People (neighbours) actually "enjoy" the smell of burning firewood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownPA

Feb 15, 2007
Newtown, PA
I don't know about you, but my neighbours actually enjoy the smell of firewood burning. I know that ever since I was very young I enjoyed the smell of firewood. It's sort of like incense and sometimes I purposefully let a whisp of smoke into my livingroom to make it smell nice. :)

I've always loved the smell of wood smoke, probably a LITTLE too much.

True story: When I was a little boy, probably younger than 8, I used to make fires all the time outside my grandparents house in a firepit. I always had my head in the smoke and I guess I was always breathing it in. I loved that smell so much and I liked getting close to the fire to see what was really going on.

Somewhere in this time period, I started wheezing at night and coughing and mom took me to the doctors. Doctor said I was developing adolescent asthma or something like it. Mom spoke up and told him about the fires and how close I always as to them. Needless to say, they gave me an inhaler and a line was drawn around the firepit that I was not allowed to cross.

Asthma went away over time thankfully, but the love of fire did not. :)

Corie said:
I've always loved the smell of wood smoke, probably a LITTLE too much.

True story: When I was a little boy, probably younger than 8, I used to make fires all the time outside my grandparents house in a firepit. I always had my head in the smoke and I guess I was always breathing it in. I loved that smell so much and I liked getting close to the fire to see what was really going on.

Somewhere in this time period, I started wheezing at night and coughing and mom took me to the doctors. Doctor said I was developing adolescent asthma or something like it. Mom spoke up and told him about the fires and how close I always as to them. Needless to say, they gave me an inhaler and a line was drawn around the firepit that I was not allowed to cross.

Asthma went away over time thankfully, but the love of fire did not. :)

:) Your parents should have told you to stand on the side where the wind ISN'T blowing - and then you can get as close as you want! :)

Nice story! :)

That COULD have been me - I applied for that Survivor (along with two more).

The VERY odd thing was that he healed in a miracle way! There were ZERO scares on his hands three weeks later!!

Their Doc's must have been better then the current Survivor with Papa Smurfs undetected ant bite poisoning.

Ant bite? I didn't pick up on that. Maybe I didn't see the whole show.
If I ever got on that show I would make darn sure I knew how to make fire and maybe catch fish with things available.

Thread Jack - sorry - last post on the subject

The Ants were never made public. He was in the hospital for two days before they figured out that he was sleeping outside because of his snoring and he had 10,000 fire ant bites on him. Then it took another 4 days to detox him.

I had thought he broke a rib or something.

OK - back to the regular thread - sorry!

Grinder said:
Thread Jack - sorry - last post on the subject

The Ants were never made public. He was in the hospital for two days before they figured out that he was sleeping outside because of his snoring and he had 10,000 fire ant bites on him. Then it took another 4 days to detox him.

I had thought he broke a rib or something.

OK - back to the regular thread - sorry!

No problem with the thread-jack. I too was wondering why papa-smurf was suffering so. I thought maybe he injured his kidney with that slip-fall on the plastic slidy mat thingy.

I just taped a show about army ants. Holy wow, some ants are NOT TO MESS WITH! They can literally KILL you!

Ok, back to the smell of firewood! :)

I have an outdoor firepit. I'm looking foreward to burning up a half cord on that this spring/summer! Gotta get out my beer and marshmallows! :)

Doesn’t EVERYONE like that smell?? Honestly - too me it’s almost a comfort smell! . . . . unless it’s my house on fire!

Gotta agree with you guys...The house on fire? (i.e. what we call 'urban renewal' in these parts...as long as it's someone elses' house) sometimes people like that smell too!

In all seriousness though:
Why is my woodboiler 'outside'??? The local FD is a great bunch...unfortunately with all the local cutbacks...I need all the protection I can get. Nov 04' we 'lost' two six family tenaments in one weekend! (one Sat. night...the one below Sunday Night...) Both due to 'careless' smoking...no deaths or major injuries luckily...This fire made the people 'take a serious look at FD budget'

Attachments

• Web 30F04-8-29(11-16).jpg
    Web 30F04-8-29(11-16).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 243
I do enjoy the smell of a 'good fire'...whether in my own stove (boiler)...or when I venture 'into the deep woods' to light a campfire and drink a few beers with friends. The reason I made the comment above is this: People who 'burn wood' know the difference (of what is burning)...some can even go "MMffff...Pine, MMFFF...oak, MMFFF...poplar...MMFFF..Holy Chit call 911".

Unfortunately there are alot of people out there that can't. Those people that can't? Cause problems...for me. I was using my "outdoor boiler" for eight months...nobody knew it...these two fires come along...everyone get's paranoid and dials 911 at the slightest 'hint of smoke'.

Status
Not open for further replies.