Piazzetta Monia opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi everyone,

We've had our Monia since October, it's been great all winter and is saving us a ton on oil. This site has been an invaluable resource for a new stove owner. A couple of questions for fellow Piazzetta owners:

1. Is there a trick to removing the rear baffle plate for weekly cleanings? Every week when I remove, it seems like getting it out and back in again is a struggle. It feels like the width of the plate is the exact width of the inside of the stove.
  2. Occasionally, after the stove is shut down completely, 10 minutes later, we can smell smoke that seems to be left over embers still burning. This doesn't happen often, but it happens. Have anyone else experienced this?
point 1. I'm not sure what you have been said for you to clean this every week ?? cause I clean mine every 50 pouches including my chimney pipes. but for the size of it, if you are confident maybe just a little sanding could do the job
point 2. there is a way to adjust the convection blower to stop latter refer to a technician to have the program p-13 lowered to 40celcius it is at 43celcius by default this way you combustion fan is going to stop at 40 Celsius less chance to have red hot ashes
point 2. also as I said in the post ((configure your stove to be auto clean more often and also for a longer period of time, I explain; in the configuration program you can adjust the pot or grate cleaning interval from; 30 min to 180 min by default it is set to 60, I settled mine for 30 minute. Also the grate cleaning time can be change; from 10 sec. to 30 sec. I set these one to 30 seconds even if it seems to be very little changes it makes a big difference.

all of these adjustments need to be done by a tech, of curse someone can give you access to all of dose codes ( irresponsible people ) but I assure you that it can be very dangerous to make modification to some codes whit out proper knowledge it's better to pay a little extra to get satisfaction. By the way if you would be my customer there would be no charge for this kind of adjustments cause you would have get it set up anyway on the FIRST START of your stove that's what WE call service you can ask your dealer if they are responsible they might just go and fix it for you no charge.

good luck
Pascal

point 1. I'm not sure what you have been said for you to clean this every week ?? cause I clean mine every 50 pouches including my chimney pipes. but for the size of it, if you are confident maybe just a little sanding could do the job
point 2. there is a way to adjust the convection blower to stop latter refer to a technician to have the program p-13 lowered to 40celcius it is at 43celcius by default this way you combustion fan is going to stop at 40 Celsius less chance to have red hot ashes
point 2. also as I said in the post ((configure your stove to be auto clean more often and also for a longer period of time, I explain; in the configuration program you can adjust the pot or grate cleaning interval from; 30 min to 180 min by default it is set to 60, I settled mine for 30 minute. Also the grate cleaning time can be change; from 10 sec. to 30 sec. I set these one to 30 seconds even if it seems to be very little changes it makes a big difference.

all of these adjustments need to be done by a tech, of curse someone can give you access to all of dose codes ( irresponsible people ) but I assure you that it can be very dangerous to make modification to some codes whit out proper knowledge it's better to pay a little extra to get satisfaction. By the way if you would be my customer there would be no charge for this kind of adjustments cause you would have get it set up anyway on the FIRST START of your stove that's what WE call service you can ask your dealer if they are responsible they might just go and fix it for you no charge.

good luck
Pascal

Thanks for your response.

I clean the behind the baffle every week because that what the manual says to do. But I do wait about 50 bags or so to clean the vent pipe.

As far as the second points, I saw you make the recommendation for the cleaning intervals and made that adjustment at 03P and 12P, I also went to P13 and lowered to 104F (40C). I'm a computer and tech guy so this stuff isn't that scary to me. I didn't touch anything else in there.

Hi everyone,

We've had our Monia since October, it's been great all winter and is saving us a ton on oil. This site has been an invaluable resource for a new stove owner. A couple of questions for fellow Piazzetta owners:

1. Is there a trick to removing the rear baffle plate for weekly cleanings? Every week when I remove, it seems like getting it out and back in again is a struggle. It feels like the width of the plate is the exact width of the inside of the stove.
  2. Occasionally, after the stove is shut down completely, 10 minutes later, we can smell smoke that seems to be left over embers still burning. This doesn't happen often, but it happens. Have anyone else experienced this?
1) No, not really. You turn the cams, then push up a little, the ease it out at the bottom. Don't think there is any other way. Of course, it's tight, and requires a very, very straight extraction and insertion.

