PelPro Shutdown not right. Any ideas? - See updated Control Panel pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, the Pelpro Bay View is running on manual now. However when stop is pressed the red heat setting light goes out, the auger stops and the green fan lights flash in sequence as the shut dwon process begins. Then the green lights go out but both the exhaust blower and convection blower still run even after the stove cools.

The Low Limit switch L120 "Open on Rise" was replaced and the Fan F140 switch "Close on Rise" was replaced.

The control panel seems suspect here. Anyone have a similar problem??

See pics below.

Attachments

• TRHPelProControlPanelsc.jpg
    TRHPelProControlPanelsc.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 938
  • PelpProAccutronIIcontrolPanel (1)sc.jpg
    PelpProAccutronIIcontrolPanel (1)sc.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,130
  • PelpProAccutronIIcontrolPanel (2)sc.jpg
    PelpProAccutronIIcontrolPanel (2)sc.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,047
  • PelproReferb200 (4)sc.jpg
    PelproReferb200 (4)sc.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 877
SmokeyTheBear said:
Do you still have stuff jumpered in the stove?

Hi Smokey

No

Not since I replaced the safety switches.

Is there someplace on line that I can download a wiring diagram from? I've got to get some food into me so I'll be gone for a bit.

Don,

I just read a PelPro manual and the Fan limit switch is a 140 degree close on rise (this turns the fan into high speed mode if the heat exchanger isn't dumping the heat into the room because of the fans normal setting being too low), but more importantly the low limit is a 120 degree close on rise snap disc.

Hello Smokey

After reading the manual the Low Limit switch looks like it is "Open on Rise" so I do not think it controls the fans unless there is a relay. (If so maybe relay is bad!!)
Of course it could be a bad SCR or Triac on the circuit board!!
See what I am saying below Smokey

L120 LOW LIMIT SWITCH
This limit switch is mounted on the exhaust blower housing and has 2 main functions:
Should the fire happen to go out, for any reason, this limit switch will shut the stove off when the exhaust
temperature drops below 120° F.
Upon starting the appliance, the AcuTron control board has a 15 minute “Lighting Modeâ€, if the stove
exhaust does not reach 120° F in that 15 minutes the stove will shut off. As soon as the stove
exhaust does reach 120° F, the limit switch opens and the AcuTron enters a 5 minute “Safety Delayâ€
mode.

Therefore, As a test I will unplug the circuit board and then plug the unit in and see if the fans run. If not that would point to a bad circuit board.

Don2222 said:
Hello Smokey

After reading the manual the Low Limit switch looks like it is "Open on Rise" so I do not think it controls the fans unless there is a relay. (If so maybe relay is bad!!)
Of course it could be a bad SCR or Triac on the circuit board!!
See what I am saying below Smokey

L120 LOW LIMIT SWITCH
This limit switch is mounted on the exhaust blower housing and has 2 main functions:
Should the fire happen to go out, for any reason, this limit switch will shut the stove off when the exhaust
temperature drops below 120° F.
Upon starting the appliance, the AcuTron control board has a 15 minute “Lighting Modeâ€, if the stove
exhaust does not reach 120° F in that 15 minutes the stove will shut off. As soon as the stove
exhaust does reach 120° F, the limit switch opens and the AcuTron enters a 5 minute “Safety Delayâ€
mode.

Therefore, As a test I will unplug the circuit board and then plug the unit in and see if the fans run. If not that would point to a bad circuit board.

That isn't what the manual I currently have access to has to say about that switch. Also I can't do a copy past from Google quick view so I'll down load it.

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 629
SmokeyTheBear said:
Ok, I just located the correct manual for you version of the controller.

Yes, that was the DHC control board, I have the Accutron II control board.

Also found

Dansons Customer Service at 1-877-303-3134.
Or
Technical Support
Dansons Customer Service (1-866-456-9269).

Found ther FAQ but not much help there
http://www.dansons.com/support-service-faq.html

Yeah, but number 27 is interesting as the off button controls the stoves operating mode. That sucks.

I assume you yanked the plug to kill the fans, what happened when you plugged the stove back in?

ETA: Looks like it is wired correctly going by the pictures.

SmokeyTheBear said:
I assume you yanked the plug to kill the fans, what happened when you plugged the stove back in?

ETA: Looks like it is wired correctly going by the pictures.

Yes, I shut the stove off and unplugged the ac cord. As soon as I plug the ac cord in the fans run. This should not happen. So I unplugged the AC cord then unplugged the control board. Then I plugged the AC cord in and the fans do not run.

Therefore It is a bad control board solid state relay that turns the fans on.

