1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

PellHeat any good?

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by RKBAGUY, Oct 22, 2013.

1. RKBAGUY

RKBAGUY Member

Loc:
    Milford, PA
    I'm experimenting with various pellets one bag at a time, my intent is to see what'll burn nicest in my Austroflamm Integra. I started with Cheap River and it was a mess. Right now I'm burning StoveChow from HD, but I just picked up a bag of PellHeat from my local independent hardware store. However they're expensive - almost as much as Lignetics. I think he quoted me $260 per ton cash price. Are they worth it, or should I keep looking around?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Are these the ones with the "caveman" on the bag?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Need to put some info into your signature etc so we know where your shopping:)
  4. RKBAGUY

RKBAGUY Member

Loc:
    Milford, PA
    Yep, that's them.
  5. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    I burned those about 4-5 years ago...they burned outstanding in my old pdvc but they were a bit pricey. I got them from a wood flooring company near me.
  6. RKBAGUY

RKBAGUY Member

Loc:
    Milford, PA
    How would you compare them to Lignetics? There's a seller that has Ligs for $275/ton, but these are (if memory serves) $260/ton, so given the closeness in price, which would you say is the better pellet?
  7. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Well, based on that being long ago, I'd get the Pell's....did you try any yet? They WERE very hot and very clean.
  8. Tedinski

Tedinski Member

Loc:
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    :) Just picked up Lignetics by the bag for eqv. of 240/ton. Unfortunately I don't get out that way often, so I won't be picking them up frequently!
  9. stillersnut

stillersnut Member

Loc:
    south central pa.
    Burnt them years ago, they were produced in Pa. I remember the caveman, but thought it was a different name. They did burn awesome for me, hot & clean. A very light colored pellet.
  10. Tedinski

Tedinski Member

Loc:
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    I've seen a number of mentions of "light colored" vs. "dark". What is the difference? Does a dark pellet indicate poor heat? high ash? poor quality ingredients (such as bark, etc.)?
  11. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    I'm not sure the color means very much...
  12. stillersnut

stillersnut Member

Loc:
    south central pa.
    Don't think it has anything to do with quality, but I do notice that all the oak pellets I've burnt were similar in color, light & hot