Piazzetta Sabrina uses too much pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleksandr

Nov 12, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hello everyone I am new to this forum and new to stoves. I have a Sabrina stove and it works great. But my problem is that I'm using way too much pellets. The manual said I'm supposed to go through a bag of pellets is in 29 hrs. 40lb of 1.3 per hour on P1. And I'm going through a bag in 12hrs. My question is. Is that the normal use or do I have a problem somewhere?? I tried all kinds of pellets, I have a good flame I clean the stove every day. Good exhaust and plenty of fresh air. This is my second year using it and last year I went through 3 tons of pellets.

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and new to stoves. I have a Sabrina stove and it works great. But my problem is that I'm using way too much pellets. The manual said I'm supposed to go through a bag of pellets is in 29 hrs. 40lb of 1.3 per hour on P1. And I'm going through a bag in 12hrs. My question is. Is that the normal use or do I have a problem somewhere?? I tried all kinds of pellets, I have a good flame I clean the stove every day. Good exhaust and plenty of fresh air. This is my second year using it and last year I went through 3 tons of pellets.
Check stove status when running on Level 1 ( Auger , Smoke fan , Temp ) that will be a good starting point

Later

Welcome to the forum! How does this compare to usage last year? Were you using the approximate amount cited in the manual? Was the stove unplugged during the summer or experienced a power outage? It could have done a reset back to factory default and changed how the dealer set it up. Check out the Piazzetta sticky for tips that may help: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/piazzetta-pellets-stove-a-to-z-recommendations.147362/

Hi yes last year it was the same. I called the dealer and told them that I am burning thru a lot more pellets then what it is rated and they were shocked with the amount I was going through. And they called the manufacturer and there only concern way that it's burning right. And the dealer told me he can't help with anything. I would like to know what other people are burning at. How long does a 40 lb bag last.

Is it a Piazzetta or a Ravelli stove? The stove in the picture looks like it has Ravelli printed on the bottom front...

Hi yes last year it was the same. I called the dealer and told them that I am burning thru a lot more pellets then what it is rated and they were shocked with the amount I was going through. And they called the manufacturer and there only concern way that it's burning right. And the dealer told me he can't help with anything. I would like to know what other people are burning at. How long does a 40 lb bag last.
If the stove burns the pellets and no sign of bad combustion means proper air to pellet mixture and all the heat goes to your house .That is why it would be nice to see the stove status at Level 1 .Still 12 hrs for 40 lb bag seems a bit extreme

Later

And buy more pellets :)

If the stove burns the pellets and no sign of bad combustion means proper air to pellet mixture and all the heat goes to your house .That is why it would be nice to see the stove status at Level 1 .Still 12 hrs for 40 lb bag seems a bit extreme

Later

And buy more pellets :)
Yea thanks that is true I will be buying more pellets. So how long does a 40lb bag last you?

Manual should tell you how to check stove status. page 38 http://www.piazzetta.com/files/8413/4990/4395/manual_sabrina_E.pdf

What pellets are you using? Many factors tend to shift the amount used ... temperature you are trying to achieve, temperatures outside, insulation/ values, size of space to heat, btu content of pellets. Not sure what stove parameters take precedence ... exhaust temp, room temp, or power level/auger timing. If trying to achieve a certain room temp in a poorly insulated house on a very cold day, the stove may have to run longer to achieve that room temp with fewer modulating cycles between. Just my take...

Yea thanks that is true I will be buying more pellets. So how long does a 40lb bag last you?
Hard to say ,never really tried . A guy should start with an empty hopper put a full bag and let run until its done,maybe in the next couple days I'll give it a try

Later

IMG_0786.JPG
Manual should tell you how to check stove status. page 38 http://www.piazzetta.com/files/8413/4990/4395/manual_sabrina_E.pdf

What pellets are you using? Many factors tend to shift the amount used ... temperature you are trying to achieve, temperatures outside, insulation/ values, size of space to heat, btu content of pellets. Not sure what stove parameters take precedence ... exhaust temp, room temp, or power level/auger timing. If trying to achieve a certain room temp in a poorly insulated house on a very cold day, the stove may have to run longer to achieve that room temp with fewer modulating cycles between. Just my take...

