1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Physics: Calculating the impact of different size axes/mauls used for splitting.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by tradergordo, Jun 5, 2006.

?

What type of splitting axe (maul) do you use?

1. 4 lb

34.6%
  2. 6 lb

46.2%
  3. 8 lb

3.8%
  4. 10 lb

3.8%
  5. 12 lb

3.8%
  6. >12 lb

7.7%
  7. OTHER

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    That's a good trick and it works well for me.

You should try an 8-pound mall, tradergordo. I think you'll never go back to a six-pounder once you do.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    ......waiting on Dylan.......
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I failed physics but I was summa cum laude with a major in 9-ball and minor in seven card stud.
  4. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Oh yeah? I lettered in pinball.
  5. tradergordo

tradergordo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Phoenixville, PA
    Yea, this was pretty much the conclusion of what I quoted in the first post on page 2 of this thread, although I still don't really get the significance of KE as it applies to this situation, or why in that quoted article they even mention it if it has no bearing? I usually find with physics I need to test things in the real world myself instead of relying on some formula that I could be mis-applying :)

6. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Do you take it back inside for the draw or do you bring it back slightly ouside for the fade.
    Personally on links courses I prefere the draw and let it roll. Big Bertha Ti 454

Excuse me wrong application. I got confused with all this talk of swings. and swing weights

I place the log on the rack and watch in amazement no noise as my 16 ton electric splitter does the job.
    I still split a lot by hand and use which ever maul I pick up first 6 or 8 lbs makes no difference as long as it finds the short grass
  7. njtomatoguy

njtomatoguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maple Shade, NJ
    So far, my buddy has a gas splitter he said I am welcome to use, but I like splitting by hand-- I had my parents down for dinner, and Dad wanted to take a couple swings, both with my new 8 pound maul, and with the 4 # axe from his grandfathers house that he used as a kid- I did replace the handle.. He said it brings back a lot of memories, and something about 4 generations using a tool--
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.