People are cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
Just got back from a friends house, 3,000 sq ft and foam insulated ( non-wood burner). It was funny I took my 11 year old son over to this buddies house and I notice my son wanting to leave. He has his Detroit Tigers hoodie on and is throwing out yawns and stretches like they are going out of style. So we leave and during the car ride home he says " Dad you can tell they don't heat with wood" I found this funny that my youngest kid is spoiled with wood burning heat. Now he needs to help stack since he enjoys the heat.

I hear you. My total fuel bill for last year was around $300 for hot water, cooking, and heat. House was always between a glorious 70 and 80. Neighbors spent 4000 on oil and was wearing sweaters all winter.

Good to hear the Osburn is working out for you, Ed.

All electric house and I have never seen a bill over $180. And that was just one time. I cannot imagine four grand to heat a house. !!! Of course I am in the tropics, but still...

All electric house and I have never seen a bill over $180. And that was just one time. I cannot imagine four grand to heat a house. !!! Of course I am in the tropics, but still...
Same here, so why the heck am I CSS and hauling in wood to feed a wood stove?

It would cost me a fortune to heat this place with electric heating. When we lost the furnace five years ago I bought three space heaters. The electric bill was about $550 for that month. And the heaters were just good enough to keep it 55 degrees in parts of the house.

Reactions: Ashful
A lesson that will serve your son well his whole life!
You have trained and taught him well.
It does sink after a while.
Nice job. Train your kids up right!

I can heat with electric baseboards if i choose just adds $70 to the bill.

But i love wood heat.

Is that a rhetorical question?
We around here joke all the time about how much money I save heating with wood. Which it really is kind of a joke. I do it cause I enjoy being in the woods and using equipment and I enjoy warm wood heat. But when it comes right down to it I will never save enough on the electric bill to pay back my investment to heat with wood. Actually if I bought every stick of firewood I could save a bundle.

Reactions: pen
I can heat with electric baseboards if i choose just adds $70 to the bill.

But i love wood heat.

I farted in the wrong direction last month and my electric bill went up $70. Utilities around here are through the roof.

Wood heat is a huge money saver for us.

he says " Dad you can tell they don't heat with wood my back was even starting to hurt"........Now he needs to help stack since he enjoys the heat.
So his back is going to hurt either way... ;lol

I farted in the wrong direction last month and my electric bill went up $70. Utilities around here are through the roof.

Wood heat is a huge money saver for us.

Don't ever move to Leisure Village, Dom.... they're all electric :eek:

Seriously, here it's oil or electric for heat. Urbanites and newer developments have the NG option, but not most of us here. $4000 for oil sounds about right as to what it would cost for me.

Same here, so why the heck am I CSS and hauling in wood to feed a wood stove?

The reason it hasn't been over $180 is because the house has been heated with wood from year one. 1985. Had it not been I don't even wanna know what the electric bills would have been. Well, I do know. I did my first test of electric heat on twenty degree nights last week. It would work out to four hundred a month just for the heat part.

The reason it hasn't been over $180 is because the house has been heated with wood from year one. 1985. Had it not been I don't even wanna know what the electric bills would have been. Well, I do know. I did my first test of electric heat on twenty degree nights last week. It would work out to four hundred a month just for the heat part.
Our highest electric bills are for summertime cooling but even then we have rarely seen 180.00. In winter right now with family of 4 and electric water heater we average 100.00.

I bought this house about three years ago, my first gas/electric bill was $390 for the month (DEC). I went out and bought an insert that month. Since then I haven't seen a winter bill over $220 and this was only burning on nights and weekends. New stove Im looking at $150 monthly bills

Whenever I visit my brother in law in CT I end up nearly freezing to death.

Reactions: ScotO
We've always heated with electric or gas in our other houses and typically set the thermostat at 68 - 70. We never were completely comfortable but it was necessary. With this stove the house is usually at around 74 without trying and we are more comfy/cozy than ever. The amount of wood necessary to go from 70 to 74 doesn't seem like that much.

I think a lot of it is the feeling that every time the furnace goes on, you see dollars flying away so you keep the thermostat down. Somehow bringing wood in doesn't have the same impact even though it does represent a lot of work last season.

We've always heated with electric or gas in our other houses and typically set the thermostat at 68 - 70. We never were completely comfortable but it was necessary. With this stove the house is usually at around 74 without trying and we are more comfy/cozy than ever. The amount of wood necessary to go from 70 to 74 doesn't seem like that much.

I think a lot of it is the feeling that every time the furnace goes on, you see dollars flying away so you keep the thermostat down. Somehow bringing wood in doesn't have the same impact even though it does represent a lot of work last season.

When we do turn on the gas we keep the thermostat at 68, Im sure the wife will boost that when Im not home.

My friend, always has his place at around 65 or less, his significant other is always making comments about it. She also makes comments about my place being so warm. It is funny when I stop over there as she will have a down vest on all winter. They are not wood burners ( yet) although there are a couple fireplaces in their place but I can't convince them to put inserts in. Its not like he has to do any thing for wood as I keep them supplied for their ambiance fires. Ramping that up is not a problem. This is my best friend from way back in grade school days almost lost him to cancer about 12 years ago. Just for reference we are in our 60's.

My electric bill is around $250 lower per month year round since we started partially heating with wood. The electric bill is averaged so the wood heat savings are averaged too.

Reactions: etiger2007
I can't wait to get this second stove online. I already got my oil deliveries down to one per month with one stove (was every two weeks before), and hoping for just once every 8 weeks, with two stoves running.

Reactions: etiger2007
Status
Not open for further replies.