Permanent haze

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobforsaken

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Maine
Is it possible for the ceramic glass to get a permanent haze? I don't know the history of the stove, but I can't seem to remove a haze on the window. It seems clean after using stove glass cleaner, apple cider vineger... but the haze remains. What is strange is that the glass seems clear when wet. As soon as it dries its nearly opaque. I'm afraid that previous owners did something while cleaning the glass that has left the glass damaged beyond repair.

Any tips... I was thinking of trying a car wax that fills in scratches or rain-x to see if I can make it better.

Suggestions?

Sounds like the glass was cleaned with an abrasive. I wouldn't use any sort of coating material. They could make it worse under high heat. If it is badly scratched it may be best to just live with it for now. The ceramic glass can be replaced for under $100 if desired.

bummer... I'll live with it for now. On the bright side.. I wont have to worry about cleaning the glass!

That's the spirit. Sounds like the stove was free due to neglect. But as long as the basics are solid, you are still way ahead. If you can renovate the stove for under $200 for glass, baffle material and paint, it's still a fantastic deal.

Thanks. I'm going to focus on making sure the stove is working up to snuff (and finish my chimney install). If I have to live with dirty looking glass, then so be it. At least I'll be warm. I'll keep my eyes pealed replacement glass or door on ebay until I can score a deal. Still... Blackswan has the glass for $149 if I ever feel so compelled.

http://www.blackswanhome.com/product/front-door-glass-3100-millennuim-/6355

One thing you could try is jeweler's rouge. We used to use it to rub out haze on aircraft canopy that had been crazed. It takes a lot of rubbing but won't scratch anything.

Thanks for the Tip BB. I'll give it a shot.

Be Green, Onedayglass was far cheaper than anything else I've seen. Thanks.. I'm bookmarking them!

Unfortunately, new glass is the only solution to this white haze. You need to consider the glass to be a wearing part of the stove, and if you want it to be crystal clear, you'll have to replace it every few years when the haze builds to the point where it bugs you. My understanding of what's happening is that the inside surface of the glass develops microscopic pits that grow. I spoke with a glass manufacturer at one point about this and they pointed out that ceramic glass is actually porous. I've tried everything including abrasives with a buffing wheel to grind out the haze, but it doesn't do anything. The pitting must be too deep.

Having heated with wood for about 13 years now, I have replaced the glass 3 times in my Napoleon stove. The first replacement was after only a couple years, before I realized that ammonia-based glass cleaner will greatly accelerate this process.

I clean the glass every morning using normal (AMMONIA-FREE) glass cleaner when I reload the firebox. The fire burns hot, so the glass is always soot-free, but will develop a slight coating of white ash after a couple days, so I've just developed the habit of opening the door wide open while I get coffee in the morning. With the glass cooled sufficiently, I clean up the glass, shovel ash out of the firebox, pull the remaining coals forward and load it up again, good for another 8-9 hours.

The glass in my door today has a bit of haze now, but you don't really notice it when the fire's going, so I probably have another couple years before I change it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.