Perimeter sprays to discourage yard ticks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
We are spending much more time in our yard now that we have a new puppy, but we're picking up a lot of ticks. The puppy will have a tick one-spot treatment so I am less worried about the puppy and more worried about the family.

Our 1 acre homesite is in a wooded area with about 1/4 of it grassy yard and the rest of it wooded. Lots of humid leaf matter which is where I hear the ticks live until they pick up a host (from my own experience I get a lot in grass, the taller the more I get them). I am considering a yard/perimeter spray but some initial research suggests this has to be applied with enough force to get under the leaf matter to soak the tick. I just don't see that as feasible given the amount of leaf matter in my wooded lot.

I mainly want something that I can spray the immediate yard and close woodlines with to either deter or kill some percentage of them. Reducing their numbers is the best I can hope for. Anybody know of a yard product that works?

I know of nothing you spray but I don't spray much.
I think that ticks crawl to higher places and then hitch a ride when something passes by.
The only thing I know is for you and your animals to avoid higher vegetation including trees.
Most of the ones we encounter are carried in by our dogs who run through the woods and fields.

We have had good luck with the granual stuff you can find at Lowes or the like. We apply it with a grass seed spreader right before a rain.

Chickens!

I don't spray as my dogs run free over my 12 acres and the nat'l forest. When your pup is old enough the only thing that keeps ticks from attaching is a good prescription tick collar - not the ones at wally world. In my experience revolution/advantage multi will not keep ticks off dogs, we have a new pup that gets it applied during his checkups, and I still remove ~5/day off of him, my grown dogs get collars in april and once in a while I see a tick crawling on them after running through the woods. Of course since they don't attach they will hitch a ride on the dog, and you'll likely find one crawling on you.
My neighbor was telling me a bout a pill she gives to her yard dogs and they never get ticks, my vet said this pill was usually only good for ~2wks.

Status
Not open for further replies.