Piazzetta Sveva Install Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EastMtn

Burning Hunk
May 19, 2013
The stove arrived yesterday evening and nearly made me late for work waiting. The freight truck driver was leery about driving the narrow roads to my house so I met him at a nearby petrol station where, after inspecting it, he helped me load the stove into my vehicle.

Dealer: Rettinger Fireplace in NJ. I highly recommend Angie. She provides and excellent service
Installer: CBS Chimney Sweepers. Not only are the willing to come to the east mountains outside Albuquerque but they have a 'we'll work on any stove attitude.'
Piazzetta Parts provider and Selkirk DT master: Don2222. He's put up with my noob questions offline and still managed to keep his cool.
2400sq ft. ranch style house with flat roof and radiant heat. My intention is to focus on heating the main living space and master bedroom.
Install date: 06.24.13
Heat input BTU 47081
Pellet consumption per hour lb/h 1.35 to 5.7
Overall efficiency % 87.7
Rated current during ignition A 3.0
Fuel tank capacity lb 66
Weight with cladding lb 419
Programmable control panel
Remote control also included

I'll give updates as things progress. Stove without Majolica Panels shown below.

Unveiling.jpgSVEVA In Vehicle.jpgSVEVA Without Cladding.jpgAuger Motor.jpgRoom Fan.jpgSveva fire box.jpg

Attachments

• Driveway.jpg
    Driveway.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 268
Nice Pics

Looks like you are off to a good start!

3-2in 2.5-2in exhaust reducers came in the mail today. I went to Autozone and found a 2 in ID to 1 13/16 in OD connector that fit perfectly for the combustion air intake.
Also went to a mercantile and bought a bag each of what they had to offer. These seem to be the only brands that Central NM has to offer with the exception of Flagstaff, AZ brand and whatever HD will have come fall. Although Tiny T's and Calientitos are from the same mill, Calientitos is from sawmill wood soft and hardwood blend whereas Tiny T's is recycled urban waste wood.
Tiny T's is supposed to be a more unpredictabe pellet with typically crunchier ash. Lignetics $6.89, Calientitos $4.99, Tiny T's $4.49

2in ID 1 3-16OD pipe.jpg2in to 3in ebay.jpgOAK connection.jpgControl Board.jpgControl Panel.jpgABQ Selection.jpgLignetics.jpg

Good work on the Oak adapter!. You can use high temp silicone to RTV the OAK adapters together. Since the air intake is not critical, I would not RTV the OAK adapter to the stove so it can be easily removed to service the stove.

Reactions: EastMtn
Looking good... I went with Don for my Selkirk DT venting also.

Looking forward to install pics, here is my subscription to this thread.

After seeing the Grintch's post: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/the-day-i-have-been-waiting-for.110501/#post-1460834 I was itching to move up the time table. That's a really nice install and a workhorse of a stove Grintch.

I bought a Morso steel hearthpad, brought the stove in the house and put Sveva's clothes on (cladding). She looked neglected in the garage. I rate work difficulty by the number of beers consumed to finish. This was a 1 beer job. There's a gap in the rear on both sides between the majolica and steel. I tried to close the gap after leveling the unit but unfortunately the cladding sits on a welded steel bottom and I couldn't bend the steel very much without risking the weld's integrity. Actually I was being a chicken and didn't want to ruin a good thing. I'll square everything up once the pipe is installed.
Install date moved up to 6/18.

136.jpg150.JPG149.JPG137.jpg129.jpg

Pretty, I like red!

It should heat alot of space in that open concept home!

Your stove sure is a beauty - same color as my Ecoteck Elena :cool: What's your elevation and what kind of low temps do you get in the winter? We have more extremes (usually 1-2 weeks around -30) with bedrooms being about 8 degrees cooler so you should have it easier. Ceiling fans for air circulation will help! Welcome to the group:)

Your stove sure is a beauty - same color as my Ecoteck Elena :cool: What's your elevation and what kind of low temps do you get in the winter? We have more extremes (usually 1-2 weeks around -30) with bedrooms being about 8 degrees cooler so you should have it easier. Ceiling fans for air circulation will help! Welcome to the group:)
Thanks Lake Girl. I'm at 7500ft (2286M). We do get down to -10 in the winter months but average lows in the teens and highs in the 40's. I have ceiling fans in each room, and from reading the posts on this site, it helps to run them in reverse. Have you had to replace any parts on your Elena? If so, may I ask what parts?

