Peoria Oak 712

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shmelvin

Sep 25, 2023
Wyoming
I just purchased a Peoria Oak 712 stove, does anyone know anything about it? I now see it is mfg by Culter & Proctor.

Peoria.jpg

Last edited:
You have a parlor coal stove. What were you looking for as far as information?

It’s black and it shouldn’t be.

Are you restoring it?

How old is it? and what's wrong with Black? I could only find black in High temp paint when I got it it was rusty and looked terrible.

new stove.jpg
now it looks much better

The company was started in 1867. It looks like they were still active in the 1920s.

How old is it? and what's wrong with Black? I could only find black in High temp paint when I got it it was rusty and looked terrible.
Trim parts of that stove were nickel plated, not blacked.

It was rusty because the bare iron parts were stove blacked with polish before high temperature paints were formulated. Polish is not impermeable to water vapor in the air, so the iron under it rusts, requiring reapplication.

Last edited: