Picked Up A Iron & Oak this evening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elderthewelder

Minister of Fire
Picked me up a Iron & Oak 22Ton splitter this evening off C/L, has the Honda 5.5 GX160 on it, real quite. Unit appears to be in real good condition, brought a knarley round of maple with me to test it out, and it went through it like butter, guy was asking $950 for it, did not bother haggling with him as i know the go for around $2K new

Unit is still in the back of my flatbed, got home about a hour ago and have not unloaded it yet

Here is a site selling them new for $2K, other sites have them higher
http://www.woodsplittersdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_63&products_id=210

Nice score. Half off and just as useful as new is a good thing.

Those are supposed to be well-built and solid.
'bert, I'm not sure I agree on the classy thing--unless somebody's selling a Picasso for $5, the point is to get rid of something to make a little money. I'da thrown out $900 cash--don't ya think most people bump the price up a bit knowing this?

Although, on another thread elsewhere somebody was bragging about a deal he had gotten and called the seller an 'idiot' etc. for not 'knowing what he had.' I took offense to that, so maybe you're right.

Oh, ethics, why must you taunt me so?

S

I rented an Iron & Oak splitter earlier this year and it was built like a tank. Good score.

Elder, check out Iron and Oak's website. They issued a re-call on the cylinder. If yours is on the list, let them know and they'll send you a replacement, with pre-paid shipping for the return of the existing cylinder. I bought mine used and it wasn't an issue at all. Very nice people to deal with. Good splitter, you'll really enjoy it.

Elderthewelder said:
Picked me up a Iron & Oak 22Ton splitter this evening off C/L, has the Honda 5.5 GX160 on it, real quite. Unit appears to be in real good condition, brought a knarley round of maple with me to test it out, and it went through it like butter, guy was asking $950 for it, did not bother haggling with him as i know the go for around $2K new

Unit is still in the back of my flatbed, got home about a hour ago and have not unloaded it yet

Here is a site selling them new for $2K, other sites have them higher
http://www.woodsplittersdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_63&products_id=210

Great pickup, you have to love it when Christmas comes early. What do the women say when they come home from shopping when they have sales, I saved money HONEY!

zap

You will love that Iron @ Oak splitter, We bought one about 15 years ago with a brigs engine,which still runs great. The only problem I have ever had was a neighbor who borrowed it one day while I was at work , who was drunk (less sober than usual) and bent the log dislodger that attaches to the ram.Other than him the only replacement parts have been a return line on the hydraulics and filters.

thinkxingu said:
Those are supposed to be well-built and solid.
'bert, I'm not sure I agree on the classy thing--unless somebody's selling a Picasso for $5, the point is to get rid of something to make a little money. I'da thrown out $900 cash--don't ya think most people bump the price up a bit knowing this?

Although, on another thread elsewhere somebody was bragging about a deal he had gotten and called the seller an 'idiot' etc. for not 'knowing what he had.' I took offense to that, so maybe you're right.

Oh, ethics, why must you taunt me so?

S

well I am always one to haggle, however in this particular case the seller listed it in a time when we in western Wa were experiancing a fridgig cold snap that brought snow and ice to the roads, I told him i was really intereseted in the spliter but was having problems driving to his area 45 miles away, highways were a mess, he said he had about 5 people with the same story (which i believe)any way we kept in touch for a day and a half and I could not get to him and people were emailing him with offers, i offered him full price if he would hold it till I got there later in the evening and could do a operational check on it, anyway long story short, was not worth the $50 to $100 dollar haggle at the time, was quite the adventure in my 2wd flatbed to make the 90 mile trip

Beetle-Kill said:
Elder, check out Iron and Oak's website. They issued a re-call on the cylinder. If yours is on the list, let them know and they'll send you a replacement, with pre-paid shipping for the return of the existing cylinder. I bought mine used and it wasn't an issue at all. Very nice people to deal with. Good splitter, you'll really enjoy it.

Thanks for the info Beetle, i am looking into the specifics of the recall, however a quick look at the splitter shows no model/serial number on the hyd tank and no number/letter markings on the cylinder as shown on website. i emailed them this info

Elder, so the guy held it for you? In that case, I completely understand--especially where Craigslist people are often jerk face heads. Good for you that it worked out. Enjoy!

S

Sounds like a great score! Congratulations. I hope the roads are cleared by now.

I don't understand jlove. Just 5 hours ago you were stating you wanted a different one.

In this thread

Are you sure of what you want?

yes. I want a cheap one for the rest of this year :) and I want a high quality one for the rest of my wood-burning career ;)

Put it like this, if I can't get it dirt cheap, and repower I am gonna buy a new one w/ the tax return. I have two splitters at my disposal right now if I want to borrow them.
None of the cheap ones on Craigslist is panning out. If you don't post a contact phone number, then why bother listing anything for sale?
And I found out that Brave and Iron and Oak is the same manufacturer.

The I&Os; are built a little more sturdy for the same tonnage splitter. And I like the blue color better :)

But I am still checking out some used ones. I plan on buying one after the first of the year, probably springtime (after burning season is over)

Not a bad way to go jlove but if you plan on buying a new one I wouldn't bother with buying an old one now. You can always borrow that other one maybe one more time to get you through rather than throwing more dollars at it. Good luck however you go.

it all depends on the cash. I have a brand new engine in the box with a warranty from HF tools. It's a honda clone 6.5hp, and the online reviews (by go-kart racers who are hard on engines) are very good.
I think I have about $75 in it with tax.

So, if I can find a splitter that needs a quick repower for under $500, I am good to go. Plus I would have something to sell to finance a new one....
I am a pretty much a small engine/motorcycle mechanic part time, so I can judge whether or not something is a good value or a money pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.