PI?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Walking in the woods a couple days ago, I noticed this.
I have other "leaves of three" plants, but I know what they are.
This one, not so much.
Got an idea?
0529131056.jpg
Some of these have 5 leaves, so I'm confuzzled.
Never seen PI in person....that I know of.

The oily looking red gloss says PI. All of it here first opens up with a red tint then as it matures it turns bright green. But the leaves are too ovate looking or oval shaped. PI leaves are wide at the base and come to a rounded point. At least one of the leaves in the threesome will have toothed margins, if not all of them.
It basically looks like PI. You could play it safe and assume it is Poison Ivy.

Little Johnny to math teacher, "Pi are round, cornbread are square".

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The second picture above is not PI and the first one does not really look like PI either. I'm not sure what it is though.

Reactions: TreePointer
I do know though that there are many different versions of PI and they look different, this is mainly location dependent.
Yep. I've got a variety around the yard that needs tending to. One thing they all have is bristly stems when young and vines when older

Pi = 3.14159 ;lol

Not a strawberry plant,
I think it's PI.

The greener leaves of three in the back of photo 2 are Jack in the Pulpit. The redder one in the foreground could be PI, but I'm not 100% sure.

watermelon.

Doesn't look like PI. Don't look like Virginia Creeper either.

Words of advice that took me about thirty years to follow "Leaves of three let it BE!!!"

I have some taking over this place, I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and post them. None of your pictures appear to be PI to me but I've see some variations over the years.

the 5-leafer is Virginia Creeper as nsfd95 noted above...

Reactions: nsfd95
No PI in those pics like I've ever seen. I always look for the 'thumb' that is on one edge of each leaf of pi. Pretty early in the year for it to turn red too. I wouldn't be worried about it and I can catch pi over a Wi-Fi connection.

Reactions: albert1029
No PI in your photo. The plant in the center with three-part leaves is a plant in the ginseng family, which I think is called Wild Sasparilla Root or something similar. I don't have my wildflower book to be sure of the name, but it is not Poison Ivy.

No PI in your photo. The plant in the center with three-part leaves is a plant in the ginseng family, which I think is called Wild Sasparilla Root or something similar. I don't have my wildflower book to be sure of the name, but it is not Poison Ivy.

+1 on the Wild Sarsaparilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.