ph meter for soil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
We are looking for a ph meter for the new garden areas at the house. There are so many out there from 15 bux up to almost 100. Anyone have any experience with them? What one to buy? Thanks
Mike

I dont know, digitally.

But what if one had a "calibration" , bench marking for all:

1 cubic inch of KNOWN (say pH___ tested) soil in (needed volume?) 1-cup of known pH neutral water, tested,
and then that poured-off 1oz-2oz resulting water-sample could be put through the $5.oo pool pH test kit,
or the $9.oo home-depot well and water test kit... ?
just- I use these kits with GeoThermal Systems and Pool re-Heat-hx testing and HW-hx , regularly.

BRING IN THE WOOD !!!

Just thought I'd mention that many state agricultural extension offices will do soil analyses inexpensively. I recall that it included pH as well as many other nutrients. They'll even tell you want you need to add to your soil as far as amendments.

Good suggestion. I got a very comprehensive analysis from UMass at Amherst.

I was looking into the same subject then I stopped by my local garden store, where they sell mulch by the yard.... not a "big box", and they said bring in a sample and I'll test it for you. I was considering buying some pelitized lime. I took in a small scoop out of my lawn area in a sandwich baggie (zip top) and they tested it. This took a couple of minutes of their time and I'm sure their meter was more accurate than any I would buy. The number came back 6.4, so my lawn was fine, but a light application of lime may help (my driving concern was moss in the grass). I didn't buy any lime at the time but likely will in a couple of days.

There was no pressure to buy anything.

Jerry, Moss in the grass is a sign of poor sub surface drainage, a little Gypsum and compost will do more good than lime, but lime will help loosen the soil surface and promote drainage some.
And yes I have a degree in Agronomy and horticulture

Status
Not open for further replies.