Persistent Metallic Squeaking Noise in Quadra Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wsirwin33

Jan 2, 2009
Terrace Bay, Canada
I have two quadra fire classic bay 1200 inserts and have for the most part been happy with them. I purchased them two years ago and am diligent about the regular maintenance as I usually burn about a bag a day in each for 5-6 months of the year ... Canada is very cold!!!

One of them has recently started making a persistent metallic squeaking noise and I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this problem. I am wondering if maybe I have to clean the combustion or convection blowers (manual says to do it once a year but doesn't tell you how and I am a few hours from the closest dealer. Anyone else have a similar problems.

The noise is not like the usual metallic bumps or sounds but can go on as long as a few minutes on and off and usually only starts when the fan is blowing.

Pellet buddies of the world unite ... any tips???

Seasons Greetings to All

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 372
I have a classic bay 1200 insert and it started making a very loud annoying squealing noise when started up. The combustion blower is the source of the squeal. It sounds almost identical to a loud belt squeal coming from under the hood of an automobile.

The stove was installed October 2008

Quadra Fire is replacing the combustion motor under warranty.

Make sure your door and panel is not rubing against the motor. Mine was doing that and can make a squealing noise.

I never even thought of the door idea, but I will check that when I get home. I don't think it is the combustion motor as it onl makes the sound when the fan kicks in, not at the initial startup. The sound comes and goes a lot and is in no way consistent. I gave my fan a real good cleaning and that seemed to work for a day but then it came back. How do you clean your fans?

I noticed that my gaskets on my door are starting to fray in one corner?

My cleaning process (every 1-2 days):
- let the stove cool
- pull the cleaning rods
- open and vacuum the inside thoroughly and use a toothbrush and scraper on the firepot
- clean the firebox
- clean the glass

* every couple of weeks I take off the baffles and give it a good cleaning under there and brush off the heat exchangers

* yearly I clean the exhaust path and chimney liner and around it for dust

??? Anything I am missing ???

Thanks a lot for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.