percentage of heating season complete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barkeatr

Jan 22, 2011
Upstate NY
I know about degree days and the like but i was wondering what folks "feel" is on this. What percentage of the season is complete? My guess is 53%. Feb can be a killer here and the heating season seems to linger forever into late May. what do you all feel we are at here on Jan 17?

barkeatr said:
I know about degree days and the like but i was wondering what folks "feel" is on this. What percentage of the season is complete? My guess is 53%. Feb can be a killer here and the heating season seems to linger forever into late May. what do you all feel we are at here on Jan 17?
I put it at 51 percent, lol. Halfway seems to be a real good guess Barkeatr, Randy

The old timers had a saying. "You should have half your wood and half your hay at Ground Hog Day" This year as mild as it has been I will have more than half my years firewood at that time.

Half you wood and half you hay by Midimus day. Works for me on hay, and is about right in the old farmhouse. If you have a house with good solar gain, the halfway point for heat is a couple of weeks earlier in a typical winter.
We are well below the 'average' in heating degree days. To make up the average, we will pay for this warmer weather, so don't put in less wood next fall, you just might need all the more!

Tom

im thinking you all are right, im opptimisitc with my 53. Im downgradting to 47.5%. what is midimus day? I like the groundhog day 50% thing..i can remember that.

Winter 2010/2011 I started in September 2010 and quit in May 2011. I planned and worked to meet a repeat to be on the safe side. It feels like I am ahead right now but Jan 15-Feb 15 is usually the hardest here (IMHO and weather records seem to coincide) but I ainta takin a bait. It's storming right now and another is on the way. A deep snow like happened in Alaska would give me adifferent feeling. Looking ahead though if I don't use all I have this year I'll hopefully have a jump on next so I have apprehension to be optimistic. Keep your stick on the ice, the shovel close by and enough food and gas for the generator to allow you to be comfortable without regrets. Upper 40%...!

Status
Not open for further replies.