2) Usually, when my Piazzetta starts up, I can smell a little. I figure this is because if you look carefully at the air wash, the slits are open at the top. I figure if the stove is not creating pressure, then passive pressure can suck a little tiny bit of smoke out.

I clean the behind the baffle every week because that what the manual says to do. But I do wait about 50 bags or so to clean the vent pipe.

As far as the second points, I saw you make the recommendation for the cleaning intervals and made that adjustment at 03P and 12P, I also went to P13 and lowered to 104F (40C). I'm a computer and tech guy so this stuff isn't that scary to me. I didn't touch anything else in there.
I wouldn't worry too much. I've fiddled with all of my settings! From having done it, I have the sense that all the settings are within a range. That is, you can't go outside of the mfr.'s allowable range, so you can't screw too much up. And if you do, you can always hit the reset.

well I hope this will help you out for the baffle cleaning well I assure you that I clean mine almost every 50 bags it does the job but more often is much better then less have u tried to sand the edges cause I think that there must no be much to sand just to fit this thing in there.

Reactions: pelletpoop

good luck
Pascal

Ah Pascal, I wish we had purchased our Monia SC from a dealer like you! We can't get them to return a phone call! We have had all kinds of issues with the stove since we bought it Oct. 2012. Regarding the back plate. We recently had the distributor come to the house and he was going to order us a new one. The plate has since been fixed in the newer models. He also made the adjustments that you suggested. Unfortunately the issues are still present.

Has anyone else had issues with the units exhaust fan turning off, even when there is still fire in the chamber? Also the stove does not burn the pellets to ash. They are just charred pellets for the most part. We have to scoop the brownie out the fire chamber every 6-8 hours to keep the pellets from filling up the ash pan. We also continue to have the pellets backup in the shoot. This scares me to death, since we had pellets in the hopper smoldering our first winter using it! We were told that was impossible. Luckily we were home and caught it before it did any damage. We clean it thoroughly every single day! We burn Super Premium soft wood pellets.

NHMtns, sorry to hear all those issues you are having, I was only have the two issues. Are you saying that you also had trouble getting the rear baffle in and out, and they provided you with a new one that goes in and out more easily?

NHMtns, sorry to hear all those issues you are having, I was only have the two issues. Are you saying that you also had trouble getting the rear baffle in and out, and they provided you with a new one that goes in and out more easily?
Yes the rear baffle is almost impossible to remove and reinstall. They said that it warps from heat and they are since redesigned it. We haven't received it yet, but we are supposed to.

There are many good stoves,and many opinions.If you like that style,read up on the enviro mini or ecoteck stoves.

NHMtns, sorry to hear of your issues as we have only heard good about the Piazzettas. What have they done to remedy the pellet back-up and unburned pellets? Have you been in contact with Pacific Energy if the dealer is not addressing the problem?

Finally, if after giving them reasonable time to sort this out, please advise of the dealer so others can avoid them...

Reactions: pelletpoop
Ah Pascal, I wish we had purchased our Monia SC from a dealer like you! We can't get them to return a phone call! We have had all kinds of issues with the stove since we bought it Oct. 2012. Regarding the back plate. We recently had the distributor come to the house and he was going to order us a new one. The plate has since been fixed in the newer models. He also made the adjustments that you suggested. Unfortunately the issues are still present.

Has anyone else had issues with the units exhaust fan turning off, even when there is still fire in the chamber? Also the stove does not burn the pellets to ash. They are just charred pellets for the most part. We have to scoop the brownie out the fire chamber every 6-8 hours to keep the pellets from filling up the ash pan. We also continue to have the pellets backup in the shoot. This scares me to death, since we had pellets in the hopper smoldering our first winter using it! We were told that was impossible. Luckily we were home and caught it before it did any damage. We clean it thoroughly every single day! We burn Super Premium soft wood pellets.
That sounds like a lemon. I think the regional distributor is in S. New Hampshire.

Exhaust fan premature turn off? No. Pellets unburned? No. Brownies every 6 to 8 hours? Never. Pellet backup into the chute? No.

Very much a lemon.

