Perimeter baseboard pipes ever freeze when heating with wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hestia

Jan 21, 2008
Eastern MA
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it does have to do with heating with wood. I was talking with someone yesterday about how we will be heating with wood. He asked what kind of current heating system we have - we have forced hot water cast iron baseboard that practically lines the outside edges of the rooms. He said that he knew someone whose pipes burst, as it had been heating "from the outside in, and then he was heating from the inside out." We do have a concern about our bedroom, which is always 10 degrees cooler than the attached back hallway. Probably at 50 degrees now. When we begin burning, we think that the heat will keep the main rooms warm,with the bedrooms much cooler. We also have a bathroom on the far end of our bedroom that I avoid in the winter, as it is cold. My dh uses it. We keep the door open to it, and have not had problems. The guy yesterday recommended turning on the circulators every hour or so. What a pain. What do you all recommend? We have a "U" shaped ranch, our bedroom is exposed on three sides. The stove will unfortunately (there is no other possible configuration because of a small hallway) be in the other end of the "U" - we have talked about running an insulated vent through the attic to the back hall and run a fan, or using box fans. Anyone have problems with pipes in the rest of the house once you heated half your house? What to do?

Hestia

I had the same concerns as you. I purchased a wireless remote thermometer and placed the sensor in my basement in the farthest coldest corner. It did get cold and I think I had a few 34 deg readings on cold days. What I did was kick the furnace on for a few minutes a couple times a day when it was really cold out, no problems to date.

There is anti-freeze you can put into conventional basebord systems. Not sure about using it with a wood system.

This is a good reason to carefully caulk the perimeter sill plate and and seal all air leaks. Then insulate that area up to the bottom of the floor above. It'll be a bit warmer there hopefully and less likely to freeze perimeter pipes. I like the idea of a remote thermometer in the basement as well or a freeze alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.