Pex Expander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I have two wirsbo 1/2" pex lines I need to have expanded to fit a 3/4" copper adapter. Local plumber wants $150 and I hate to buy a $200 tool for two fittings. Any other options?

could you use a pex to 1/2 inch MIP and then a 3/4 copper to 1/2 inch FIP and thread them together.

Is there a Shark Bite fitting(s) that you could use?

Reactions: USMC80
Reactions: PapaDave
I like the tool rental idea. I forgot to mention it's for hydronic heating application using HePex (oxygen barrier). Not sure if sharkbite fittings would be suitable for this application.

One local HW store will let you use the tool free if you buy the fittings from them. Check around. I've heated a tapered drift pin in a pinch, slid the pex on the fitting, and applied a small hose clamp. Against all the rules I know but hasn't failed in 3 years.

Think there is a 1/2" x 3/4" sharkbite he could use
Theres a sharkbite for every job ,dont see any reason not to use for heating pipe.

ask a different plumber offer $50 cash. It is a 5 minute job tops.

You can buy a pex tool that crimps all 3 sizes 3/8-1/2-3/4 and uses a vise grip pliers at Home depot for about $35 if your interested.

I have two wirsbo 1/2" pex lines I need to have expanded to fit a 3/4" copper adapter. Local plumber wants $150 and I hate to buy a $200 tool for two fittings. Any other options?
i am big fan of buying tool in that scenario.. the second time you use it, its free

Status
Not open for further replies.