Reactions: NHMtns and Mt Bob

ok so point 1. is fix, and point 2. seems to be adjusted like you said, but there is also one more adjustment that can be done and this one is really going to fix that final issue at the same time (( Also the stove does not burn the pellets to ashwich ))if we could talk would be much simpler for me cause I have a hard time whit my English. do you have Skype, faebook or something that we can talk or video chat. if yes, I would be able to fix your problem on the spot but you would also need a tool like the one on the picture can also be digital

the problem explained example; in mode Power P3 on a monia stove, the combustion fan must be set so that the negative pressure in smoke chamber show 85 pascals or 0,34 WC on the magnehelic tool by default. This is the air going true the grate, if the RPM of the combustion fan is not hi enough it will result in; 1 ash not burn properly then 2 ahs not burn will turn in to a sponge like a little bread or like you say a brownie then 3 when the stove stops the red ash left in the grate will smoke out of the stove as soon as the blower stops and finally 4 sometime when the stove will start back it can result in a pile of pellets half burned and get a message of (( stove did not start )) I just don't remember the exact word cause mine is set in French it says ((dafaux d'allumage))

now what can be done; just like gas carburetor altitude can change air pressure and affect the efficiencies of combustion so whit this information I have tried to make some change on my own stove and find out how to fix all of dose problem by simply raising the RPM of the combustion fan to get +10 pascal on the magnehelic tool and this true all off the level; start phase I, Phase II, power 1,2,3,and 4 after this adjustment ash will burn completely the cleaning task will be only for the ash tray cause the grate should always be clean so when the stove stops there will be no ahs to be red in the grate and smoke the place

if you cant get service from a near by service center then a magnehelic should cost you less then 50$ on the internet then contact me on my facebook Pascal Maertens I will help you set you stove properly please don't try to do it your self that's all what I can offer you and you will finally IMG_0085.JPG be an other satisfied Piazzetta customer lol...

Reactions: NHMtns and chken
One thought I had on the unburned pellets/incomplete combustion problem is that it very well could be related to the fit of your baffle plate. I had one of my customers call in with a problem on his Sabrina similar to what you are describing (excluding the early shutdown of the exhaust fan). Turns out that he had the baffle plates (the Sabrina has a two piece baffle) installed incorrectly in a way that was choking down the path for the exhaust to pass through the firebox to the exhaust fan chamber. If the airflow through the firepot is disrupted or reduced, this usually will result in poor combustion, with the issues you were describing as a result.

If the baffle plate in your Monia is not fitting correctly, it is possible that the air coming through your firepot is being reduced or flowing incorrectly through the firebox. I would be curious to know if the issues you are experiencing now are resolved once the new baffle plate is installed.

As far as the other problem with the early shutdowns, I would have the dealer double check your parameter settings while they are there installing your new baffle plate. I would also request that your stove be calibrated with a magnahelic gauge to confirm there is proper vacuum present for the different power settings for your stove. Additionally, check the exhaust sensor. Make sure it is seated on the exhaust housing properly and set screw is snug. Lastly, it may be a faulty exhaust sensor if everything else checks out.

Sorry your having problems with response from your dealer, if you were closer I would be happy to help you out- Good luck!

NHMtns, sorry to hear of your issues as we have only heard good about the Piazzettas. What have they done to remedy the pellet back-up and unburned pellets? Have you been in contact with Pacific Energy if the dealer is not addressing the problem?

Finally, if after giving them reasonable time to sort this out, please advise of the dealer so others can avoid them...

We bought the stove from Woodman's in Ossipee, NH. I should have known we would have issues with customer service from the beginning. After the stove was paid for, and I inquired as to when I could expect delivery and installation, we were told that they couldn't install it until after the first of the year! This was October. They failed to mention that when it was purchased. We had it professionally installed by someone else. We started having significant issues almost immediately. Never owning a pellet stove before, we didn't realize just how poorly this stove was performing. We started calling Woodman's last spring after the smoldering pellets in the hopper incident. We were afraid to use it. We turned it off for the season. Started calling back again at the end of summer. They finally returned a call, we made an appointment for them to come and check the stove, for three weeks later. They cancelled the appointment 30 minutes before, and rescheduled, this time two weeks out. Again cancelled the day of the appointment, and yet again it was going to take weeks to come out. We are now into October. At this point I went to the Piazzetta website and left a message. They sent out a representative for the distributor. He serviced the stove and checked the settings. Still the issues continued.
We cannot use the energy saving mode. When we turn it off, we have to stay close by, because as soon as grate cleaning stops the exhaust fan cuts off and we have to turn it back on and then off to get it to cycle again. We repeat this 4 or 5 times until there is no longer smoke in the chamber. It cut off in the middle of the night and caused heavy smoke damage to the house almost two months ago. I contacted the distributor again and they sent someone out. We checked the setting again, most of them were way off. He stressed using super supreme pellets. I found some and we still have all the same issues.

