Piazzetta Monia opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
hello...just found this forum and was wondering if pascal was still available.....have a monia......two years....

I have had my Monia for 2 yrs as well, any thing I could help you with?

hello...just found this forum and was wondering if pascal was still available.....have a monia......two years....
Drop him a message, he posted last month, so I assume he's still active.

thank you.....seems to work quite well, although the internal baffle is quite heavy and difficult to remove...i don't think my wife could do it.....they should advertise pellet stove for men only :)...i'm 75, my wife 65, and it's likely i'll leave before her, and i doubt she will be able to handle proper cleaning by herself.....
also, i was wondering if there was an exploded diagram to show the inner workings available, also proper instructions on how to clean the insides....like which panels to remove and how etc......
it seems to soot up quite a bit.....would increased fan speed make a difference?, and will it make too much noise this way?
these are a few things i was wondering about....cheers...........

If you go to the first page of the Pellet Mill, you will find a permanent thread with information on the Piazzettas.

Was your stove set up with a magnehelic gauge? What is your exhaust configuration? What power level do you burn on? How often do you clean the exhaust pathways (inside the stove and the venting)? What brand/type of pellets doyou use? All these factors will effect how your stove burns.

As to the back baffle, I know they had an issue with some warped ones that created issues with reinstall. Those were some of the first stoves in use in the US.

You might want to start a new thread for you specific issues but here is fine too. Welcome to the forum!

hello, bonjour pascal.....ha, i used to live in montreal, and play in a band on weekends in st. sauveur in nymarks inn....long time ago...:):) i'm 75 now and live up in burns lake bc....
i'm not good at reading or understanding instructions, but i try :).....i have a monia on the main floor, and it seems to run quite well, and i'm quite happy with it.....third winter coming up....i use it until the temp goes below -5 or so, then i use the wood stove in the basement...
it's exiting the roof...maybe 12 foot pipe.....was using power saving mode...with a power setting of 1, then changed it to 2, cause it seemed to be sooting up quite a bit...it seems a little better now.....recommendations appreciated......
i clean it regularly...burn pot or grate, seems in good shape.....but the internal baffle is a bit of a pain to remove...i don't think my wife could remove it if i kicked the bucket.....as i mentioned before....stove should be advertised "for men only" :)....i have to lift it off with a screwdriver an pull it forward so i can grab those two tabs to remove it....takes a bit of practice so i don't jam it....
you mentioned that in this mode the igniter burns out more quickly, which is my concern...also is there a exploded diagram or whatever to show the inner construction and explanation on how to do repairs or internal cleaning...the stove reminds me of a brass instrument...you know where it goe in and where it comes out, but where it goes in between...nobody knows :):).......the people at the lumber yard here, don't know much about it....i only found your great contribution just yesterday.......so i'd have to do my own repairs whenever it will be necessary......i guess it's past the two year warranty now....
thanks for your time and selflessness .....much appreciated....cheers, vic

Last edited:
Reactions: Pascal_Maertens
was using power saving mode...with a power setting of 1, then changed it to 2, cause it seemed to be sooting up quite a bit...it seems a little better now.....recommendations appreciated......
well I have always recommand to run the stove at power level 3 cause at 1 and 2 there is no self cleaning procedures

i clean it regularly...burn pot or grate, seems in good shape.....
you need to clean the grate every number of .... ? day

but the internal baffle is a bit of a pain to remove...i don't think my wife could remove it if i kicked the bucket.....as i mentioned before....stove should be advertised "for men only" :)....i have to lift it off with a screwdriver an pull it forward so i can grab those two tabs to remove it....takes a bit of practice so i don't jam it....
well this issue on a monis is well kwnone I circerely never sale Monia

you mentioned that in this mode the igniter burns out more quickly, which is my concern..
well only if the stove goes off and back on with in 15 minute or less. du to a bad house insulation

.also is there a exploded diagram or whatever to show the inner construction and explanation on how to do repairs or internal cleaning...the stove reminds me of a brass instrument...you know where it goe in and where it comes out, but where it goes in between...nobody knows :):).......the people at the lumber yard here, don't know much about it....i only found your great contribution just yesterday.......so i'd have to do my own repairs whenever it will be necessary......i guess it's past the two year warranty now....
what ever the problem I will be abble to help you out. beside the baffle issue .

thank you pascal........do you mean you don't sell the monia model any more?
and we have good insulation in house and the stove stays off for a long time...i was just curious about what i could repair by myself when the time came.......
i do clean the grate every day....and thanks for the power level 3 information...will do......
so i guess drawings of the inner construction of the stove is not available...and info on how to dismantle and clean the fans etc etc.....
thanks for you help...cheers, vic

hello, bonjour pascal.....ha, i used to live in montreal, and play in a band on weekends in st. sauveur in nymarks inn....long time ago...:):) i'm 75 now and live up in burns lake bc....
i'm not good at reading or understanding instructions, but i try :).....i have a monia on the main floor, and it seems to run quite well, and i'm quite happy with it.....third winter coming up....i use it until the temp goes below -5 or so, then i use the wood stove in the basement...
it's exiting the roof...maybe 12 foot pipe.....was using power saving mode...with a power setting of 1, then changed it to 2, cause it seemed to be sooting up quite a bit...it seems a little better now.....recommendations appreciated......
i clean it regularly...burn pot or grate, seems in good shape.....but the internal baffle is a bit of a pain to remove...i don't think my wife could remove it if i kicked the bucket.....as i mentioned before....stove should be advertised "for men only" :)....i have to lift it off with a screwdriver an pull it forward so i can grab those two tabs to remove it....takes a bit of practice so i don't jam it....
you mentioned that in this mode the igniter burns out more quickly, which is my concern...also is there a exploded diagram or whatever to show the inner construction and explanation on how to do repairs or internal cleaning...the stove reminds me of a brass instrument...you know where it goe in and where it comes out, but where it goes in between...nobody knows :):).......the people at the lumber yard here, don't know much about it....i only found your great contribution just yesterday.......so i'd have to do my own repairs whenever it will be necessary......i guess it's past the two year warranty now....
The backplate issue seems to have affected a few Monias. You may be able to search old threads for a solution or perhaps Pascal remembers what they did.

As for sooting, it helps to know is it blackish? Or are you just talking about lots of gray ash in the grate? Or are you talking about the glass? If the glass, higher fan speeds help, but only a little. If lots of ash in the grate, perhaps a different pellet brand will burn better. If black soot, then more air is needed. There's a sticky at the top of the forum on Piazzettas that Pascal wrote, and there are quite a few threads from 2 seasons ago where we tackle adjusting the air with and without a manometer.

What I've done to make the back heavy baffle plate to slide in easier is to apply a very small amount of oil (Pam cooking spray) to the edges, works great.

it's been quite a while...hope someone is still here.....notice my blower fan is a bit noisy....would like to clean and oil....and wondered about access...thanks. victor

actually i just talked to northwest stoves, and they are emailing me a proper manual, which describes the cleaning processes in detail.....the one i have only mentioned a few things......so i should be ok hopefully ......

well, i cleaned the blower fan and added a few drops of oil to the bushing -bearing on the left side...couldn't access the right side easily ....so we'll see what happens....will be happy to hear any extra advice....cheers, victor

Last edited: