Picked Up A Splitter on CL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank625

Burning Hunk
I have been watching craigslist for a couple years looking for a descent splitter. This is a home made splitter with a 5.5 HP Honda Motor and the main beam is made using a railroad track. Splitting is a pleasure now and I will finally be able to get ahead with a couple years of wood. I paid $500 for it and I am very happy with it so far. It's easily handled every round, even the stack of tough ones I have been saving for the past couple years it blew right through. I am not sure what the rating is on the hydraulic system but it seems to handle what ever I throw at it. Starts on the first pull usually and runs pretty quiet too.

Attachments

• 2014-09-01 13.51.53.jpg
    2014-09-01 13.51.53.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 268
  • 2014-09-01 13.52.03.jpg
    2014-09-01 13.52.03.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 243
If you are really interested in tonnage rating you could easily figure it out by adding a gauge and doing the math. By looks, it appears to have ~3.5 inch cylinder. At typical splitter pressures it would probably be considered a 12-15 ton unit.

Lookin' good, but shouldn't that treestand be in the woods somewhere? ;)

Lookin' good, but shouldn't that treestand be in the woods somewhere? ;)

We had that tract of land logged where it was setup last year. I mostly use hangons or my climber. The doubles and singles with ladders are for my Dad and they are easier to get into for him now. Our bow season starts here next Saturday. Stands are already in place for sometime now, picked up a couple descent bucks on camera but this isn't like Pennsylvania hunting. Big deer are very rare here.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.