People desperate for woodstoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
I bought a nice, big older Kodiak woodstove in beautiful condition at a yardsale for $100 with the thought of either using it as a secondary woodstove in our addition or reselling it and using the cash to buy a new stove. I listed it once on Craigslist about 5 weeks ago for $300. I fussed around the first 2 weeks with people trying to talk me down to $200, then decided to just keep it for this season and buy a new one next year. Hopefully a barely used one off someone who has decided wood burning wasn't for them.

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago, it starts getting relatively cold around here - hitting upper 40s at night and highs in the low 70s during the day in stead of mid-80s. Apparently that's enough to get people to start panicking about how they are going to afford to heat this year. For the past 2 weeks, I've gotten 3-4 e-mails every day from people wanting to know if it's still available and offering to buy it sight unseen, no questions asked. The local Lowes and HD are out of the bigger stoves as well.

I've gotta keep an eye out for more deals on woodstoves. And start finding more firewood to sell to all these people.

It's funny, I bought my first wood stove 15 years ago not because the cost of heating with oil was high, heck it was cheap! I bought the stove (a used franklin of all things) because if the power went down during the winter I wanted some kind of back-up.

I know I'm not the only one that thinks of things like power outages and ice storms. Now add into the equation oil and gas are very expensive and could go higher. New heating equipment sales and services are also expensive leaving many stuck with outdated potentially unsafe inefficient heating systems. Global geopolitical issues make fuel shortages more likely than ever and the farmers almanac is predicting a colder than normal winter.

All this adds up to a banner year to be in the wood heat business. With all this used wood stove business I expect it to also be a busy year for our brave firemen.

Anyone you know wanna buy some nice hemlock, I got tons of the stuff.

6 mos ago I couldn't give our Shenandoah r77 away last sat the wife sold it for 100.

FireWalker said:
It's funny, I bought my first wood stove 15 years ago not because the cost of heating with oil was high, heck it was cheap! I bought the stove (a used franklin of all things) because if the power went down during the winter I wanted some kind of back-up.

I know I'm not the only one that thinks of things like power outages and ice storms. Now add into the equation oil and gas are very expensive and could go higher. New heating equipment sales and services are also expensive leaving many stuck with outdated potentially unsafe inefficient heating systems. Global geopolitical issues make fuel shortages more likely than ever and the farmers almanac is predicting a colder than normal winter.

All this adds up to a banner year to be in the wood heat business. With all this used wood stove business I expect it to also be a busy year for our brave firemen.

Wait until you have a 56 year old back and deal with all the wood. ;-)

They told me a long time ago to start plugging a retirement account and I have. Maybe by the time I get to age 56 and my old back can't hump anymore wood I'll not be worried as I have all that money that has been growing for me...............

At this rate I'll be lucky to have two splits to rub together when I'm 65, I'll be a hunch back and I'll still have to work to make ends meet.

Sorry folks, Im feeling a little down today as I'm starting to think the people running our fine country are leading us down the garden path.

I'm stocking up on firewood and canned goods and I just serviced my generator. :smirk:

p.s. and oh yea I just paid my school taxes for the year. :down:

Keep the faith. A few of us passed that mark awhile ago and are still gathering wood (and wool).

BeGreen said:
Keep the faith. A few of us passed that mark awhile ago and are still gathering wood (and wool).

Yep! Life begins at retirement :) :) :)

I've had three back operations and I'm 61. Five cord were cut last year and split and covered this spring. My hope is to get in ten cord this winter.

Ken

FireWalker said:
...I'm starting to think the people running our fine country are leading us down the garden path...

I'd say we've already been in the garden for a few years now. Rick

I’d say we’ve already been in the garden for a few years now
Yep, and I talked to a good friend today who had me looking at the phone saying "WTH?"

I find myself listening to my Mother's voice from all those years ago (Who was born in 1933, and lived thru the depression in a pretty poor manner). She never forgot. Guess I learned alot of lessons that I didn't realize I had learned %-P

Stocking up and getting ready.

Hang onto your hats, it's going to be a bumpy ride !!! (to qoute Bette Davis ! :coolsmirk: )

Caber is right I checked craigs list tonight and searched key words as follows Pellet, Stoves, Stove pipe, and wanted it is unreal the amount of people searching for any type of stove.

I thought about working a deal with a buddy of mine this summer- who lives in SE Connecticut, to get used stoves there and bring them up to Vermont and resell them. Didn't happen. I just don't have the time to buy and sell, but I could see a few hundred dollars or more to be made on a stove, pretty easily.

I hope people are still desperate in my locale? Just advertised my PE insert for 400 and have had but one call so far. But with new door gasket, window gasket, and less than 50 cords burned, I sure as hell ain`t gonna give it away. We shall see, it won`t show up in the Island (buy and sell mag) till next Tuesday. Only advertised locally so far. The other paper covers the entire island.

Maybe the all have them already? We're in an area where the bulk of people are in subdivisions and do not have woodstoves or even working fireplaces. Most of us out in the rural areas have them because we have the wood available. It's not so frigid in the winter that previously large numbers of people would have demanded them before the panic of high oil costs set in. But cold enough that you do need constant heating October thru April and thus people are looking for a way not to have to buy oil for the first time.

I know when I sold my old stove back in the spring, the person that bought it actually paid $50 more for it then what I was asking. I had people beating down my door when I posted the add. It sold in two days.

budman said:
FireWalker said:

Wait until you have a 56 year old back and deal with all the wood. ;-)

Or an even much older back. But what the... Yes, I'm older than that and still deal with all the wood. So much, in fact, that we have about a 7 year supply on hand and I can hardly wait to get started on the next wood pile, which happens soon.

I say don't worry about the work and bad back. I have a terrible back due to polio and an injury and still put up all of our own firewood. Sure, it takes me much, much longer than most people, but I do get the job done and we stay nice and warm all winter. Wood is our only source of heat and has been for many, many moons, paleface. We like it that way too!

So, bad back and all, just do it.

I sold my All Nighter Jumbo Moe last spring for $500 to a guy that drove over a 100 miles pulling a trailer to get it.

Paid $750 plus in 1980 becuse it weighed 500lbs and had a big firebox.

Still a good deal vs the 3-4 times as expensive ( and much better) and will conserve some petrodollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.