Personal Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner

Sep 20, 2006
Southern Ontario
Don't know if it has been done, but how about some info from everybody.

1.Type of stove?

2.Location?

3.24/7 or occasional burner?

4.# of cords burned?

5.Type of saw?

6. Splitter or Maul?

1.Soon to be summit
2.Ontario Canada
3.As close to 24/7 as possible, FHA as backup
4.First year-I'm getting a late start...I have alittle over 3
5.Eyeballing a Husky 353
6.8lb Maul

1.Vermont castings resolute acclaim midnight blue enamel

2.Southern Maine

3.Evenings/nights weekends

4.about 4 per year

5.Husky 350 with 18" bar

6. Big old homemade splitter

Ok here goes
1- Currently old Fisher to be a Quadra Fire 4300
2-Pioneer. Ca near Lake Tahoe
3- 24/7 winter occ spring/fall
4-About 4 depending on weather
5- Stihl MS361
6- Iron Oak 27 ton

1. Currently Federal Convection Heater #2264CCL, on friday it will be my homemade unit.

2. Northeast PA

3. 24/7. We have no other form of heat.

4. About 1 per year of wood and about 2 tons of coal.

5. Stihl 260 Pro, Homelite XL2

6. 8lb maul and "CHopper"

1.Type of stove?
Pacific Energy "Summit Classic"
2.Location?
Eastern Nebraska
24/7
4.# of cords burned?
3.7 last year (15-16 on hand)
5.Type of saw?
Husqvarna 359 , 346XP #1 , 346XP #2 , 372XP
6. Splitter or Maul?
8 hp 28 ton Swisher Splitter / Helko Vario-2000 Splitting Maul

1. Vermont Castings Encore, flat black. Cat model

2. FBKS,AK

3. 24/7

4. 3-5 depending on the year.

5. Husky 353, Old Stilh 026, Little Echo for limbing and yard work.

6. Fiskars 2.5 lb splitting axe (amazing for the size), standard 8 lb maul, 12lb sledge and wedge for really stubborn stuff.

1. 1985 Sierra T-4600 (soon to be replaced with the poor boy's Summit), Jotul F3CB and Jotul F100 Nordic.

2. Northern Virginia. Too damned close to D.C. The smell is killin me.

3. 24/7. Ain't no other heat in the house. Don't burn, we freeze. Heat pump died from lack of use years ago.

4. Five cords a year. Got six this year. Think it is gonna be cold.

5. Old Yaller the 1991 Poulan Pro 405+ and the lil baby Poulan whatever it's little green ass is.

6. 1987 Duerr 20 ton and a six and eight pound maul for hitting the splitter when it won't start.

1.Type of stove? Lopi Revere Insert

2.Location? Ambler, PA (outside Philadelphia)

3.24/7 or occasional burner? hoping for 24/7 but this is my first year.

4.# of cords burned? none yet, but I've got 3+ ready for this year...

5.Type of saw? Husky 350 18" bar, Remington electric 3.25HP 16" bar

6. Splitter or Maul? 8lb, 6lb mauls, 10 lb sledge and 4 wedges of various shapes sizes.

1.Type of stove? HearthStone Heritage

2.Location? Bristol, CT

3.24/7 or occasional burner? Hopefully 24/7. This will be my first full winter

4.# of cords burned? Dunno. Estimating 4-5

5.Type of saw? Husky 141 16" bar

6. Splitter or Maul? Both. 8 lb. maul, 4 lb. splitting ax, 4 ton Ryobi electric splitter

Harman Exception

Westchester County, NY (just north of nyc)

nights and weekends

first year but think it will be 3 to 4 cords

My splitter, axe, maul and saw are all the same - daughter's boyfriend

Eric

1.Type of stove? US Stove 1500 Hotblast Wood/Coal Furnace

2.Location? Basement

3.24/7 or occasional burner? 24/7

4.# of cords burned? 4 to 6

5.Type of saw? Stihl 025, Stihl Farm Boss

6. Splitter or Maul? Both, 6 & 8 pound maul and an antique Splitter

bige34 said:
My splitter, axe, maul and saw are all the same - daughter's boyfriend

You are THE MAN!

Stove Type: Jotul Oslo

24/7, otherwise as needed

# cords: 6 to 7

Type of saw: Husky 455 w/ 18" bar

Splitter: 8lb maul, sledge and wedges for contrary pieces

1. Osburn 2200I is on the way
2. Waterford, WI (Southeastern WI)
3. As close to 24/7 as I can (Take that WI Electric!)
4. 1st year for wood heat, not sure what I'll burn. Currently have approx 2 cords, I'll need more.
5. Poulan for now, looking at Husky (gonna ask for some advice pretty soon)
6. 20 Ton North Star spliter with 5.5hp Honda engine

1.Type of stove?
Unknown - Picked it up for $350 and did modifications to add secondary air combustion, firebrick in the firebox, airtight doors, round flue collar for completely lined flue and room air circulation fan.

2.Location?
Lawrence KS

Primarily wood heat, but more like 12/5 and 24/2 as I let the fire go out during the week days when no one is home.

4.# of cords burned?
About 2.5 to 3 per year

5.Type of saw?
Husky 350

6. Splitter or Maul?
Homemade splitter for the heavy stuff, 6 pound maul for the light stuff

1) Currently Jotul Castine (F400CB)
2) On an island in the middle of Puget Sound
3) We'll see once we get the first electrc bill for the new heat pump. But in the past we burned evenings and weekends unless it was below about 35 then mornings too. If it's below 20 we'll be burning 24/7 or heading for Hawaii!
4) Hard to say because last year it included pellets. Average cord wood has been about 2.5-3 cds/yr.
5) Stihl 029
6) 8lb + wedges and a boy scout hatchet.