I also talked to a guy yesterday that has a pelpro, not the same stove but the same accutron II control board. He stated he had a power surge. After that the auger ran continuously and the fans would not stop.

My auger runs fine like it should so the control board does not have that much damage.

So my next step is to call Pelpro Tech service tomorrow.
Technical Support
Dansons Customer Service (1-866-456-9269).

I do not want to buy a whole new control board if I do not need one!

Also shop for control boards
$279.00 for AccutronIII from Missouri
http://spaplaceinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=KS-5040-1101-pro&cat=10

$279.00 AccutronII with thermostat
http://spaplaceinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=KS-5040-1101-wt-pro&cat=10

SmokeyTheBear said:
Don what happens if you lift one end of the low limit and plug it back in? Just curious .

nothing happens

Hello

Just got a boat Load of Info from Trevor in Pelpro Support in Alberta Canada!!

He says since stove shutdow takes 5 mins, the way to test the shutdown cycle is:

Unplug the pellet stove.

Jumper out the Low Limit Switch.

Plug it in and wait 5 mins.

If the stove shuts down it is the Low Limit switch which he claims must be L120 and not an F140!

If it is not the switch then, the white wire on the switch goes to the molex connecter and connects to the blue wire to the control board. He says if that molex pin connection is loose then that can also cause the problem!!

He also states he does not have a schematic to the control board. The control board manufacturer does not supply that!!

He also emailed me the stove wire diagram which IS NOT posted on the web site!! See diagram below. Click to enlarge

He also gave me the answer for the cold start issue see.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/88673/

Attachments

• PelproBayViewWireDiagram2.jpg
    PelproBayViewWireDiagram2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,706
  • PelproBayViewWireDiagram1.jpg
    PelproBayViewWireDiagram1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 848
Hello Smokey

Well I went thru all the info and did the checks that suppot said to do.

Everything is working so the problem points to the Accutron II control board.

I did cycle thru the modes to assure it was in manual mode and after I did that it seemed to go back to auto Hi/Low mode (3&4 feed lights flashing!)

So I noticed there was no jumper on the control board.
On the board it said:
Open - T-Stat
Closed - Manual mode.

Then I found this in the manual
IMPORTANT: IF THE WALL THERMOSTAT PROVIDED IS NOT USED, THE JUMPER IS
REQUIRED FOR THE STOVE TO OPERATE IN MANUAL MODE (SEE FIGURE 32).

I really do not think that has much to do with the fans not turning off but it is worth a try.
I can just clip and aligator clip across both contacts since I do not have the jumper.

Attachments

• PelproControlBoardJumper1.jpg
    PelproControlBoardJumper1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,361
I'll bet the stove heats up faster once you actually get it in manual mode and off of burn rate 1 ..... no call for heat and in high/ low mode wonderful

SmokeyTheBear said:
I'll bet the stove heats up faster once you actually get it in manual mode and off of burn rate 1 ..... no call for heat and in high/ low mode wonderful

Interesting point, but no not quite like that, I could go through the 4 heat levels manually and see the output go from 80 Deg F on Level 1 to 150 Deg F on Level 4.

Putting in the jumper did not solve the problem and did nothing so the control board is bad as I thought. No parts or info to troubleshoot to the board level although I could see that the Low Limit Switch connects the neutral from the AC plug to the board. This in turn should turn on some sort of solid state relay to turn the fans off I am sure. Oh well!

Will call support tomorrow and see what the options are. The Accutron III has the T-Stat module built in I believe. So instead of getting the optional T-Stat module for $200 to plug into the old control board, a new control board with the T-Stat option built in for $250 could even things out if it will work in my stove. I cannot get any info on the web about compatability of the Accutron II vs the Accutron III but I only see the T-Stat built in as the only difference!

We will see tomorrow!

Hello

Talked to Trevor again today.

The latest control board for these stoves is an Accutron II for $289.00 that has the T-Stat module built in. It does not come with a wall T-Stat so any 24 Volt T-Stat will work with it.

Order it right from Treavor so it takes about a week.

Hello

Well, the latest control board has the T-Stat xformer module built in, see yellow arrow. Also the red arrow shows the direct connection to a 24 volt T-Stat.

This new board should fix the shutdown problem!!

See pics of Updated Accutron II below

Attachments

• PelproUpdatedControlBoard (1)sc.jpg
    PelproUpdatedControlBoard (1)sc.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 811
  • PelproUpdatedControlBoard (2)sc.jpg
    PelproUpdatedControlBoard (2)sc.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 639
Hello

Well, just to confirm that the SCRs were blown on the old panel, the new updated control panel from Pelpro was put in today and it works like brand new!!

The fans now shut down properly when the stove is turned off after the stove cools off. Works great!! Amen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.