The pellet gods are weeping. My install has been pushed back to 6/25. The supplier in Canada didn't have any vacuum cleanout tees in stock and had to manufacture one. Will ship out tomorrow. Everything is here but the tee. Don, I should have gone with your setup but the installer felt more comfortable ordering the parts himself having never installed DT before. That's a one beer deduction for not going with my gut.
I did acquire a SMT1500 APS UPS back up new in the box for $268. Newegg had it for $479. Regular Price $600.

APC SMT1500.jpg

The day has arrived but not without it's challenges. I plugged the stove in last night to make sure I got indication and to my dismay NO LIGHTS. I got out the multimeter and started tracing voltage and doing continuity tests and 120V went into the control board but that's where it stopped. Fuses all tested good. This is where the awesomeness of a good dealer kicks in. After speaking with Don on hearth and Rettinger Fireplace we determined that the control board was bad. No Muss no fuss, not even an attempt at a hassle. Rettinger convinced the manufacturer to supply a new control board.

While I won't get to burn trees and blow smoke today the show must go on. Pics of the install in progress below. Always nice to get verification that the roofer performed the job to the specs that they quoted you.
1. Direct Temp adapter, cleanout tee with a couple of muffler increasers for the OAK to go from 2 in to 3 in.
2. 3" ISO board approximately R-16
3. Hole for through roof install showing Pueblo style flat roof with depth to top of insulation.
Cleanout Tee.jpgISO board.jpgRoof depth.jpg

Installer went with cathedral ceiling support over the flat roof ceiling support. They liked the sturdiness of the cathedral more. Pic below shows how narrow they cut the hole. They worked the box in for an exacting fit before buttoning it up.
Ceiling support.jpgCeiling Support Box.jpg

Getting the pipe centered and installing the middle sections of pipe here. Boards were used to support the weight of the tee and all sections so that 3 self tapping screws could be installed and the roof flashing stable.

Union Tee Suppported2.jpgUnion Tee Supported.jpg

Looking good..... Gonna be a nice set up with Selkirk DT :)

Thanks Dexter. Taking longer than I thought but they're doing a great job. Would've taken me at least a week minus the countless trips to HD. !!!

Reactions: DexterDay
Good work, That DT is awesome!

Pics of the roof termination. Went up 36" because of the amount of snow the parapets accumulate.
Roof Termination.jpgOak and Flue.jpgStorm Collar.jpg

Good work, That DT is awesome!

DT is awesome for a through the roof install. This was the first time these installers had ever installed Selkirk. They said it took longer only because it was the first time with this product. But overall they were very pleased with how it came together and didn't run into any problems. They really liked the gaskets on each inner seam and how the pipes connected.
Vacuum Tee installed.jpg

Reactions: DexterDay
It Works!!!
Just before the guys were ready to pack up and leave we tried the power again and the stove lights came on. Operation Fire starter is a go. Install complete.

Indian fire.jpgControl panel Lit.jpgIgniter Lit.jpgSveva Installed 6.2513.jpgClose Up.jpg

It Works!!!
Just before the guys were ready to pack up and leave we tried the power again and the stove lights came on. Operation Fire starter is a go. Install complete.

Good Show!

Did you paint the Selkirk DT black or did you buy all black? Looks real pretty!

Nice Fire!! Welcome to the Club ;)
Thanks do I get my secret decoder ring now, or does this just place me on the Pellet Pirate's watch list?

Good Show!

Did you paint the Selkirk DT black or did you buy all black? Looks real pretty!
The straight lengths came in black but the paint was chipped during shipping so the guys repainted everything in the morning so it would match. They did not use any support straps because they felt the cathedral support mounted on the rafter and the 6" screws in the roof would take the majority of the weight. Should I put a couple on at the tee and midway up? the pipe is 8" from the wall
I can't even hear the room blower. I only know it's on because I feel the rush of air. Surface temperatures below.
1. Ceramic Cladding
2. Stove Pipe
3. Glass door
4. Fresh air intake
Ceramic Temp.jpgPipe Temp.jpgGlass Door Temp.jpgOAK Temp.jpg

looking good. the surge protector police will be along shortly to remind you of the dangers of not using one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.