Piazzetta Monia opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was just reading section 7.12 WHEN NOT IN USE in the Monia Manual and it states;

"using a steel brush, clean the baffle plate or internal baffle plates of the firebox and coat them using the spray paint, supplied with the kit, to prevent them from oxidising and consequently forming rust" .

Just wondering what you people that have owned a Piazzetta for more than 1 season have done and what you would recommend Pascal?

I was just reading section 7.12 WHEN NOT IN USE in the Monia Manual and it states;

"using a steel brush, clean the baffle plate or internal baffle plates of the firebox and coat them using the spray paint, supplied with the kit, to prevent them from oxidising and consequently forming rust" .

Just wondering what you people that have owned a Piazzetta for more than 1 season have done and what you would recommend Pascal?
I know it says that, but you will not find any more paint in the new arrivals. And the question was what would I use well I do not know the word in English sorry but in French it’s ( mine à poêle ) it’s a polis that we use to put on the cast-iron stove but it’s black only and for all regular metal just an HI-temp paint should do the job but I have not tried it yet. it's not all stove that need to be repainted only 2 of our customer have complained about this issus. and i'm still loking whit Piazzetta to see what can be done. my stove is still in very good shape no trace of rust any.

Reactions: chken
this is the product

Attachments

• mine a poele.jpg
    mine a poele.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 367
Bonjour Pascal

In my case the original motor is fine , no noise using very old pellets with a lot of fines and sawdust but last season with premium pellet (La Crete) the auger was getting some binding and the motor noticeably noisier under more load .

Merci
Gaston

PS

Pascal by any chance do you have the schematic for the Micronova IO 23 control board ?
MICRONOVA :
Antonio Niedda,
Tel. 049/8931563
Fax 049/8931346
Email [email protected]

Thanks again Pascal. I've seen that black stove polish around as well.

I never thought of using stove black. I went old school and sprayed it with WD40

I've had the Monia for just 2 seasons and here are my subsequent issues which I had to rectify on my own! Retailer had no clue on how to service!
1) Replaced very noisy room fan in beginning of 2014 season (note: just one year of ownership)
2) Replaced warped rear baffle plate
3) Replaced rusted out Burn Pot after 3 ply paint protection within 2 seasons
4) Rethreaded screw mount for auger base plate
4) Readjust fan speeds (P2, P3, and P4) via E9 set key
5) Readjust pot cleans to every 40 mins instead of 1 hour
6) Readjust RPM speeds

OK..I don't mind resetting the fan speeds etc, but replacing parts after just 1 or 2 seasons does't fit my book! This stove rusts out and plates warp fast and cleaning / replacing auger and room fan debris is not a simple task. Overall, I'm not happy!

I hear ya! We had nothing but trouble with ours. It was such a relief to replace it. We've been so warm this winter and the cleaning was so minimal and NO unburned pellets!

Last edited:
I hear ya! We had nothing but trouble with ours. It was such a relief to replace it. We've been so warm this winter and the cleaning was so minimal and NO unburied pellets!
Interesting..What stove did you replace it with?

In result, do you like or not your stove? Did it heat up your house properly or not? And did you had to pay for any of these replacements? Cause within two years it is supposed to be on warranty. I still run my Piazzetta, and I can assure you that I have now around 45 Sabrina and 10 Monia sold, and beside one, that the customer chooses a Monia, even if told that it would not be suitable for their house of 1700 square foot, wood rip insulated, but we finally took back the stove just by pride, saying that we have no unsatisfied customer. And for some customer that complained having black soot in their glass door, where immediately corrected just by raising the blower RPM, and some other just by cleaning their chimney. After three years of running and having sold the product I will not say that I am 100% satisfied but 98%, there are some little things that need to be talk over but nothing major.

That was my opinion I feel very bad for those out there that have a bad service from their dealers but this has nothing to do with the product.

Regards to all of you.

In result, do you like or not your stove? Did it heat up your house properly or not? And did you had to pay for any of these replacements? Cause within two years it is supposed to be on warranty. I still run my Piazzetta, and I can assure you that I have now around 45 Sabrina and 10 Monia sold, and beside one, that the customer chooses a Monia, even if told that it would not be suitable for their house of 1700 square foot, wood rip insulated, but we finally took back the stove just by pride, saying that we have no unsatisfied customer. And for some customer that complained having black soot in their glass door, where immediately corrected just by raising the blower RPM, and some other just by cleaning their chimney. After three years of running and having sold the product I will not say that I am 100% satisfied but 98%, there are some little things that need to be talk over but nothing major.

That was my opinion I feel very bad for those out there that have a bad service from their dealers but this has nothing to do with the product.

Regards to all of you.
My issues revolve around the product and not so much the dealer. Warped baffle plates (cleaning nightmare!) and cracked burn pots after just 2 seasons leads me to believe I'll be paying a lot more than 4K in the next 5 years - past the warranty. I'm actually less dependent on my retailer because not every single one possesses the required knowledge to program and service Piazzetta stoves, although a handful actually do. (not mine!!) Subsequently, my service issues revolve around replacement order periods and programming advice, hence, I'm still waiting for my new burn pot since January.

Last edited:
We found a different dealer who carries Piazzetta stoves to come out and fix or confirm our issues. They went to bat for us with the distributor. We had a lemon. The distributor picked up the stove and handed us a check for what we paid for it.

Well I guess it depends on your definition of junk. We've had it one season. Not one single issue, it kept our house toasty warm, and it was SO easy to maintain. We paid half of what we shelled out for the Monia.

