Picked up a Hearthstone Heritage...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeT509

Feb 20, 2016
SW Wisconsin
Thought I would share that I picked up a Hearthstone Heritage off of Craigslist for $1100 along with some double wall pipe. Everything appears to be intact and in good working order. It was originally purchased in 2005 and had the rear heat shield installed. This will be replacing my 1984 model Jotul #3.
We were able to truck it out of the original owners house with an appliance cart and a sheet of plywood under all 4 legs. From the deck outside the house we set it in the bucket of a skid steer where it was then plopped right on my trailer. A very loyal friend and myself were able to get it back off the trailer and into the house in spite of the pouring rain, next steps will be getting it up on the hearth and re-installing some pipe.

How do you guys think I did?

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 323
Reactions: heavy hammer
Looks great, bet you will cut your wood usage down to.

Nice find!
Have you looked it over real good for any cracks? The lower side and lower back stones are prone to hairline cracks. Not a biggie, just keep an eye on them.

My 05 is pretty solid after 10 years of pretty heavy use. The stone in those is much more marbled looking than the newer ones. That one looks very pretty! If you replace the gaskets, make sure you get the right density...maybe even suck it up and get the kit from HS. I also use hi temp grease on the hinge pins and latch areas on mine. If it did not come with a manual, they still have them available on their site. Happy heating!!

My 05 is pretty solid after 10 years of pretty heavy use. The stone in those is much more marbled looking than the newer ones. That one looks very pretty! If you replace the gaskets, make sure you get the right density...maybe even suck it up and get the kit from HS. I also use hi temp grease on the hinge pins and latch areas on mine. If it did not come with a manual, they still have them available on their site. Happy heating!!

That's what this one is, a 2005. Or at least thats the year that's written on the original owners manual they gave me as well. I'll try to post some better pictures soon.

It may have a metal build plate on the back tucked in between the lower frame rail and back right stone. That will have the manufacture date on it. but it really does not matter. They did not change anything major until the 8022.

Nice looking stove should work out great for you. Love the look of the soapstone, nice pickup.

I looked for a build plate but I'm guessing its completely obscured by the rear heat shield. I may take that off to try and snap a picture of it since once the stove is in place it will be difficult to access. I'm hoping to get the stove set into place sometime this weekend. In the meantime, here's a few more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 270
I hope you really like your stove. We really enjoy our Heritage. We get about 90% of our heat with our stove. When I use dry oak and maple, I have coals burning for 12 hours or more. Your stove looks really nice. Ours is burning right now......

Used one in my former home. A very large 1850's farmhouse. Did a nice job heating a couple of main rooms and the bedroom directly above it up the stairway. It was a great stove; looked just like this one. Kept coals hot overnight.

On my Homestead, which is a smaller version of your stove, there is a metal tag with the model information attached to the heat shield with a small steel cable.

edit: The metal tag is huge and always getting in the way. Any sane person would cut it off and put it with the paperwork that came with the stove. I guess I am not that smart yet. If it's missing from your stove, that's probably what happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.