Piazzetta Sabrina stove - no ignition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the auger stopping because it is not sensing a raise in exhaust temperature? The Ravelli has an exhaust probe does the Piazzetta have the same?

Have you tried a manual light with some pellets soaked in hand sanitizer or starter gel?

Thanks for the input.

That's possible. There is a flue sensor that will shut things down if there is no temperature rise, but I don't know if it stops the auger. The motor still works, just no pellets - maybe there is a release between the motor and auger that is automatically activated as you say with no temperature rise or maybe a jam (in that case to prevent stripping of the link).

Piazzetta doesn't allow a manual light as everything shuts down when the door is opened, and I had to open the door from time to time to keep the flame active (a catch 22). It would be nice if they had put that into the programming.

Is the auger stopping because it is not sensing a raise in exhaust temperature? The Ravelli has an exhaust probe does the Piazzetta have the same?

Have you tried a manual light with some pellets soaked in hand sanitizer or starter gel?

Bill how old is the stove? Have you discussed any of this with the dealer? If he can't help, have you gone up the chain to regional distributor or Pacific Energy who is the importer?

Have you changed pellet brands? Confirmed the ignitor is the right one for your stove? Confirmed connections are secure (intermittent function makes me wonder)? Checked exhaust probe to ensure it is seated properly? Checked the vacuum tubing to make sure port is clear and tube is intact? If you suck on the tubing of the vac switch, you should get an audible click. Auger will not function if exhaust probe is not reading temp rise or if vacuum pressure falls too low. When were door gaskets changed? Other gaskets are intact? Confirm your safety switches are functioning ... my pellet stove shut down after I loaded the hopper and it turned out it was the hopper microswitch was no longer contacting. Tried reinstalling switch, tried spare switch, turned out it was the lever on the microswitch had to be bent slightly so it would contact. It seems like it must be something little as you can cycle through the cold test of the components.

PS Further on the hopper microswitch, a previous problem was the wire pulled out from the spade connector... why I mentioned checking connections above!

The stove is 2 years old but there has been multiple problems from the beginning so there are only 50 hours of usage. The dealer is in the dark. He said talk to Pacific.

Pacific says try the dealer, and neither would give me a service manual.

Pellets have been the go to brand for everyone in town with no complaints, and they did work for the 50 hours. I could try new pellets but there are other issues unrelated to the pellets so there is no reason to suspect them at this point. I also have 75 bags of them.

The igniter is a piazzetta part. Connections are not only secure I ran a conductivity test and it all checks out. Flue sensor is solidly mounted and I also did a conductivity check on it. And the vacuum tubing, I don't know where that is, nor do I know where the safety switches are. A service manual would have helped. It's new so the door gasket is fine.

If you can tell me where these switches and vacuum tubing are located I will do a test on them as well. The hopper switch I get that and will check.

Thanks for all the info

What it the history of problems? Stove, dealer, or owner error? What has the dealer done to resolve them as he is the one who took the mark-up when he sold you the stove. Pacific Energy will be reluctant to talk with you as they have set up regional distribution and dealers. Have you found out who the regional distributor is from the dealer?

Need to start screaming and may be time to get a lawyer involved as these are not cheap appliances... hopefully you have a paper trail. If not start creating one. If the dealer is that uninformed and not helping, his bad rep needs to get out there too. Did he help you resolve prior issues or did you have to pay?

Smoke sensor is what you are looking for ... usually through a port on the blower or the exhaust venting. Should be able to follow the wiring from the motherboard. Beside the room probe, the only other sensor would be the 85* one which I believe corresponds to the same as my stove and resides on the hopper.

Is there the potential that all these issues are due to failure to upgrade firmware by the dealer?

Smoke sensor is what you are looking for ... usually through a port on the blower or the exhaust venting. Should be able to follow the wiring from the motherboard. Beside the room probe, the only other sensor would be the 85* one which I believe corresponds to the same as my stove and resides on the hopper.

Is there the potential that all these issues are due to failure to upgrade firmware by the dealer?

OK that really helpful. Thanks.

The smoke sensor (I think that's what Piazzetta calls a flue sensor) I found and did do a conductivity check between board and sensor (checked out). Doesn't mean the sensor is good. The thing about these stoves is if something is not working it should show up on diagnostics. I did get a NO CONN which could either have been room or flue sensor (turned out it was the room sensor) and I reset the plug and it worked after that.

I didn't check the hopper sensor. I plan to go in sometime this week and check the auger so I'll check the contacts to the hopper sensor while I'm at it.

Install from dealer turned out to be atrocious.

My first problem was a jammed baffle and I needed a crowbar to unseat it for cleaning. Called dealer and he said he was too busy. I lowered the boom on him and he came out, but his aggressive nature towards me made me consider him mentally unbalanced. I don't want him around my place in any way shape or form.

His install was atrocious. He put heat resistant caulking inside the pipe connections and I had a hell of a time unseating them for cleaning. He left an outside flange off the outside exit pipeand so I had to caulk all the holes that were left behind. Oddly, this guy is the highest level WETT inspector in the area (it's a case of the milk rising to the top I guess).

Because of its location (negative pressure), he should have installed an OAK (I just did that) and he should have used a micromanometer to set things up.

The Foundary (Ontario distributer) is helpful but they are not troubleshooters, and Pacific sends me back to the dealer.

I'm on my own.

What it the history of problems? Stove, dealer, or owner error? What has the dealer done to resolve them as he is the one who took the mark-up when he sold you the stove. Pacific Energy will be reluctant to talk with you as they have set up regional distribution and dealers. Have you found out who the regional distributor is from the dealer?

