Picked up a new Defiant....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewoodjunky

Sep 18, 2010
Central/Western MA
So after much research I decided to replace my Encore 2550 with the Defiant FlexBurn. The 3.2 cubic foot fully usuable firebox was just too hard to resist :) The stove also had to be rear vent, no room for a top vent in my fireplace insert location.

The F600 was going to be the stove but it stands too high for my lintel, so that one was out. The F500 was only a smidgen larger than the 2550 and I figured if I was going to spend money I may as well get more firebox, so the F500 was out.

I know everyone here buys Woodstock but I don't like the looks of them, so they were out.

I looked at the new Hearthstone, nice stove, 2.9 cubic foot firebox, just wasn't compelling enough to offset the 10% less firebox of the VC, or the VC's looks.

The NC-30, great price, great specs, great stove, just not the looks that I needed.

Now I am not a stove newbie and I have read the horror stories of the NeverBurn system and I have personally seen the underengineered materials in the 2550, so I am not going into this blind any means.

We'll see how this VC holds up. I burn 24/7 from Septemberish to Aprilish, so I may be a good guinea pig. I also have grown up with wood stoves and currently have over 12 cords cut, stacked and spilt, so there should be no unseasoned wood issues when it comes to BTU production, burn times and overall user experience.

I'll provide pics when it gets here on September 6 and I will provide a yearly update as to it's operation.

Sounds good, congratulations...now all hail VC.....

So after much research I decided to replace my Encore 2550 with the Defiant FlexBurn. The 3.2 cubic foot fully usuable firebox was just too hard to resist :) The stove also had to be rear vent, no room for a top vent in my fireplace insert location.

The F600 was going to be the stove but it stands too high for my lintel, so that one was out. The F500 was only a smidgen larger than the 2550 and I figured if I was going to spend money I may as well get more firebox, so the F500 was out.

I know everyone here buys Woodstock but I don't like the looks of them, so they were out.

I looked at the new Hearthstone, nice stove, 2.9 cubic foot firebox, just wasn't compelling enough to offset the 10% less firebox of the VC, or the VC's looks.

The NC-30, great price, great specs, great stove, just not the looks that I needed.

Now I am not a stove newbie and I have read the horror stories of the NeverBurn system and I have personally seen the underengineered materials in the 2550, so I am not going into this blind any means.

We'll see how this VC holds up. I burn 24/7 from Septemberish to Aprilish, so I may be a good guinea pig. I also have grown up with wood stoves and currently have over 12 cords cut, stacked and spilt, so there should be no unseasoned wood issues when it comes to BTU production, burn times and overall user experience.

I'll provide pics when it gets here on September 6 and I will provide a yearly update as to it's operation.

Congrats. I agree they are great looking stoves. I decided in the end to go with a Progress Hybrid. But please keep us posted and let us know how it works out. I liked the burgundy color.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Looking forward to hearing how the new stove turns out.....

Old thread, I know - But could you give is an update on how you liked this stove last winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.