Perfect marriage between pellet boiler and oil boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceguy4

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2011
Upstate, NY
Utica 3 pass 86+% oil boiler W/field controls oil vent damper combined with a Harman PB 105

Plumbed series so I can bring all 200,000+ btu's online...all controlled by existing oil burner controls, and an intellidyne hw+ model 3250.

Last night...-16° heating 2 buildings P B 105...full tilt ...oil burner ran .2 or 12 minutes!!! (intellidyne hw+ model 3250) I suspect the oil was necessary to bring zones back up from DEEP setback (my setback temp ..50°) .178 gallons oil!... and 6 bags pellets....warm corners...priceless

Glad to hear that your system is performing the way it should.

6 bags of pellets equals 10# per hour for a 24 hour period. The PB105 is rated up to 13.5# per hour. You may be able to get more out if it yet. What pellets are you burning? Also, if you burn a higher btu pellet, this may help.

Glad to hear that your system is performing the way it should.

6 bags of pellets equals 10# per hour for a 24 hour period. The PB105 is rated up to 13.5# per hour. You may be able to get more out if it yet. What pellets are you burning? Also, if you burn a higher btu pellet, this may help.
I'm running feed rate a smidge over 4 now. I ran it at 5 with a dirty burnpot and had pellets in my ash pan. I only burned .178 gallons or around 2 1/2 cups!!! On a -16° night!!! I can live with that. I need more pellets so I'm gonna try some vermonts and see what all the "hub-bub" is about.

That sounds just like my setup. I have a Utica oil boiler and added my PB105 in parallel. I can run them both at once if I had to - like when the pellet boiler runs out of pellets over night and my water temperature is extremely low and the wife wants it warm as soon as possible.

I'm running feed rate a smidge over 4 now. I ran it at 5 with a dirty burnpot and had pellets in my ash pan. I only burned .178 gallons or around 2 1/2 cups!!! On a -16° night!!! I can live with that. I need more pellets so I'm gonna try some vermonts and see what all the "hub-bub" is about.
Iceguy, I see your a big proponent of the PB105. I'm moving on from my PB60 since I found out the hard way that it's not big enough to heat my home. Long story short, the dealer thought it would be but a year later I'm finding that's not the case. Anyhow, one of the downfalls when the PB60 was working was the cleanup. It was quite laborious. Would you mind pointing out some pro's and con's of the PB105 since I'm considering making the switch? I also have an oil boiler that is 102 btu's. This has always been enough to heat my home so I'd like to know if the comparison to the PB105 is apples to apples. It looks like you have an oil boiler as well. I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give as I don't want to go through what I went through with the PB60.

Iceguy, I see your a big proponent of the PB105. I'm moving on from my PB60 since I found out the hard way that it's not big enough to heat my home. Long story short, the dealer thought it would be but a year later I'm finding that's not the case. Anyhow, one of the downfalls when the PB60 was working was the cleanup. It was quite laborious. Would you mind pointing out some pro's and con's of the PB105 since I'm considering making the switch? I also have an oil boiler that is 102 btu's. This has always been enough to heat my home so I'd like to know if the comparison to the PB105 is apples to apples. It looks like you have an oil boiler as well. I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give as I don't want to go through what I went through with the PB60.
Don't leave out the equivalent priced Kedel if you are in the Northeast. They have reps in NY too now.

I thought in a previous post you had seen their operation and were a proponent of Vermonts and their product?

You may want to search for the many many threads on PB105 burnpots cracking. That would be enough to steer me far from these models.

.178 gallons oil!... and 6 bags pellets....warm corners...priceless
Perfect marriage.. yeah I guess so. One (the pellet stove) is doing all the work and the other is loafing. A typical marriage.
No really, I realize that is quite an accomplishment. Congrats and let us know how it performs as time goes by.

Reactions: iceguy4
Perfect marriage.. yeah I guess so. One (the pellet stove) is doing all the work and the other is loafing. A typical marriage.
No really, I realize that is quite an accomplishment. Congrats and let us know how it performs as time goes by.

LOL

I thought in a previous post you had seen their operation and were a proponent of Vermonts and their product?
Yes I do like their operation...and the owner...total CLASS ACT. My stove (boiler) does not require a hi-grade pellet (some do) They are too far from me ...and they are not taking on new "dealers" at the moment (I would absolutely become a dealer given the chance) For me, a $200/ton pellet works great!!! Although I do believe different pellets contain different amounts of BTU's, I cannot justify the price difference. even if I burn more pellets due to lower BTU output, I don't believe its enough to justify the added expense ( I burn 10 tons @ $200/ton...=$2000/ yr. I figure if I would use less with a better pellet....say 8 tons of a better quality pellet,,,@ $280/ ton=$2240/yr. My way is better and I don't have to rely on someone else's opinion of pellet quality (a lot of people here are addicted to the Kool-Aid served up here.).." I use these for the shoulder season ...ect...ect..."ridiculous!! ...

Would you mind pointing out some pro's and con's of the PB105 since I'm considering making the switch?
Love to...Pro's. first and foremost...its a HARMAN.....burns ANYTHING. Much savings can be realized by burning low dollar pellets. Very large ash pan....quite easy to clean Bottom/side feed.... Cons...Honestly aside from the burnpot problem , I cant think of one (BTW...my newly designed burn pot has burned more pellets then old one and shows no sign of problems)...

like when the pellet boiler runs out of pellets over night
That problem could be solved by adding a $2000.00 bulk hopper (one investment I am VERY glad I made)

My way is better and I don't have to rely on someone else's opinion of pellet quality (a lot of people here are addicted to the Kool-Aid served up here.).." I use these for the shoulder season ...ect...ect..."ridiculous!! ...
You're right! As long as the pellets aren't causing a problem, it comes down to $/BTU. From what I can tell the sweet point is just above the junk heap pellets like Infernos.
The only other reason I can see for going with the high dollar pellets is if the stove is really too small for the space it is heating. Then a higher BTU pellet may deliver enough to squeak by in the extreme weather.
People just like to have something to tinker with. Next we will probably be hearing about somebody's custom blend of pellets. To each his own.

Reactions: iceguy4
You're right! As long as the pellets aren't causing a problem, it comes down to $/BTU. From what I can tell the sweet point is just above the junk heap pellets like Infernos.
The only other reason I can see for going with the high dollar pellets is if the stove is really too small for the space it is heating. Then a higher BTU pellet may deliver enough to squeak by in the extreme weather.
People just like to have something to tinker with. Next we will probably be hearing about somebody's custom blend of pellets. To each his own.
You have common sense....its not common anymore....

Hmmmm....never thought about creating a custom blend. Gotta sit down with a few beers and think on that!
Here we go...the start of a beer thread!!! I'm close to where the Mohawk and Hudson merge... If your close maybe I'll buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.