PF100 Problem....any ideas or confirmations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippydo

Sep 30, 2008
Butler, Pa
PF100 problem....took 2 1/2 years for my first problem....
The unit was running on manual, so there is always a burn.
After it started to get cold, checked and no fire.
This has happened three times, now just all the lights, none
blinking, no auger motor running at all, ignitor on, but goes out
eventually.
Sounds to me like a bad auger!! What ya think?

could be a blockage in the exhaust pipe, breaks the vacuum environment and stops the stove in its tracks.
-combustion blower failure would appear the same.

clean out heat exhchangers... this is more than just moving the chains around!

That is exactly the same thing that my dealer said. They are cleaned out, from the top
to the bottom. Was able to get to two on them through the circulation fan, and then all
four from below. I really figured there would be a lot more ash, but I do the handle every
day, so I was glad to see that, that is working as should be.
Propane furnace as a back up....sh.. I will be using propane, 1st time in 2 1/2 years. OMG

checkpipes, check exhaust screen, make sure there are no pellets caught in the hopper lid! also, check fines cleanout area (box next to feeder w/wingnut), make sure there arent excessive bits stopping the feeder mechanism.

if circuit board is sending power to auger, the light will turn on,, if the feeder motor aint turning 'cause draft switch aint clicking, on older models, then the light still comes on. easy way to check motor: disconnect it, and and plug in direct w/ a tester cord.

Problem resolved?
Cleaned the vac tube, cleaned the whole unit, but must have missed something. This summer
will take the air compressor to unit and blow everything off, after a good cleaning.
Jumped the auger, and back to normal. Left the jumper and taped.
Oh, How I have missed that good pellet warmth.
Keeps the house so warm, compared to the propane that I have used for the last two days.
Now I will be able to get a good nights sleep tonight!!
Thanks for all the recommendations!!

Red Devil said:
Problem resolved?
Cleaned the vac tube, cleaned the whole unit, but must have missed something. This summer
will take the air compressor to unit and blow everything off, after a good cleaning.
Jumped the auger, and back to normal. Left the jumper and taped.
Oh, How I have missed that good pellet warmth.
Keeps the house so warm, compared to the propane that I have used for the last two days.
Now I will be able to get a good nights sleep tonight!!
Thanks for all the recommendations!!

Have you cleaned out the vent pipe and outside screen? My outside screen plugs up fast and I have to knock the flyash and creosote off or take the end off and hose it off with the garden hose. Did you check the damper plate on the furnace OAK connector to see if it was sticking? How is the gasket on the fire-box door; is it getting a good seal?

Does the flame look lazy or is it blowing toward the top of the heat exchanger? If the flame looks strong and you jumped the pressure switch, replace the pressure switch to keep the unit operating safely.

Vent was cleaned; as far as the screen, the one that I have has large openings. When I operate the
brush with the drill, I get to the end of the vent, so it should be clean; I do the brush in and out a couple
of times. Easy to find out, go and look.
Pressure switch, where is that located?

Red Devil said:
Vent was cleaned; as far as the screen, the one that I have has large openings. When I operate the
brush with the drill, I get to the end of the vent, so it should be clean; I do the brush in and out a couple
of times. Easy to find out, go and look.
Pressure switch, where is that located?

When you say you "Jumped the auger, and back to normal. Left the jumper and taped" could you explain? Don't understand.

Here is the location of the PF100 pressure switch. It is located under the sheet metal cover that is screwed to the bottom of the pellet hopper. The pressure switch disconnects power from the auger motor if there is not enough air flow thru the burn pot for good combustion. It is a safety item; it stops the auger from dumping more pellets in the burn pot when the draft from the combustion blower is weak in the fire-box. Poor draft could be caused by leaky door gasket, dirty stove or vent pipe, bad combustion blower,or the OAK connector damper plate is stuck shut. Or it could be a bad or clogged pressure switch. When it is running correctly notice that when you open the fire-box door the auger does not run because the combustion air pressure has leaked out through the door.

Augermotor.jpg

THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE VENTING!!! DRAFT SWITCHES ARE NOT PRONE TO FAILURE! THATS WHY THEY USE THEM.

"I get to the end of the vent, so it should be clean"

CHECK AND MAKE SURE!
CHECK HOPPER SEALS!
REMOVE THE HEAT EXCHANGER PLATES AND LOOK!
MAKE SURE EXHAUST FAN IS TURNING PROPERLY!

"Jumped the auger, and back to normal. Left the jumper and taped."

WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IS REMOVE ONE OF THE MOST BASIC SAFETY FEATURES EVER DESIGNED!

On top of the low pressure switch, there is a wire with a pink and a blue connector. I was told to pull them off and
jump them with a wire. I did this, and the auger started to work, and all is running well..
I pulled the big vacume tube and blew through it...and replaced it.
I just noticed that there is also a smaller tube under the switch which runs to the back of the auger, I believe.
I did not touch that, I just saw it.

you've bypassed the vaccum switch.
the vac switch runs a small tube from the switch to the feeder.
There is a larger tube that is a crossove air for the feeder.
The vac switch won't close if there is a blockage in the vent/heat exchanger, if the lid is not sealed, if the doors are not sealed, or if the intake air flapper is stuck shut.
where the chains run thru the 2nd set of square exchangers, can you see the chains dangling out the bottom?

I have worked on 2 furnances this year with the same problem. Have you cleaned out under the burn grate? Under the grate is your vac. hose to the vac switch, you need to pull out the vac. hose from the back of the unit and take it off of the vac swith and blow into the hose. It maybe plugged. The hose sits under the grate and sucks air from there to activate the switch. If you do not clean out this area, the vac. switch will suck up the fins under the grate. Good luck.

Yes, I have cleaned out under the burn pot, I always clean that out.
But, no, I have not pulled the small hose off from underneath the switch and blown it out.
Will definitely do that, that does make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.