Pex Expansion Concern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rule of thumb I've been told is expansion/contraction of one inch every 100 feet of pipe for each 10° of temperature change.

60*-190* would be 130* change, or about 13" in 100 ft..

The rule of thumb I've been told is expansion/contraction of one inch every 100 feet of pipe for each 10° of temperature change.

60*-190* would be 130* change, or about 13" in 100 ft..
Nate,

That's about what I calculated, but from most of the postings it seems that the expansion is not that significant. When I put my system together, I will put in soft bends to allow for some expansion.

Late summer of 09. You're looking at all rough cut poplar exterior. Boy was it beautiful when new. But the present patina is growing on me. Only heat in the barn is from the boiler. Being southern Tennessee/northern Alabama our worst weather is probably like your normal. By the time winter hits the boilers going about all the time. I love the boiler away from the house. I typically travel little from T-day thru Feb so it's always tended. I'll try to email the ss tomorrow. Slammed at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.