Pex AL Pex fittings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

machinistbcb

Nov 21, 2007
Sabattus Maine
I just got 100' of 1" pex al pex today that i bought of ebay. The seller told me that shark bite fittings would work with it. Come to find out they dont, the pex al pex is to big. I bought a bunch of 1" shark-bite fittings at a pretty good discount, but it seems I wont be able to use them. Does anybody know what to use for fittings and were to get them. I already plumbed my tarm and my tank with 3" long stubs of 1" copper pipe that I was hoping to just connect the pex-al-pex with the shark-bit fittings.

I used Kitec on my PAP. You need the special reamer. Can't remember where I got em.
Will

I wish you luck. pex al pex and kitec are basicly the same thing. So if you can find kitec fittings then just use those those. There are two kinds that I know of. One is a nut and furl type.(probably the easiest) the other is the crimp type, it requires the correct size crimping tool. remember, if your soldering on any adapters, make sure you take off the o-rings on the adapters, or be very careful not to get the flame on them. They burn and are ruined very easily.

A plumbing wholesaler is probably your best bet to find kitec fittings. I know I can't get them anymore as kitec is sort of fallen by the way side around here at least. We mostly just use straight pex now.

Hope this helps

Hello
I had gotten pipe and fittings online, and just googled it to find where... Now I see all kinds of class-action suits going on against Kitec for brass fitting failures. Of course my house is full of these fittings, anybody having problems with these?
Jim

If you only have a few to do- I would check with your local plum supply house for the Brass/Clamp ( what did other guy say---furl) type.
I used pex al pex in my basement bathroom- used brass, no problems- two years on. When the plumers did everything upstairs- used pex w/crimps- all is well with them too. Whole house doesn't have five feet of copper pipe in it.

I got mine from Cozy Heat (top banner). I looked around locally first, but no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.