PennyWise Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dobie daddy

Apr 12, 2008
wisconsin
Ok 3rd year heating with pellets. Two Osburn inserts either one or the other is running 24/7 for primary source of heat. Anyways 3 years ago when we started heating with pellets found Somersets at the big box and started using them. I also came across the PennyWise by Marth Shavings. Tried a couple of bags and these were very dirty and lots of fines. Did I mention DIRTY. So now the PennyWise are on my sh t list. Fast forward 3 years the big box have the PennyWise pellets on sale $199.00 a ton. I check the bottom of one of the bags to feel for fines and find a lump. More garbage so I pass on them. This morning went to th big box a fresh load of the Pennywise came in. Check the bottom of one of the bags seems fine. The pellets also seem to be well packaged in nice clean bags. So I'm all in, brought 25 bags. Get home put a load in the stove, burning real good and the bag had no fines. When the ol chain and ball gets back will make another trip for 25 more bags. This will put us at five tons. Four tons CleanBurn and a ton of the PennyWise. Oh yea they are still on sale through tonite

Being a pellet pig to some degree and living in ND, we sometimes become limited to the better pellets that can be found else where. I won't have anything to do with the company you mentioned ever again and if you are having luck right now with the Penny-Wise count your blessings and hope for the best because it may not continue. Being a NuB, two years ago I went with this so called company as most of the big box stores here carried these. I thought I was in heaven going to our local Fleet Farm and making a whole winter purchase fairly cheap, this was a tip from my dealer as they were using these. My stove was new and within a two month period I had cleaned the stove more than I used it and then came the final straw..... a bolt that went through my auger system and tore that up. I had been sifting my pellets until carelessness met me at a weak moment and decided to just dump the bag in. Needless to say the whole lot of the remaining pellets went back to Fleet Farm which was another pain in the arse having to reload what had already been unloaded. Point of story......GOOD LUCK but BEWARE of foreign objects that come up mysteriously.

I just got 3 bags of Pennywise pellets tonight and got them home. A local home improvement store had them on sale ($4.27 a bag). There is a lot of fines in the first bag I opened like the pellets are kind of falling apart. Anybody else notice this?

packerfan said:
The first pellets I ever burned were made by Marth ( co. that makes pennywise) and I thought they were OK. That was until I tried other brands of pellets. I had a lot of fines and ash in the batch that I burned, and will probably never buy another Marth product again.

I don't see much west coast product my way. I tried the Marth and must have gotten a good batch. They kicked some of my local brands tail end. Love to see some of the other brands my way. But I guess its just to costly to ship them here.

jtakeman said:
....... I tried the Marth and must have gotten a good batch. They kicked some of my local brands tail end. Love to see some of the other brands my way.......

I agree with Jay. I test-burned some Marth pellets about 3 weeks ago, and they burned great. Fines weren't bad, and they had a great clean wood smell. Based on what I experienced, I'd have no problem burning them.

hey daydreamer,

Sorry if i led u astray. Marths have always been a miss until I came across this batch this year.
The batch I have is smoking hot. I would say even hotter then the cleanburns.
Here is the lot# mpp27409. Be advise that a change of product quality can occur during the same
lot. Oh yea I could not resist, 1 more ton.

from wut i understand it's hit and miss wit marth as they buy their raw material anywhere they can get ahold of it.
varies batch to batch-year to year
i burned their white bag hardwoods this year and didnt like them

Status
Not open for further replies.