1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

PF100 and PB105 Burn Pot Issues

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Skippydo, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    How difficult is it to change the burn pot on a PF100? I don't know if I have a hard carbon build up on the right side ramp of the burn pot going down to the auger or a bubble. I'll have to get a mirror and flashlight in there to see. Furnace is under warrantee but my dealer is out of business. I may have an avenue to get a burn pot under warrantee, but I'd have to put it in myself.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Skippydo

Skippydo New Member

Loc:
    Butler, Pa
    Know what you mean by a carbon buildup on the right (and left) side of the burnpot.
    It is not the easiest to remove.
    The easiest way is when the pellets are hot, use a leather glove and a sharp ended
    screwdriver and scrape at a angle
    or
    after the fire is out, but still warm, also use a sharp screwdriver at an angle and scrape. Usually comes
    off in a big hunk.
    I then use my hands to feel the whole burn pot......when it is cool, naturally.
    Make sure when you clean out under the burn pot that you tap the top of the burn pot,
    a heck of a lot of debris will fall.
    Never removed my burnpot yet!! knock on wood!!
  3. exoilburner

exoilburner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Washington State
    Not difficult for someone with some home mech. repair experience.

Shut power off to the furnace.

Either disconnect the igniter wires (you can see the igniter wires in the picture) or unbolt the igniter and feed it thru the burnpot hole. The igniter wire connectors are located behind the lower cover under the pellet hopper.

Remove the Fire Brick and it's mounting bracket.

Remove the 4 nuts holding the burn-pot to the fire box. It's gasket is very fragile and should probably be replaced before reinstalling (it looks like fiberglass matting). The 4 studs that the burnpot is fastened with are anchored in the thin firebox metal so be careful to not over torque the nuts. The back 2 nuts are a bit difficult to get to and blind so you may need a socket with an extension and a u-joint or just a combination wrench.

[​IMG]
  4. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Thanks. I'm going to get a better scraping tool and hopefully it is carbon. If not, your directions are very helpful.
  5. Skippydo

Skippydo New Member

Loc:
    Butler, Pa
    If it is not carbon, I owe you a beer!
  6. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    I owe you a beer. Used a sharp screw driver and it was carbon build up. Burn pot is fine.
  7. Skippydo

Skippydo New Member

Loc:
    Butler, Pa
    I feel bad winning a sure thing!
    But thanks for the beer...
  8. wil lanfear

wil lanfear Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    vermont
    UPDATE: It has been nearly 3 months since the new designed burnpot was installed in my boiler. To date, this burnpot looks the same as when it was installed, no bubble issue at all. Prior to this burnpot, any that were replaced,after 2 weeks a small bubble could be seen forming. If you have a pb105 or a pf100 with the burnpot bubble issue, if you have the pressure ignition, talk to you're dealer about this burnpot. If you have the finned ignition, talk to you're dealer, telling them about the fix for the bubble issue, maybe changing to the pressure ignition with this burnpot, do it now before the warranty expires.
  9. Ar-ef-bee

Ar-ef-bee Member

Loc:
    South East, PA
    Hi Wil,
    How has the PB been treating you? Is that burnpot still holding up?
    I burned far more than usual last year; the pot is holding up but I have had regular ignition issues. I believe the current cold snap is pushing the manufacturers to ship inferior pellets that are either too moist or too high temp to ignite easily.
    Last question - did they need to replace your control board for the new burnpot and igniter to work?
    RichB
  10. wil lanfear

wil lanfear Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    vermont
    I'M HAPPY, I now have the newest model burnpot which has outlasted any other burnpot that was replaced. I can't remember when this burnpot was installed, I think it's been over a year now and it looks as good as when it was installed. IMHO, I believe the burnpot bubble issue has been resolved. My control board was replaced when the pressure ignition was installed, some time ago in an effort to fix the burnpot bubble issue. If you are having ignition problems, meaning long ignition times, make sure the quanity of pellets in the burnpot at ignition is not excessive. The least amount of pellets in the burnpot the better for quick ignition. The link below is to the newest designed burnpot kit including the part number. post # 39

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pb-105-burnpot-revisited.115489/page-2