Picked up my first Ton today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtunes

Mar 7, 2012
Southern NH
We had our pellet stove installed last year so I tried several brands without pulling the trigger on a full ton. This year I had the following options:

HD/Lowes: Inferno's/Nation's Choice $209. Burned a few inferno's last year and wasn't impressed. Didn't have any problems, but heat output wasn't there and found some clinkers of dubious composition. PASS

Local Dealer: Logik-e $309 for 1.1 ton ($278/ton), Maine Woods Pellet(hard) $259, Barefoot(hard) $294. McFeeters $279/Okies $299 both on back order. $35-40 delivery charge

Ace: Lignetics(hard/green lettering) $279

I went with the Lignetics for $279. Didn't even consider Infernos/NC regardless of price. I would have gotten McFeeters if they were in stock, had good luck with them(on par w/ okies IMO, smelt way better). Also Ace is the closest.

I dared to pick them up myself to save some cash, ACE was the only place close enough for me to attempt this. No small task considering we own two very small cars, a Yaris and Mazda3. I filled both once, ran home unloaded my Mazda(the "big" car hehe) and went back for the rest. The guys at ACE were very accommodating in my joke of a delivery plan. Start to finish including stacking < 3 hours, not bad at all.

Nothing compared to you pigs, but a milestone for me. Buying by the bag is way too pricey, but getting a ton seemed a bit daunting in the past. Good to know I can swing it easily enough. Now I just have to work on my stacking skills, though I was in a rush not to waste my son's nap time stacking pellets so I was under the gun :)

Attachments

• IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 250
well, at least you are attempting to stack appropriately. I only have one pallet that currently holds 8 eights each of 5 different types so they are all stacked directly on top of each other. The other 20 bags are also stacked directly on top of each other in two ten bag stacks on the lip of the fireplace! Lowes charged me $12 for the first pallet.

well, at least you are attempting to stack appropriately. I only have one pallet that currently holds 8 eights each of 5 different types so they are all stacked directly on top of each other. The other 20 bags are also stacked directly on top of each other in two ten bag stacks on the lip of the fireplace! Lowes charged me $12 for the first pallet.

You'll be getting 2 pallets when you get your MWP softies delivered, but the question is, what do you stack the first ton on?!!!

You'll be getting 2 pallets when you get your MWP softies delivered, but the question is, what do you stack the first ton on?!!!
EXCELLENT question! But I think I will follow your suggestion and contact Sibs and see if they might deliver a spare pallet when they deliver my 2 ton softies. I was thinking I might also hit up HD for one. Maybe if I use logic that since if I bought a full ton at once I'd get a pallet, shouldn't i also get a 'free' pallet for buying a ton within four days? Of course I still have to pick up the other 20 bags......

I was thinking I might also hit up HD for one. Maybe if I use logic that since if I bought a full ton at once I'd get a pallet, shouldn't i also get a 'free' pallet for buying a ton within four days? Of course I still have to pick up the other 20 bags......

Very good idea. Have all your receipts? Throw them down and demand one.

Melisa,
Almost any industrial complex will have business in it that throw out their old pallets.
If you have an office park near you you could drive around and ask.
Most places are happy to get rid of them.
Also try trucking companys. And furniture retailers.

At my old office we use to stack the extra pallets next to the dumpster. Throw one or two in a week to get rid of them.

Or you could build one yourself for the cost of 1 12' 2x4 and 3 10''x3/4"x8' "spring board"
Cut the 2x4 into 3 4' lengths. Attach the spring board to the top with nails or screws.
Flip the thing over and attach a few spring board sections to the bottom.
Shouldn't cost you more than about $10. And build it in about 15 minutes.
A pallet is not really 4'x4' but I don't have the exact measurement here right now.
Its something like 39"x44" (rough guess)

If you can find a 4'x4' section of 1/2" plywood it makes a good top to the pallet as well.
Or you can use a 4'x4' sheet of cardboard. It helps keep the bottom most bags of the stack up from getting torn.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

When we got our first ever pellet delivery this past Feb.,{2 ton delivery} I asked them to bring an extra pallet//// Do call SIB to bring an extra empty pallet when they deliver to you,I am sure they will....Cant believe Lowes charged you 12 bucks for one......

Dtunes,
I feel the same about the Mcfeeters. Very nice pellet.

Dtunes,
I feel the same about the Mcfeeters. Very nice pellet.
Yeah, I was impressed last time I burnt them. I might pick up a ton later when it's stocked. Seems like the local pellet dealer's prices go up every time I refresh their website, I didn't want to wait too long.

When we got our first ever pellet delivery this past Feb.,{2 ton delivery} I asked them to bring an extra pallet//// Do call SIB to bring an extra empty pallet when they deliver to you,I am sure they will....Cant believe Lowes charged you 12 bucks for one......

almost everyone charges for the pallet...i know when we get pallets of block and morter at work theres always a 10-15 dollar
charge for the pallet

i just cheat and stack mine on the floor

almost everyone charges for the pallet...i know when we get pallets of block and morter at work theres always a 10-15 dollar
charge for the pallet

i just cheat and stack mine on the floor

The block and mortar guys will (or should) take the pallets back and credit your account the next time they deliver. Hopefully you are not stacking your pellets on a concrete floor.

The block and mortar guys will (or should) take the pallets back and credit your account the next time they deliver. Hopefully you are not stacking your pellets on a concrete floor.

i am....why ?

i am....why ?

Depending on the temperature, humidity and the temperature fluctuation in whatever place/room you are storing them if they are right on the concrete you could end up with some condensation/moisture in the bottom bags.

i am....why ?

Cool damp concrete in a basement can cause condensation. All pellet bags have small holes in them. The pellets may not appear wet, but the M/C may be raised. A higher M/C means less BTU. IMO.

To the OP-Dtunes- Thats making do, with what you have! I like it. The Green labels ligs are a good pellet. Around here they are normally in the $190-$220/ton range. I still cant wrap my head around those New England prices!!!

BTW- Thats a good stacking job. IMO

Kudos to HD! When I asked for 15 more bags of pellets I explained that with this purchase I would have 45 bags and could I please have a pallet. Service desk checked with management who OK'd giving me a pallet.

My stash is in my basement that, when it rains, does leak. Pallets are an absolute necessity for me. This time, for the placement of this pallet, i opened up 2 large plastic garbage bags and placed them on the pallet before stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.