PEX sizing issue, need 3/4 but inside diam of 3/4 much smaller!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
I recieved my order for PEX to plum in my indirect hot water heater. It calls for 3/4 piping and I ordered 3/4 pex and all the needed connections but its inside diameter is smaller. The pex is 5/8 and the connections are 1/2" I didnt think this through very well. Im thinking I should have gone with 1" pex.

Will this be an issue? Should I send it back and get 1" PEX?

Thats what I was thinking but its alot more $ for 1" pipe and fittings. THe DHW coil in our Oil boiler im replacing this with is only 1/2" and the piping in the house is all 1/2 so this would be fine I think for that.

On the boiler piping couldnt I run parallel 3/4 pex doubling its volume? Would only need a few more parts and I have way more 3/4 pex than I need (Bought 300ft)

Hi Mtfallsmikey this is an existing house and has 1/2 copper for the DHW and the existing DHW coil im replacing is 1/2 copper so going with 3/4" pex is actually an increase in volume slightly. THe inside diameter of the pex is 5/8" and the fittings are 1/2" Sending everything back to PEXsupply would be a hassle and the 1" is twice as much...

~ Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.