Physics: Calculating the impact of different size axes/mauls used for splitting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What type of splitting axe (maul) do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good trick and it works well for me.

You should try an 8-pound mall, tradergordo. I think you'll never go back to a six-pounder once you do.

......waiting on Dylan.......

Eric Johnson said:
......waiting on Dylan.......

I failed physics but I was summa cum laude with a major in 9-ball and minor in seven card stud.

Oh yeah? I lettered in pinball.

Yea, this was pretty much the conclusion of what I quoted in the first post on page 2 of this thread, although I still don't really get the significance of KE as it applies to this situation, or why in that quoted article they even mention it if it has no bearing? I usually find with physics I need to test things in the real world myself instead of relying on some formula that I could be mis-applying :)

Gideon said:
I don't think kinetic energy is the correct measure here.

The correct measure is momentum, which is mass times velocity.

When you split wood, you are not transferring kinetic energy to the log. Instead, you are attempting to drive the wedge through the log and the log is trying to stop you. So what's important is the value of the thing that represents the "tendency for an object to continue to move". That is momentum, not kinetic energy.

I won't get into the physics too deeply because BB will come in here and bust my stones, but I think this is really a very simple issue -

The momentum of the maul head is maul mass times velocity. If we swap weight for mass to simplify things, then it becomes apparent that you will have equal splitting power with

a 4 pound maul swung at a given speed X and an 8 pound maul swung at half the speed X.

In other words, it would only make sense to use a 4 pound maul if you could swing it twice as fast as an 8 pound maul. Most people can't.

By extension, you need to swing a 6 pound maul about 1/3 faster than an 8 pound maul to have the same splitting ability. Again, most men can't.

There is, of course, a limit to how heavy the maul can be. While it is true that an 80 pound maul could be swung at only 1/10th the speed of an 8 pound maul to achieve the same splitting effect, very few people could lift the 80 pound maul high enough and comfortably enough to generate the head speed required.

So for most men, 8 pounds is about the right balance between easy to lift to the top of the stroke and easy to accelerate to the proper velocity on the downstroke.

With women, the number is closer to 6.

OK - I lied, sorry BB, time to debunk the 1/2mv squared misunderstanding.

Think of two billiard balls exactly the same.

One is still and the other is driven into it for a direct impact. This is an "elastic collision".

Intuitively you know that if ball 1 is hit at 20 mph into ball 2, then, after the collision, ball 1 is still and ball 2 is travelling at 20 mph.

So far, every Bud drinking, Marlboro smokin physicist in the world gets it.

No lets repeat and increase the speed of Ball 1 by 10 mph to 30 mph. We look and we see that kinetic energy has increased from massx400(mph^2) to massx900(mph^2). Wow! Look at all of that kinetic energy. We really whacked that ball good - the kinetic energy more than doubled! whoop.

But what happened to Ball 2. Yes, as you might have expected, ball 2 is travelling at 30mph. Hmmm.

What this shows is that Kinetic Energy really doesn't give you a feel for what happend - Kinetic energy increased by more than double, but the speed increased only by the increase of the input speed.

Do you take it back inside for the draw or do you bring it back slightly ouside for the fade.
Personally on links courses I prefere the draw and let it roll. Big Bertha Ti 454

Excuse me wrong application. I got confused with all this talk of swings. and swing weights

I place the log on the rack and watch in amazement no noise as my 16 ton electric splitter does the job.
I still split a lot by hand and use which ever maul I pick up first 6 or 8 lbs makes no difference as long as it finds the short grass

So far, my buddy has a gas splitter he said I am welcome to use, but I like splitting by hand-- I had my parents down for dinner, and Dad wanted to take a couple swings, both with my new 8 pound maul, and with the 4 # axe from his grandfathers house that he used as a kid- I did replace the handle.. He said it brings back a lot of memories, and something about 4 generations using a tool--

Status
Not open for further replies.