PF100 Igniter failures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ex-oil slave

Oct 2, 2008
NW Ontario, Canada
How many PF100 or PB105 owners have had igniter failures? For the PB105 owners this does not include the pressure igniter system. I’m talking about the igniter under the burn pot type ignition system. I’m just winding down my second winter heating season and have just had my second igniter failure. The first winter 2008-2009, the igniter failed right around this time of year as well. I’m thinking that as the temps moderate, the furnace shuts completely down between calls for heat. This requires the furnace to do a cold restart several (or more) times a day as opposed to winter operation where it hardly ever shuts down. These repeated restarts seem to be killing my igniters. Are any other owners experiencing this?

Prior to getting the pressure ignition system installed in my PB105, I had one igniter replaced in a period of two years, in fact the igniter that was taken out when the pressure ignition was installed was the one replaced and was still good. I found that setting the dip switches to #1 off, #2 off, #3 on will allow for quicker ignition with less smoke. Pellets do not need to cover the igniter for ignition, might be able to set the dip swithes for even less pellets on start up, #1 off, #2 on, #3 off, never tried so I don't know The least amount of pellets fed in on start up and still have them ignite the better. IMHO, the extended periods of time that the igniter is powered reduces the life of them, the reason for less pellets to ignite. Also, if you have the old CB (3-20-05630A), this controller keeps the igniter powered for to long a period of time after ignition, the new CB (3-20-06143), turns the igniter off real quick after ignition.

ex-oil slave
Go the the "Iburncorn" site and check on the HARMAN site;
A lot of info on the PF100 and PB105...also an important poll..
Look forward to seeing you there!!

Wil
I finally exposed the dip switches on my PB-105, built in Oct 2008, by cutting the plastic decal with an exacto knife. Switches 1, 2, and 3 are all down. To what level of pellets does that fill the burnpot compared to your suggested 1 and 2 off, 3 on?

Thanks

Centurion said:
Wil
I finally exposed the dip switches on my PB-105, built in Oct 2008, by cutting the plastic decal with an exacto knife. Switches 1, 2, and 3 are all down. To what level of pellets does that fill the burnpot compared to your suggested 1 and 2 off, 3 on?

Thanks
The dip switch settings sheet that I have mentions that when #'s 1,2 and 3 are in the down position (off), this is the default settings. This settings sheet also shows if your boiler has the finned ignition, switches #'s 1,2 and 3 should be set to the default setting, but....... when I had the finned ignition in my boiler, way to many pellets entered the burnpot prior to ignition which created a ton of smoke before the pellets ignited. This is the reason I chose #1 and 2 off, #3 on to reduce the amount of pellets for ignition. I now have the pressure ignition installed, dip switches set to the settings sheet, #1 off, #2 on, #3 on, ignites very quickly.

Thank you very much Wil. I will give it a try.
Aside from the burnpot issue, do you see any advantage to the new ignition system? Perhaps the faster ignition will cause the igniter to last longer? Now that it is known that the new ignition system will not resolve the burnpot issue do you think Harman will replace the old ig system for those units still under warranty, if requested? Have you heard any additional information as to when the new SS burnpots will be available or is the idea still under testing?
I know, lots of questions! I don't believe you are a Harman rep but you seem to have a good source for info and I appreciate your input.

Centurion said:
Thank you very much Wil. I will give it a try.
Aside from the burnpot issue, do you see any advantage to the new ignition system? Perhaps the faster ignition will cause the igniter to last longer? Now that it is known that the new ignition system will not resolve the burnpot issue do you think Harman will replace the old ig system for those units still under warranty, if requested? Have you heard any additional information as to when the new SS burnpots will be available or is the idea still under testing?
I know, lots of questions! I don't believe you are a Harman rep but you seem to have a good source for info and I appreciate your input.
The only advantage that I've seen is quicker ignition using the pressure ignition, I'm thinking that maybe the igniter will last longer, time will tell. IMHO, I believe Harman went to the pressure ignition in an effort to resolve the burnpot bubble issue. Now that they know that this didn't resolve that issue, my guess would be that they won't replace the finned ignition with the pressure ignition just because a customer wants it. I talked to my dealer last Tues., asking him if he got my SS burnpot in so I could test it, he doesn't know when this will happen but he did tell me that Harman told him to keep replacing the burnpots as needed until the SS burnpot is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.