Pex (onyx)????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolidge

Dec 16, 2008
Maine
Has anyone used the Onyx(rubber pex) for a staple up system. I use it for my old house, to go around the floor joist(logs) instead of drilling holes. My water going in is 120 and return water is about 116. I am wondering if the tubing is acting like an insulator and not transfering enough. Of course this is still all unisulated but wanted to make shure before insulating.

Thanks

I just became aware of this product, but the pictures I saw indicated that staple up is a proper application for this tubing. Effectiveness of heat transfer is dependent on the alum. plates to disperse the heat, the reflective barrier, the approx. 6" air space, and proper insulation. You can't really judge effectiveness until all of those are in place. You can always raise the temp going in as well, if you find it needs more heat. At the low pressures heating systems run at, pex can handle temps up near 200* fine (not that most run their systems that high). Check out the temp ratings for the rubber tubing though to be sure it can handle it. As long as you follow all the specs for plates, spacing, etc. then I think it will work just as planned. However, I have not actually used this product before. It looks way easier to install than the 1/2" pex I used in my staple up! Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.