ok so point 1. is fix, and point 2. seems to be adjusted like you said, but there is also one more adjustment that can be done and this one is really going to fix that final issue at the same time (( Also the stove does not burn the pellets to ashwich ))if we could talk would be much simpler for me cause I have a hard time whit my English. do you have Skype, faebook or something that we can talk or video chat. if yes, I would be able to fix your problem on the spot but you would also need a tool like the one on the picture can also be digital

the problem explained example; in mode Power P3 on a monia stove, the combustion fan must be set so that the negative pressure in smoke chamber show 85 pascals or 0,34 WC on the magnehelic tool by default. This is the air going true the grate, if the RPM of the combustion fan is not hi enough it will result in; 1 ash not burn properly then 2 ahs not burn will turn in to a sponge like a little bread or like you say a brownie then 3 when the stove stops the red ash left in the grate will smoke out of the stove as soon as the blower stops and finally 4 sometime when the stove will start back it can result in a pile of pellets half burned and get a message of (( stove did not start )) I just don't remember the exact word cause mine is set in French it says ((dafaux d'allumage))

now what can be done; just like gas carburetor altitude can change air pressure and affect the efficiencies of combustion so whit this information I have tried to make some change on my own stove and find out how to fix all of dose problem by simply raising the RPM of the combustion fan to get +10 pascal on the magnehelic tool and this true all off the level; start phase I, Phase II, power 1,2,3,and 4 after this adjustment ash will burn completely the cleaning task will be only for the ash tray cause the grate should always be clean so when the stove stops there will be no ahs to be red in the grate and smoke the place

if you cant get service from a near by service center then a magnehelic should cost you less then 50$ on the internet then contact me on my facebook Pascal Maertens I will help you set you stove properly please don't try to do it your self that's all what I can offer you and you will finallyView attachment 131210 be an other satisfied Piazzetta customer lol...

Thank you. It's amazing to me that no one here that we have dealt with knows this! They keep trying to blame the issues on the pellets. The dealer sold us hardwood, the first guy said use a mix of hard and soft, and this last guy said only use softwood! They even told my insurance agent that the reason we had smoke damage was because we were burning the wrong pellets! Amazing!

One thought I had on the unburned pellets/incomplete combustion problem is that it very well could be related to the fit of your baffle plate. I had one of my customers call in with a problem on his Sabrina similar to what you are describing (excluding the early shutdown of the exhaust fan). Turns out that he had the baffle plates (the Sabrina has a two piece baffle) installed incorrectly in a way that was choking down the path for the exhaust to pass through the firebox to the exhaust fan chamber. If the airflow through the firepot is disrupted or reduced, this usually will result in poor combustion, with the issues you were describing as a result.

If the baffle plate in your Monia is not fitting correctly, it is possible that the air coming through your firepot is being reduced or flowing incorrectly through the firebox. I would be curious to know if the issues you are experiencing now are resolved once the new baffle plate is installed.

As far as the other problem with the early shutdowns, I would have the dealer double check your parameter settings while they are there installing your new baffle plate. I would also request that your stove be calibrated with a magnahelic gauge to confirm there is proper vacuum present for the different power settings for your stove. Additionally, check the exhaust sensor. Make sure it is seated on the exhaust housing properly and set screw is snug. Lastly, it may be a faulty exhaust sensor if everything else checks out.

Sorry your having problems with response from your dealer, if you were closer I would be happy to help you out- Good luck!

Thank you! You and Pascal seem to know what you're doing!

