PH mystery part

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tahoe

Oct 8, 2019
Tahoe
Hello,

while moving in a partially disassembled Progress Hybrid today, this part fell out/off of the stove. What is it and where does it go?!?! Thanks in advance for your help!

C495C59E-F21C-4AA7-84A7-84F9833A2B75.jpeg

I don't know, but it looks like it might be an air deflector. Perhaps for the window airwash? Send a pic to Woodstock and ask for a parts diagram.

Thanks. I did email them the photo after hours. Hopefully it won’t make a difference for the seasoning fires I have going on right now.

Ha! You lit it anyway?

Mike at Woodstock got back to me this morning (a Saturday no less... LOVE this company). The mystery part is the “metal stone edge liner” and goes under the cooktop at the rear to keep the stones from marring the cast iron. Here’s a pic.

E4C154CC-9627-4533-BB4D-1EFED20DF8CE.jpeg
9C5E8B1F-17EC-4AED-ACED-B071EAEB65F2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: toddnic
Nice touch and good service!

Mike at Woodstock got back to me this morning (a Saturday no less... LOVE this company). The mystery part is the “metal stone edge liner” and goes under the cooktop at the rear to keep the stones from marring the cast iron.
I love Woodstock Soapstone Company! Their customer service is second to none and they stand by their product.

Yep, whenever I've had a question, Mike has been all over it with a quick reply and good info.

Another quick question... how hot should the hearth pad be getting under the stove? Mine has gotten up to 170F (according to IR thermometer). Stovetop temps 450 - 550. Not sure if this is normal or not. Obviously, the hearth pad was built to recommended specs, so as long as this is typical/normal, I'm not worried. I have the ash lip installed (supposed to decrease the required R value by 1/2) as well as the ash pan and surrounding heat shielding.

Thanks!

Have you got much ash in the pan? Are you leaving an inch or two of ash on the grate? That will insulate the coals from heating the bottom of the stove as much, and it will burn better as well by concentrating the coal heat in the bottom of the load.

It's not untypical for the hearth pad to get pretty warm at it's hottest location. The dark tile may be absorbing more IR heat. What is the hearth pad made of?

Was this the lightweight Durock? It used to be called Durock NexGen, but they appear to have dropped that naming now. If so, the protection is as specified.