Phase 1 complete. Phase 2 now open.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
This has been one hot summer but i still managed to get a good amount cut since this time last year.
With the wet winter and spring i did a lot in the dead of summer.
The first 2 pics is what i refer to as phase 1 and i finished it about 1 1/2 month ago and then started on phase 2. Total right now is a little over 15 cord c/s/s outside and about 3 cords to split. I also have 6 cord already in the hed for this winter. I started cutting all the wood outside last Sept so that would be 18 cord cut in one year. I think i can take it a little easier next summer.
This will be my third winter here and i get to burn some truley dry wood this year:). 2012-09-04_16-02-49_822.jpg2012-09-04_16-03-20_816.jpg2012-09-04_15-58-04_503.jpg2012-09-04_15-58-19_652.jpg

I'm impressed....How much do you burn in a typical winter?

HJ, those are some good looking wood stacks. You have been a very busy man!

Reactions: ScotO
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone.
Believe me i really dont want to cut that much in the heat of summer again. Sad part is i really dont plan on slowing down now since fall i right around the corner and can really enjoy cutting.
I used around 5 cord last year with new setup but not really a good winter to go by. Previous winter was over 8 cord with 30 year old wood furnace. Worst case scenario i should be at leat 3 years to the good.

Very nice stacks... I thought my 8 stacks in a row was a lot...

You have copious amounts of wood there!!! Looks awesome.

How are the stacks made? The ends are what I worried about, so I laid a 12' board from one end to the other on the top. Ends are straight as an arrow.

Gotta love having a stash like that. Feels good, looks good, and gonna burn good :)

Very nice looks like you are set with dry wood for this winter. I'm not a fan of css in the heat of summer, but we do it when we can.

Does that Yukon BJ90 eat like that?

well done...you should be proud, we are going into our third winter of burning wood in our house also so i understand what your going through as it relates to c/s/s/ in summer, gotta do what ya gotta do to get ahead of the game. I too am guessing as to how much wood will burnt here this winter, last winter was unusually warm winter so we used a lil less, and this winter my wife is working a different job close to home so the stove will be filled more often, so it really is a guessing game but i'm planning for 8 cords to be used this winter.

Thanks everyone.
Believe me i really dont want to cut that much in the heat of summer again. Sad part is i really dont plan on slowing down now since fall i right around the corner and can really enjoy cutting.

I'm the same way although I'm not as far ahead as you are, but once the cooler weather arrives I want to get out with the saw no matter how far ahead I may be. During the warmer months I scout out the next "victims". Once I wrap up a few current projects I'll be paying them a visit.

Very nice stacks HJ. I admire you guys who can work in the heat (>50 degrees for me). I have a pile of long dead rounds waiting to be split. Waiting for a nice cool fall day, that is. Nice to have a good slab area to stack them on too, isn't it? Good work!.

Dude, that is a lot of wood:eek:. Looks great, wish I had the stamina to do it....can't take the summer heat, hard enough cuttin' the lawn.

good job. There has to be some great wood in those stacks somewhere.
I remember seeing that big slab in another thread sometime ago.
I love getting out when the weather cools down too. If the ground is frozen all the better.

Reactions: AJS56
Thanks everyone.
I used around 5 cord last year with new setup but not really a good winter to go by. Previous winter was over 8 cord with 30 year old wood furnace. Worst case scenario i should be at leat 3 years to the good.

HJ, that 3 years to the good is super! That is what most everyone should aim at. It really does make a difference. But yes, cutting in cooler or cold weather and also the splitting really is easier.

Quite impressive man. Love the stacks!

Lots of good btus there...lots of work but lots of heat as well. What was on the old slab there...nice place to work up and stack wood.

that's no longer a wood pile - but a commodity

wOw

Dude! You have a lumber yard!

Who needs to go to the gym to workout when you can c/s/s 18 cord and do something productive.

keep cutting!! It's money in the bank and good for you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.