Picked Up A New Splitter Yesterday!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
I am eyeballing that same splitter. Jealous of your purchase. You didn't say which engine but I see no need to buy an upgrade on teh engine when the briggs is so good these days.

Oh, and I always split vertical while kneeling. I roll a hlaf dozen rounds to the splitter and chop them up, throw them to the right, grab a new round from the left.

I do not agree that hand splitting is faster unless, a big unless, the rounds are small and clear. We have knots in our wood that mean several maul swings per split vs. a single hydro stroke.
Gota agree with that unless, a small unless, the hydraulic splitter is small and weak. It ain't worth the bother if you end up haveing to split them my hand anyway after several tries with the hydraulic splitter and it just can't do it.
Nice to read these forum reports to know which ones are worth the money.

I would have got a Huskee. If I'd found one cheaper. None here in Alaska.
AIH had the speeco, which is the huskee, with a honda, a reconditioned one. $1400. (take away the $400 shipping & am in the ball park)
Shipping to Alaska is the killer (around $400 for splitters when I was looking). We need a TSC up here.
Lowes had the troybuilt but not really a troybuilt (I think ytd now) but were higher priced . The way the ram was mounted gave me some concern
HD had some pretty flimsy looking ones. A couple even had a belt drive to the pump (more to go wrong IMO)

Speeco just looked heavier duty built to me & I liked the cradle beam. (the 2 winning points that sold me with the ones I had to choose from)

Status
Not open for further replies.