We cannot use the energy saving mode. When we turn it off, we have to stay close by, because as soon as grate cleaning stops the exhaust fan cuts off and we have to turn it back on and then off to get it to cycle again. We repeat this 4 or 5 times until there is no longer smoke in the chamber. It cut off in the middle of the night and caused heavy smoke damage to the house almost two months ago. I contacted the distributor again and they sent someone out. We checked the setting again, most of them were way off. He stressed using super supreme pellets. I found some and we still have all the same issues.
That's very strange behavior. When the grate cleaning stops, it is supposed to last long enough for all the smoke in the chamber to be gone. I think there's a setting that can be adjusted to make it last longer, but I've never had to change it.

I can't understand how the settings could be "way off", they have to be changed from original, so who would do that besides the installer, or a goof at the factory?

Using Super Premium pellets will mean less fines and less ash, which is great, but how do they think that is causing you smoke issues and partially burned pellet problems? It doesn't make much sense.

[edit]

A dealer installer should have used a magnahelic or manometer to adjust your stove's combustion.

Last edited:
Thank you. It's amazing to me that no one here that we have dealt with knows this! They keep trying to blame the issues on the pellets. The dealer sold us hardwood, the first guy said use a mix of hard and soft, and this last guy said only use softwood! They even told my insurance agent that the reason we had smoke damage was because we were burning the wrong pellets! Amazing!
The mfr recommends softwood, but the Piazzetta will burn both soft and hard, equally well, if it is dialed in correctly. Your dealer is really not doing you any favors, and then to blame you for his incompetence is just inexcusable.

BTW, Pascal and P962 are dealers, so they know what they're talking about. Sadly, not all do.

That's very strange behavior. When the grate cleaning stops, it is supposed to last long enough for all the smoke in the chamber to be gone. I think there's a setting that can be adjusted to make it last longer, but I've never had to change it.

I can't understand how the settings could be "way off", they have to be changed from original, so who would do that besides the installer, or a goof at the factory?

Using Super Premium pellets will mean less fines and less ash, which is great, but how do they think that is causing you smoke issues and partially burned pellet problems? It doesn't make much sense.

You see our frustration! No the pellets we burn are not controlling the exhaust fan, but this is there only response to our concerns.
We were right there when he checked the settings and he had no explanation as to why they were so far off the factory settings. He did increase the grate cleaning time and frequency while running, and lowered the exhaust temp. This didn't make any difference.

You see our frustration! No the pellets we burn are not controlling the exhaust fan, but this is there only response to our concerns.
We were right there when he checked the settings and he had no explanation as to why they were so far off the factory settings. He did increase the grate cleaning time and frequency while running, and lowered the exhaust temp. This didn't make any difference.
Yeah, I'd be frustrated as well.

Increasing the grate cleaning time and frequency make sense. I know I've made those changes and Pascal has recommended them as well. Lowering the exhaust temp, that must be the one set at 109F. That's the temp when the fan shuts off. You can only change that about 6 degrees lower, which might mean that the fan runs for another minute or two.

Looking back at your original complaint, I think P962 may be right, that the exhaust temp probe may not be seated properly or just bad. That could cause early shutdown on the exhaust fan. Lastly, I would do a thorough cleaning of the exhaust vent. There may be blockage causing poor combustion. You have to be sure the stove and vent are clean before making combustion adjustments.

I was thinking a board problem too...

Did any of the reps use a magnehelic on it when they were checking settings?

Yeah, I'd be frustrated as well.

Increasing the grate cleaning time and frequency make sense. I know I've made those changes and Pascal has recommended them as well. Lowering the exhaust temp, that must be the one set at 109F. That's the temp when the fan shuts off. You can only change that about 6 degrees lower, which might mean that the fan runs for another minute or two.

Looking back at your original complaint, I think P962 may be right, that the exhaust temp probe may not be seated properly or just bad. That could cause early shutdown on the exhaust fan. Lastly, I would do a thorough cleaning of the exhaust vent. There may be blockage causing poor combustion. You have to be sure the stove and vent are clean before making combustion adjustments.

The temp for mine is supposed to be set to 113 degrees. I don't remember what he lowered it to. I've been telling them that I felt it was a motherboard/sensor issue for a year now, because it's obviously not working correctly when there are flames or substantial hot coals in the chamber and the fan shuts off. I'm guessing that expensive to replace and they are waiting for my warranty to run out and then suddenly they will come up with the diagnosis. Ugh.

The last rep from the distributor cleaned everything before he fired it up. I don't know if he cleaned the sensor.