In the first three months of running the Monia we had a warped back plate, tons of UNBURNED pellets, a cold house, daily cleanings (which could only take place after the stove had been off for hours), zero customer service from the dealer, smoke pouring into my after the fan cut off (because of the unburned pellet mound), burning pellets backing up into the hopper and catching them on fire, severe smoke damage to the house resulting in an insurance claim..... I could go on and on..... Read my previous posts. So in my book our EcoChoice is anything but junk.

Bottom line, we have a great distributor this time White Mt Stoves who will be here with bells on to fix anything that might eventually break.

Well like Chken I have the Sabrina and I think they use the same auger motor , had noise as well and sounded like the motor was working very hard, made me think that the gears were ready to give up soon ,replaced the motor with a spare 1 RPM (instead of 1.2 RPM) things worked fine for a bit and then the same noise , motor working very hard . Removed the covers again and checked the motor ,under normal conditions you have about 2 cm of play you can move the motor back and forth between the two bars ,in my situation was very very hard to move the motor/auger combination but after a few tries things get loose again , noise goes away for awhile then back again. Emptied the pellet hopper (removed the safety grid) and found a lot of fines at the bottom (at the time I was burning La Crete pellets) vacuum everything up and tried again, this time I didn't put the left side cover on (all this was last year at the end of the season) so at the first sign of things getting noisy I would just wiggle the motor/auger a bit and free things up . This season I started with the original motor( 1.2 RPM) and burned 70 bags of very very bad pellets old with a lot of saw dust and fines and mixed with some La Crete pellet l (with this combination need to clean the burning pot every day and fumes temperatures are lower) . I checked the bottom of the hopper a few times and I have a lot of fines but no jambs ever . I still have about 20 bags of the very old stuff after that I will be back to the La Crete pellet and I will let you know the results ( My guess is the pellet maybe too much resin in the fines when pressed by the auger creating a bind and with the auger almost vertical more fines keep falling back)

Stayed tuned for next episode

Regards
Gus
Well season almost over burning La Crete since mid January with no issues,for the last two months I was away and the wife only scraped the burning pot and vacuum the ashes on the sides of it and no major cleaning . Did loose a couple points on the manometer (draft) . Back on the original problem (auger) could not replicate ,the only difference I recall on the previous La Crete batch the pellets were harder many long pieces and darker in color but had a beautiful wood smell every time I opened a bag .
So La Crete pellets for the next season

Later

Well I guess it depends on your definition of junk. We've had it one season. Not one single issue, it kept our house toasty warm, and it was SO easy to maintain. We paid half of what we shelled out for the Monia.

In the first three months of running the Monia we had a warped back plate, tons of UNBURNED pellets, a cold house, daily cleanings (which could only take place after the stove had been off for hours), zero customer service from the dealer, smoke pouring into my after the fan cut off (because of the unburned pellet mound), burning pellets backing up into the hopper and catching them on fire, severe smoke damage to the house resulting in an insurance claim..... I could go on and on..... Read my previous posts. So in my book our EcoChoice is anything but junk.

Bottom line, we have a great distributor this time White Mt Stoves who will be here with bells on to fix anything that might eventually break.
Ohhh yes.. I hear you loud and clear on all the above. I forgot to mention my smoke infested evenings within my first year of owning the Monia. Definitely not going with ANY Piazzetta again!

I played by all the Piazzetta rules, heat coating the baffle plate and stove's removable guts. I sprayed the burn pot twice and had to exchange for a new one because it rusted out between the holes after the first season. They don't make them like they used to, that's for sure!

anyone have one of these stoves yet? my local dealer just started selling them and trained up last week.

really like the look of them , and it was real quite in the store.

i Was also looking at the Enviro mini , enviro m55 , and enviro Omega.

http://www.piazzetta.com/products/sc/monia/

monia.jpg
There is a Piazzetti dealer close to me and there are several locals that purchased these stoves over the last few years. They are on this Forum in the fall and several have contacted me. No reported issue. I have a Palazzetti a close cousin and with over 8,000 hours on it, great stove!!!

This June I’m invited to go at Gruppo Piazzetta in Asolo Italy for a technical mechanical formation, I have good faith that I’ll be even more efficient helping you guys. And yes I do have some issue that I also want to discuss with them, if you have any subject suggestion be my guest i'll be pleased to bring you answers.

This June I’m invited to go at Gruppo Piazzetta in Asolo Italy for a technical mechanical formation, I have good faith that I’ll be even more efficient helping you guys. And yes I do have some issue that I also want to discuss with them, if you have any subject suggestion be my guest i'll be pleased to bring you answers.
What about those new firepots that were supposed to be coming for the Sabrina with the stainless steel lip?

What about those new firepots that were supposed to be coming for the Sabrina with the stainless steel lip?
I will still ask, but I have been given an answer for this issue from a Piazzetta importation director. He told me that for now there where nothing officially done yet or operational. I know that this product is available on the net, but for me, one feature that would come handy would be to have a good gage stainless deflector for the pellets not to go over the grate the one that come with it, deteriorate to fast.

I will still ask, but I have been given an answer for this issue from a Piazzetta importation director. He told me that for now there where nothing officially done yet or operational. I know that this product is available on the net, but for me, one feature that would come handy would be to have a good gage stainless deflector for the pellets not to go over the grate the one that come with it, deteriorate to fast.
Yes, the grate will crack after 1 - 2 seasons. This should be kept clean with a wire brush daily. :(