Photos - Update to start of Polebuilding to house EKO w/storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrobertson

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2007
West Michigan
Finally done with the piping and leak testing. Insulation to start next week. These photos are of piping from boiler to 3 way valve. Also Expansion tank.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 521
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 504
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 498
Second Set of pics. Manifolds - The one by the ceiling is out of the tops of all tanks for air bleed. The large pipe is 8" PVC that sets up against one of the tanks. This way if I have a probe problem, I can still reach the tank through the pipe without taking out 50 bags of cellulose insulation. I put one in the middle of the tank and one at the top.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 491
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 493
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 502
Next set - hook ups to the three locations on the tanks. I have my house return piped to the middle of the tanks as I have to run my house circ at all times as this was how I hooked up the house when I had my CB. When my house is not calling for heat, I didn't want to place 180 degree water at the bottom of the tanks. Hopefully, the water will not mix the tanks to bad this way.

Edit on 9/28/09...
I changed my piping return to the bottom of the tanks as when I was returning the water from my heating zone to the middle of the tanks, I lost all my stratification due to mixing. I installed a variable speed circ and now I only return water to my tanks in the 120 degree range. The circ speeds up and slows down depending on if my air handler is calling for heat. I have excellent stratification now.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 502
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 504
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 482
Last set - OSB box to cover the manifolds in the boiler room. Bottom of tanks showing it on a semi-rim. Top of the tanks showing hookups leading to manifold with air vent.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 489
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 491
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 472
Looks great. It shouldn't be too hard to switch your aquastat so your circ doesn't run all the I time. I used a Honeywell R845 circulator relay on mine, when the thermostats call for heat the circ runs there is no high or low limits set to it. Just a thought.

My setup is kinda weird. I go through a coil in my forced air furnace and then go through a separate coil that is in my garage. I have a two stall garage under part of my house and to keep that end of the house warm, it must run all the time. Over next summer I'm planning on putting radiate heat under the floors and re-insulating so I should be able to remove the second heater. Eventually I want to redo all of the floors so I would only use my duct work for central air.

Looks good !!!! Looks like you and your Dad have been busy. did you use compresson fittings or shark bite fittings on the pex?

Rob

Compression on the 3/4 pex and sharkbite on the 1". I'm firing it now but only using one tank as I don't have the tanks insulated. Hopefully I'll get that done on Wed or Thursday. Right now I used some extra fiberglass insulation that I had to wrap one tank and I'm running the Eko and just letting it idle when it gets the tank up to temp, but it cools off as now its just one great big radiator heating up my uninsulated pole building. Not very efficient but no Natural Gas!

Status
Not open for further replies.