Need to start screaming and may be time to get a lawyer involved as these are not cheap appliances... hopefully you have a paper trail. If not start creating one. If the dealer is that uninformed and not helping, his bad rep needs to get out there too. Did he help you resolve prior issues or did you have to pay?

This is what the vac switch looks like http://www.eastcoasthearth.com/products/vacuum-pressure-switch-piazetta-pzrp-rg07070050

Should be able to confirm what software version: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/piazzetta-firmware-and-feedrates.119689/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...aning-cycle-in-l1-and-l2.152562/#post-2048694
Apparently you may need to change out the motherboard for the software upgrade. Need to figure out what version you have... Have you had the stove on surge protection? My area in Ontario is horrible for line fluctuations...

I know there was an issue with the cast baffle removal ... remember a post of a "tool" to assist with removal.

Where in Northern Ontario? Any idea who's the next closest dealer? Wondering if the dealer was ticked that you talked to the regional distributor...

Could send a PM to Pascal Maertens to see what his thoughts are... dealer in Quebec

Did you do a set up with a micromanometer? Wondering what the OAK installation would have done to original set-up...

Not sure if it has been asked, have you done the cleaning on the internal exhaust pathways?

May want to consider pulling the auger to check that it is not jammed up with pellet debris.

All great advice and the photos are helpful for sure. Thanks.

I wanted to do everything before looking at firmware. I just reset it now (help from gusto).

As for cleaning, I did all the standard but I haven't taken the rear end guts apart which is what I think you mean, only stuck a vacuum nozzle as far as I could. With only 50 hours of use I'm hoping that's not an issue.

I will confirm the software. I believe it turns up on display with power on. The closest dealer outside of here is Bracebridge. They're helpful but they won't come the distance to Parry Sound.

I will check the auger when I take off the side cover and see what is going on. I might fire it up at that point and watch the inner workings like the auger.

Right now I'm looking for a service manual and if I find one, I'll pass it along unless it's a hard copy, and in that case I can scan pages if someone needs something specific.

Glad to do it. This is a GREAT SITE!!!

(Off Topic - The surge bar I use I really like (APC P11GTV) because it's Surge Arrest (the resetable breaker stops a lightening strike getting to your equipment), not just protection. So the Joules really doesn't really matter here, and unlike most others, it won't feed through unprotected current after damaged or life is spent.

Off topic, but I've done some research here.)

This is what the vac switch looks like http://www.eastcoasthearth.com/products/vacuum-pressure-switch-piazetta-pzrp-rg07070050

Should be able to confirm what software version: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/piazzetta-firmware-and-feedrates.119689/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...aning-cycle-in-l1-and-l2.152562/#post-2048694
Apparently you may need to change out the motherboard for the software upgrade. Need to figure out what version you have... Have you had the stove on surge protection? My area in Ontario is horrible for line fluctuations...

I know there was an issue with the cast baffle removal ... remember a post of a "tool" to assist with removal.

Where in Northern Ontario? Any idea who's the next closest dealer? Wondering if the dealer was ticked that you talked to the regional distributor...

Could send a PM to Pascal Maertens to see what his thoughts are... dealer in Quebec

Just reading another thread from a couple of years ago ... Is this a basement install or main level? What is your venting configuration?

Right now I'm looking for a service manual and if I find one, I'll pass it along unless it's a hard copy, and in that case I can scan pages if someone needs something specific.
Chances are you won't get one ... they're locked down in the dealer's vault:( I'm thinking most dealer's don't get how these run because it is largely code driven from the mother board. Pascal did leave the set-up details to download on the Piazzetta sticky at the top of the pellet mill ...

Off topic... Hubby was born in Parry Sound. His Grandad had the air strip that was on McDougall Road (gravel pit and landfill now I think). Their first house was the last house heading out Haines road and then on the fire route... long ways out. I have MIL's first buck mount from hunting with her Dad there. By the time Hubby's Dad was OPP there in the late 50s/early 60s, their houses were at the corner of McDougall and Haines...long since torn down.

Different brand stove but very similar to the Ravelli auger system ... gives you a run down on motor removal, set screw, etc. starts around 3 minute mark

Hi Lake Girl:

The stove finally fired up. Thanks for all your help!!!

I was able to see the auger (used your idea of a hangar and also I vacuumed remnants around it best I could) and it was working so that narrowed down the issue. For some reason (maybe the reset) the igniter decided to work and everything looks normal.

All the best.

BillX

Reactions: Lake Girl
Small world.

So the landfill was an airstrip. I didn't know about that one.

There was another landing strip along the Magnatewan River, probably dirt. It showed up on the topo map and we think we found the site. No trees of consequence and very flat and very scrubby. I think it was active during the war from what others in the area have said. The culvert over the road to it is enormous, so we thought it must have been prepared for big machinery at the time. In Nobel there was some kind of munitions factory and Avro Arrow seemed to have something going on there.

Hains Rd is not that far from us as the crow flies but quite a jog to get there driving. We're hoping to hit some of the lakes around there next summer. It really heads off into the wilds as you go east. Yeah it is pretty far out. Amazing area for wildlife.

The OPP still handles the area, although there is talk now of a local police force. Not sure where that is going.

"Off topic... Hubby was born in Parry Sound. His Grandad had the air strip that was on McDougall Road (gravel pit and landfill now I think). Their first house was the last house heading out Haines road and then on the fire route... long ways out. I have MIL's first buck mount from hunting with her Dad there. By the time Hubby's Dad was OPP there in the late 50s/early 60s, their houses were at the corner of McDougall and Haines...long since torn down."

Status
Not open for further replies.