Penn Stove Company Lewistown - says wood but they burned coal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sldavis

Oct 27, 2014
Harrisburg PA
We just bought a home last year and there is an old stove in the basement that says Penn Company - Lewistown, model 1259. It says that it is a wood stove but the people that lived here burned coal in it. Can you tell us anything about this stove? We have searched and can't find anything on it. Thanks.

Post some pics we might be able to help more

This is what it looks like

008.JPG 009.JPG

Looks like a coal stove to me. Also old. I'm going to move this to the classic stove forum where some folks with more savvy might weigh in on it. Rick

That plastic storage bin looks awfully close to the stove. I guess you will be moving it before firing up the stove?

looks like a coal stove to me

With no shaker grate and with a data plate on it I have to think it is a wood stove from the last 30 years. Give us a pic of it with the doors open.

It could gave grates in there bb i see a round cover on the ash pan door that could cover the end of the grate and air intake on the ash pan drawer is usually a giveaway for a coal stove or a really bad wood stove. But yeah a pic with the doors open will probably clear things up

Status
Not open for further replies.