PEX and mice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
Has anyone heard of mice chewing holes in PEX?

not specifically pex
but they chew thru the rubbermaid totes in the garage

ironpony said:
not specifically pex
but they chew thru the rubbermaid totes in the garage

I didn't want to hear that. I just invested in a bunch of these to organize my stuff. I guess its time to set out some traps.

they seem to reall enjoy them, unfortunately
and sometimes they don't find they're way out
dead mice=stinky

i put plastic totes in my shop 10' off the floor for the wifes seasonal stuff and suitcases wrapped in clear plastic garbage bags to keep dust off. found a nest in my toolbox when went to get some pliers. stupid mice got into everything. when i went to get a suitcase down to go out of town, wife saw a mouse chew hole. when i opened it up the mom was in there with babies. i bought some of those electric noise makers and it seems to be under control now.

Well if the mice dont have much to eat (shop area) and yu set out traps they get caught quickly.

has anyone tried the repeatable homemade traps? you make them with a 5gal bucket and some wire and either paper plate or soda bottle. it looks like a good idea, but i bet my dogs would keep eating the bait.

a five gallon bucket with no lid and a little bird seed in the bottom
they jump in an cant get out
thats how I fill the bird feeders and if any is left in the bottom
find a mouse in it sometimes dead sometimes alive

I use an old minnow trap...mice crawl in and can't get out.

I have serious mouse issues in an old farmhouse cellar, but so far my pex (all fresh domestic water since replumbing with it in 2004) is untouched, although I am concerned about it.

punchy said:
has anyone tried the repeatable homemade traps? you make them with a 5gal bucket and some wire and either paper plate or soda bottle. it looks like a good idea, but i bet my dogs would keep eating the bait.

I've got 2 of them in my attic. They work well, although I couldn't get the plate balanced properly to repeat so it's one rodent at a time.

They are handy in that they can catch different size critters (flying squirrels and mice), where as a mouse trap won't catch a flying squirrel and vice versa. I put RV antifreeze in the bucket in the winter to keep it from freezing.

If you use one with water in the bottom (for drowning) don't forget to check it on a regular basis. If something dies and decomposes floating around in the bucket, it creates one awful nasty vile smelling brew.

If you ask a copper salesman, I'm sure its a big problem.

Two different times now we've drove to town and had mice crawling out of the car. They are getting under the hood, probably when the motor is warm. One time I got all the way into town and this mouse came out and onto the windshield. I turned the wipers on and laughed. My wife did not find it funny that mice were riding around in the car...

Backwoods Savage said:
Two different times now we've drove to town and had mice crawling out of the car. They are getting under the hood, probably when the motor is warm. One time I got all the way into town and this mouse came out and onto the windshield. I turned the wipers on and laughed. My wife did not find it funny that mice were riding around in the car...
Wait till one pokes his head out of the dash vent while you're driving down the road :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:

I'm thinking my wife would not be very amused either . . . at least based on her reactions in the past to when a mouse has unwisely chosen to visit us and our cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.