These are the pellets I use. I used a lot of other brands but these produce the most heat and they are local so a bit better on price. Now my house is well insulated. No I would set the temp to 67 and it would go up to 69 and stay there. But last night I ran it on p3 and put it for 70 and it actually used less pellets then on p1. But still that hole bag was gone over night. The pellet stove get fresh air from outside and the exhost is working properly. I'm just very unhappy that the specs and not what they are.

Well,just have to reply.I think the pellets you are using are very good,even though they are hardwood.You have a high quality stove.Appears it is burning clean.How large is your house?What floor/level is the stove on?Does your house get southern sun?What is the "break point" of your house,that the heat input(stove/ furnace) has to work its butt of to keep a high temp?My little cabin does very well at 65-68 degrees,until it gets below 15,then have to burn more pellets.# tons a year is not bad at all,give us some more info,please.

When testing is done with these stoves, they usually use the best pellet (highest btu) they can acquire and will control all other variables for optimal performance. That doesn't reflect the real world use though. I find my Italian stove tends to perform better with softwood pellets compared to hardwood. Softwoods are usually a higher btu (my Spruce Pointes are 8700 btu/lb) so will produce more heat per bag. They also have a higher price tag so there is the trade-off.

Well,just have to reply.I think the pellets you are using are very good,even though they are hardwood.You have a high quality stove.Appears it is burning clean.How large is your house?What floor/level is the stove on?Does your house get southern sun?What is the "break point" of your house,that the heat input(stove/ furnace) has to work its butt of to keep a high temp?My little cabin does very well at 65-68 degrees,until it gets below 15,then have to burn more pellets.# tons a year is not bad at all,give us some more info,please.
My house as a 3 bedroom 1 floor house with a full basement and I have my exhaust hooked up to the chimney and a 2" pipe comes in from outside for fresh air in to the intake. Is does not take long for it to heat up the house usually in a hour or 2 it's up to temp. It's in the basement and I have a 8 inch pipe that is in front of it and the pellet stove just pushes the air up. So over all the stove keeps up fine with heating the house.

How many sq. ft? If you look at the specs it states 650 to 2200 for heat capacity. You can bet that the original testing on pellet usage would be the low end of sq. ft. and not likely extremes of temperature. The manufacturers rarely (if ever) give much information on how they calculate pellet usage.

Since you are diverting heat to another area, it will take longer to reach set temperature so will burn more pellets. The one advantage of a basement install is that you will usually have a better insulating factor in the basement over the winter so less heat loss from that area.

My house is 1000sq plus the basement wich it about 700. And I alway put the temperature lower then it is and it still rises. So for example the room temp is set for 65 and the current temp is 67. And I checked the stove status at these temp the auger is loading 3.3 is that right?

3 tons for a season doesn't sound bad at all, what side of PA?
If you burn a bag in 12 hours then 3 tons would only be 75 days... that doesnt sound right at all unless you really only heated with the pellet stove for 2.5 months?

My house is 1000sq plus the basement wich it about 700. And I alway put the temperature lower then it is and it still rises. So for example the room temp is set for 65 and the current temp is 67. And I checked the stove status at these temp the auger is loading 3.3 is that right?

Are you sure you don't have a temp swing adjustment on your stove, On my Ravelli there is an adjustment for temp swing above set temp and a duration adjustment for how long to keep burning after temp is reached.

Sounds correct 3.3 is the factory setting

3 tons for a season doesn't sound bad at all, what side of PA?
If you burn a bag in 12 hours then 3 tons would only be 75 days... that doesnt sound right at all unless you really only heated with the pellet stove for 2.5 months?
Lancaster are. I also have a heat pump that I use if the temp is above 40 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.