Piazzetta Monia DB9 Function

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi,
i just bought a piazzetta monia for my little house near Drummondville , Quebec . Im a little bit a geek and i bought the stove only because i see the db9 port on it so we can do some funny stuff with it :). First i ask my dealer to loan me the remote for a week to check for ir code. Next when i will got it i want to run it with a small computer to remotely control the stove(Raspberry pi). To do like turn off when im xx km away or down the temperature when i quit for more than x hours... Im a beginner in stove my primary business im a Internet service provider in rural area. So i have a couple of question about what the db9 can do. like can we extract data from the stove and can we control more thing from the stove then the remote that only do (up/down temperature and off/on function). I just order a manometer to do tuning (because the dealer just put out of the box and connect to my chimney and do the first burn and give me some basic advice that was in the user book... So any advice will be welcome :) I speak french and my english is not perfect but i'm sure we can understand each other :)

Reactions: chken
Pascal Martens is your man, he is from Quebec and a wealth of info for anything Piazzetta. Let us know what you find, I have a Monia as well.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Hi,
i just bought a piazzetta monia for my little house near Drummondville , Quebec . Im a little bit a geek and i bought the stove only because i see the db9 port on it so we can do some funny stuff with it :). First i ask my dealer to loan me the remote for a week to check for ir code. Next when i will got it i want to run it with a small computer to remotely control the stove(Raspberry pi). To do like turn off when im xx km away or down the temperature when i quit for more than x hours... Im a beginner in stove my primary business im a Internet service provider in rural area. So i have a couple of question about what the db9 can do. like can we extract data from the stove and can we control more thing from the stove then the remote that only do (up/down temperature and off/on function). I just order a manometer to do tuning (because the dealer just put out of the box and connect to my chimney and do the first burn and give me some basic advice that was in the user book... So any advice will be welcome :) I speak french and my english is not perfect but i'm sure we can understand each other :)
I will answer you in both language so everyone understand, my English is not that good too but I got my way true this forum. the DB9 is use for many tings first; to do the software upgrade, to do so you will need a boot loader the software that goes with it and the correct new firmware for your stove, if you own a Monia well you want to give me a buzz I can't say more. It's also use to remotely contrôle your stove with an GPRS in North America we have so many other way to control a stove just visite Honeywell thermostat and you will be amazed and you wont need that GPRS with is mostly like a cell phone hook to your stove today we mostly use Wi-Fi with phone app it's cheaper and easier to use I live in Mont-Laurier, Qc. and I am very interested to know what as a geek you can do with the remote ir code keep me informed it could also be good for the other forum user, cause the original remote puff... there isn't much to do with it there is no display on it. thanks, you can either call me at 819-623-5336 or e-mail me at [email protected]

regards
Pascal Maertens
Rona Mont-Laurier
upload_2015-11-2_8-48-45.png

Bonjour, la prise DB9 est utilisé plusieurs façons; elle est utilisé pour faire les mise à jour de votre poêle pour ce faire vous aurez besoin d'un outil appelé boot loader d'un logiciel et et d'une nouvelle version avec les nouvelle mises à jours pour votre poêle si vous posséder un Monia vous voulez communiquer avec moi, je ne peux en dire plus. une autre utilité du DB9 est de pouvoir contrôler à distance à l'aide d'un dispositif GPRS utilisé en Europe et s'apparente à une carte cellulaire ici nous avons plusieurs façon de contrôler à distance vous n'avez qu'à visiter le site de Honeywell ils ont des thermostats assez cool pour un techno. en passant étant très intéresser par tous ce qui touche les Piazzetta si vous arrivez à faire quoi que ce soit avec les code IR de la télécommande j'aimerais bien que vous m'en avisiez cela pourrait très bien être utile pour d'autre utilisateur de ce forum merci vous pouvez me rejoindre au 819-623-5336 ou par courriel à [email protected]

