Pepperoni

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascade Failure

Feeling the Heat
Sep 18, 2010
SE CT
So...I have come to believe that with moisture meters, various stoves, different climates , etc...blah, blah, blah...we need a TRUE standard against which we can judge our wood burning results.

I submit to you....the pepperoni taste test.

Some background....over the years I have burned wood of varying qualities and in different systems. The results have been mixed. As a wood burning afficianado I continually seek the best combo for my family. Battenkiller, Backwoods Savage and a few select others have supplied incredible, but sometimes conflicting, information. What to do?

2 years ago I entered the phase some may know as WTHAID? aka "what the hell am I doing?" I struggled but, by chance, I discovered...I KNEW what to do!

One morning, pacing near the stove I accidentally dropped some, ok, quite a bit, of pepperoni slices on the stove. Don't judge, I work night shift and bourbon washed down by pepperoni is not unheard of....

So... As I am picking slices off of the Shenandoah I realize...some slices taste better than others. Thanks to the bourbon I don't know if the slice has been on the stove 5 seconds or 5 days. All I really know is that some pepperoni slices REALLY tasted much better than others. A few days, a few bottles, a cord, and who knows how many pounds of processed meat later someone found me. The intervention was not pretty.

Realizing my addiction I chose to check into a self-help facility. Yes, I mean rehab; worse yet, it was an oil heated facility but, I knew that if I were to heal myself I must make sacrifices. My poison wasn't available in ANY form. So...I sucked it up.

Finally, I came home. My loving family, wishing to avoid me any possible stress which could lead to a relapse, provided me with, comfort, nourishment, and, knowing my preference for a warm stove, the Shenandoah was well into the coaling stage. A day or two go by and I realize...I have a fully stocked ...

...fridge!

My poor family thinks it was all about the bourbon....suckers!

I work feverishly! Finally, months later, I discover, 27 seconds per side, per slice...the perfect stove temp. I am warm and my quest is over.

So... I submit to you..as the cops are beating on my door looking to bring me to the local looney bin for an eval, my family is filing multiple probate suits, and my co-workers are wondering, "Is that nut job coming back?"...should I cover my pepperoni if I am ever let near a stove again? Is a manually knife ok for slicing or should I go electric?

Gas powerd knife. (Fill you saw with veggie oil) :lol:

Hell yes it was funny :lol:

Just please tell me you are not a surgeon?!?

It can affect the response time to post

What about salami?

My question, too--stovetop temps? If you could slide some heavy furniture in front of the door long enough to learn this and post back, you can consider your life well lost for the good of the common order. And does the type of heat matter? Is it 450F on the way up, so to speak, or on the way back down? Does thermal mass from the room have an impact?

And . . . we got your back, y'know . . . yeah . . . just try to post that before they come, okay?

Definitely keep your pepperoni covered, especially near the stove.

BeGreen said:

Now THAT was Freudian. :lol:

"I don't know how you guys walk around with those things"

Jags said:
BeGreen said:

Now THAT was Freudian. :lol:

More Kinseyan I would posit, also simply practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.