1) VC Defiant Encore, Pine Baron Coal Baron Stove, All-Nighter (the midsize one without the heatilator pipes)
2) Northern New Jersey, Morris County
3)NONE YET! Still installing the bloody chimney liners!
4) hoping to burn about 3 cords wood, 2-3 tons coal
5) Dad's two broken stihls, got for free, having fixed
6) 8lb maul, axes, hatchets, other assorted sharp things.

1.Type of stove? Vermont Castings Vigilant II,1985 model,pre-EPA, running off a clay tile 8X8 exterior chimeny. I am currently refurbishing it with online help of the Elk man. Also use currently until stove is complete and as a between high low weather temperatures a Cozy Heat fireplace set in to a concert block chimney clay tile as well. I think it is 10x10 or 12x12 ( never bothered to measure it) with outside air intake and finished in cherokee marble to the ceiling with daul fans to spread the heat.

2.Location? NW Iowa

3.24/7 or occasional burner? Use wood as primary heat of the house. This is the first winter we cut the gas meter off completely. Got tired of MidAmerican Energy sedning guys out to check why were not using gas in the peak winter time.

4.# of cords burned? I do not measure by the cord but will say a lot of truck loads

5.Type of saw?Stihl farm boss (029) and a stihl (019)

6. Splitter or Maul?[/quote]splitter, 20 ton,Briggs 5.5, Huskie, if it cannot split it I should not be moving it. Used it tonight,use a maul when needing to let off some steam :coolgrin:

1.Type of stove?
Morso Owl 7kw in a room of approximately 420 square feet (with total volume of approx. 3900 cubic feet). Probably a bit undersized.

2.Location?
Fife, north of Edinburgh, Scotland

At the moment, occasional evenings, but would like to burn more to offset rising gas costs.

4.# of cords burned?
No idea. I reckon I have a cord, but probably need more.

5.Type of saw?
Bow

6. Splitter or Maul?
Can't cut logs big enough to need splitting with my Bow saw.

Stove: Enviro Kodiak 1700 insert (the only one I found to fit my ZC firebox)

I burn as close to 24/7 as possible, always stoked when I'm home, allowed to die down when going to work. Gas forced air back up set at 60F.

Probably have burned close to 1/2 to 3/4 cord this year, have 3 cords of mixed hardwoods, 2 more waiting for processing, 2 more waiting to come down as needed (ash). This is my first winter with the insert.

Saws: Bow saw, Jonsered 510sp (oldy but goody), homelite for the small stuff.

I split with an 8lb maul, an ax, a hatchet, 5lb hand sledge and wedges as needed. Depends on the size of the wood.

1.Type of stove?

Lopi Freedom Insert - 3rd year with it - extended install.

2.Location?

NorthWestern CT

Probably around 18/7. I don't worry so much about the overnight burns, the oil forced air furnace takes care of the heat if needed overnight. I am a stay at home mom and wanted a warm daytime temp in the house instead of freezing my tushy off trying to save money and conserve. It serves it's purpose quite well. We do not have an open floorplan in the house, so we purchased it for supplemental heat - not the sole source of it.

4.# of cords burned?

Probably about 3.

5.Type of saw?

An old craftsman.

6. Splitter or Maul?

I bought him a 12 lb log blaster maul from Harbor Freight - he didn't like it at first, now it's all he uses.

Hearthstone Mansfield 2002
Southern Quebec/Vermont
24/7
Solid 5
Husky 181 1985(i think)
8lb maul, fiberglass handle with a tuned exhaust and blower

1. Regency i2400 (Insert)
2. Vancouver Island, BC, Canada (West of Bellingham WA)
3. 18/7
4. I'm not sure yet, but I've got 5 on hand
5. My dad's or my brothers!
6. 6 lb maul

.Type of stove? Used 1999 $500 VC Cat Encore Used 1987( Free)rebuilt VC Cat Intrepid II former Effel, Merridith , Scandia. franklin, old 602 Jotul, and older Fisher and Upland

2.Location? Cat Encore, main living room dinning area Intrepid II in familly room

3.24/7 or occasional burner? Encore will be burnt 24/7 Intrepid II every night but not 24/7 all the time

4.# of cords burned? Life time 150+ cords saved over 25,000 gallons of oil (Never paid for wood)

5.Type of saw? Stihl 042 farm Boss,( Craftsman 2.3, Poulan 2.3, another Poulan 2.3 bars are interchangeable 14/16") Still working and cutting
1968 Mac 10 10 Mac Electric 3 hp beating the crap out of it

6. Splitter or Maul?

John Deere 500 C backhoe 90 HP 11 tons I do not know the force of every piston able to lift 2 tons and trench to 15' 6"
Able to rip out most trees and deposit them where I please, also can snap many and rip off branches

16 Ton 1,5 hp Electric Splitter by Ram Splitter Capacity 24" round 20' lengths It can be ordered for 24" lenghts
Two Mauls 6lb wood handle and fiberglass handle 8 lb splitting wedges Sldege hammers axes

I scrounge year round presently and this is a guess 18 plus cords processed 3 year supply still scrounging
all firewood is seasoned 2 seasons in advance of burning

Status
Not open for further replies.