Bien à vous
Pascal Maertens

Reactions: chken
Hi,
First if i understand well from info i got from internet the monia have a RF receiver built in. The remote is just a rf sender not ir at 433.5 Mhz. It's pretty straight forward to get a raspberry pi with lirc (35$) and a rf blaster (2$) as long we can got the rf code and a little apps for lirc on google apps (i dont know for iphone). For this we need a remote to read it with the pi. I see some knock off remote on ebay for 10 euro. The board itself is a micronova and it's seem too be use in a lot of european stove. Is just the firmware inside that change. That's where the challenge start... I have to check if the communication port are standard to other stove. Because we found a website from a guy that try to do exactly the same thing at http://k3a.me/ir-controller-for-pel...ontroller-stufe-e-pellet-aria-ir-telecomando/ . So here i am for now ... My friend is suppose to come at my house next weekend and we will start to probe the serial port. Yeah i see about the bootloader stuff. I will drop you a line at the end of the day. I have to return to work to finish to paid for the stove :p

Reactions: Pascal_Maertens
Hi,
First if i understand well from info i got from internet the monia have a RF receiver built in. The remote is just a rf sender not ir at 433.5 Mhz. It's pretty straight forward to get a raspberry pi with lirc (35$) and a rf blaster (2$) as long we can got the rf code and a little apps for lirc on google apps (i dont know for iphone). For this we need a remote to read it with the pi. I see some knock off remote on ebay for 10 euro. The board itself is a micronova and it's seem too be use in a lot of european stove. Is just the firmware inside that change. That's where the challenge start... I have to check if the communication port are standard to other stove. Because we found a website from a guy that try to do exactly the same thing at http://k3a.me/ir-controller-for-pel...ontroller-stufe-e-pellet-aria-ir-telecomando/ . So here i am for now ... My friend is suppose to come at my house next weekend and we will start to probe the serial port. Yeah i see about the bootloader stuff. I will drop you a line at the end of the day. I have to return to work to finish to paid for the stove :p
booo! I went on this web site, I mean that this is way too much for me, I do not understand electronics that far, I'm very good at; computer, software, understanding, plugins, and configuring end users stuff, but that's about it. I wish I'd know more of this but, its like Chinese to me. ;hm if you ever come up with some interesting software let me know I do understand Italian an did trie the Seraminet software but it does not seem to recognise my serial device, witch is my boot loader. I can upload from my computer the firmware but was unable to make any modification or transfer to the stove.

Last edited:
Hello Patrick and Pascal,

I'm writting from France where I have a Piazzetta as well. Did you find any device allowing remote control for the stove?
I'm installing a Raspberry pi at home and I would like to use it to manage my Piazzetta.
I saw a post on Internet explaining how to switch off/on the stove with a dry contact throught the DB9 port.
It's been a while and I hope you get it work!

Thanks

Nico

Bonjour Patrik et Pascal,

J'écris depuis la France où j'utilise également un Piazzetta. Avez vous trouvé des composants ou astuces pour contrôler votre poêle à distance?
Je suis en train de configurer un raspberry pi à la maison, et j'aimerai bien l'utiliser pour piloter mon Piazzetta.
J'ai vu un post sur Internet ou quelqu'un disait qu'il était possible de démarrer/éteindre le poêle avec un contact sec via DB9.
ça fait un moment que ce post est ouvert et j'espère que vous y êtes arrivés.

Merci

Nico

I'm writting from France where I have a Piazzetta as well. Did you find any device allowing remote control for the stove?
I'm installing a Raspberry pi at home and I would like to use it to manage my Piazzetta.
I saw a post on Internet explaining how to switch off/on the stove with a dry contact throught the DB9 port.

Thanks

Nico

J'écris depuis la France où j'utilise également un Piazzetta. Avez vous trouvé des composants ou astuces pour contrôler votre poêle à distance?
Je suis en train de configurer un raspberry pi à la maison, et j'aimerai bien l'utiliser pour piloter mon Piazzetta.
J'ai vu un post sur Internet ou quelqu'un disait qu'il était possible de démarrer/éteindre le poêle avec un contact sec via DB9.

Merci

Nico
The NEST-thermostat can be installed on the P963 only if the version of the firebox is post version 13 (2013).
Their is a firmware that has to be used for the update to version 13/13.1 (!! DATA BANK => service "05" for P963)
This NEST-thermostat on the external thermostat connection on the stove (N.O. connection) and has to be activated on the menu EXT. THERMOSTAT (see below).
GetFileAttachment

if you own a bootloader send me an e-mail at [email protected] I also need model and serial number

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl

Thanks

Nico

Merci

Nico
Google
Controlling Micronova pellet stove motherboard – Stufe a pellet Aria Idro IR telecomando seriale