Picked Up Some Stove Chow At HD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
I picked up 2 ton of stove chow at Home Depot in the Pittsburgh Pa area for $ 197 a ton. With my $25 off coupon it came to $184.50 a ton. Just bought the Englander Pellet stove last Feb/March. Haven't used it much and this is all new to me. I have been burning wood for a long time and will still be using my Blaze King upstairs and the Pellet Stove downstairs in the basement to supplement and keep the basement warm.

The Stove Chow are a very decent pellet, especially at that price.

Question: is the basement fully finished & insulated?

The basement is not finished and it is below ground. Just use the stove down there to keep it comfortable when the kids are down there playing.

My work holiday for New Years day this year was this past Monday. On my day off, I drove around locally to pellet dealers to see what was out there to try. I don't need any to get thru the year, but wanted to try some pellets I never burned before. On my journey, I found Stove Chow at my local Home Depot. I have never burned these before but have read alot of other peoples comments in this forum. From past comments, they seemed like a not so hot burning pellet ( shoulder pellet). I didn't tri them till last night because it was cold here early in the week. The last few days have been unseasonly warm. We had 60 degrees yesterday & last night, I didn't get below 38 degrees. I saw the weather man calling for this & thru in the Stove Chow last night. They were/are a good shoulder pellet for me. I woke this morning with it about 80 degrees living room of the house. Our bedroom is clear at the other end of the house, don't know what the temp was back ther, but I can tell you, I slept on top the covers all night. Also for my, when I looked thru glass into burn pot, WOW, not alot of ash either. JMO, they really seemed to burn good, little ash & the heat was right for a shoulder pellet. I wouldn't burn these on a single digit night, but I was really impressed for the 1st time burning them.

Just wondering at what point it really makes a difference between a shoulder pellet and a premium "hot" pellet. The only time I can see where it makes a difference is if you running your stove on high and it can't keep up. Yea run time might be longer but if there is a $1.50 a bag difference seems to be about 37% more expensive. Is there 37% more heat or more in a bag of "hot" pellets?

DBCOOPER said:
Just wondering at what point it really makes a difference between a shoulder pellet and a premium "hot" pellet. The only time I can see where it makes a difference is if you running your stove on high and it can't keep up. Yea run time might be longer but if there is a $1.50 a bag difference seems to be about 37% more expensive. Is there 37% more heat or more in a bag of "hot" pellets?

Thats what I can't figure out. I have limited experienced, got a ton of Geneva's for my new Lopi and it runs great, but seems to produce a lot of ash, as others have noted. I thought the Genevas were burning a little quickly as I need to keep the air intake throttled down to 30% or less below halfway on the feed speed or it burns out. I thought it may be the pellets but I tried several bags of Green Supremes with the same results. They burn the same as the Genevas. Just had a couple nights in the single digits and the stove was not turned all the way up.... So I'm not worrying about it. More heat=turn up stove, less heat=turn down stove. Adjust air to tune the burn. Thats what the dealer advised and it works. Unless the stove cannot keep up the concept of a shoulder pellet is lost on me. RT

I posted earlier today on Stove Chow earlier this morning, and I'm really impressed. I cleaned the stove this afternoon & there was next to no biuld-up, of anykind on anything inside the stove. What ash there was, which was next to none, was lite & fluffy. I could have burnt for several days, without shutting down & cleaning. I normally clean everyday due to ash & carbon biuld-up, which would cause sqeaking of the auger, at the end of auger tube, from biuld-up of carbon. Everything clean-up real easily. I did back down the internal setting last night, since I never burned this kind before & not knowing what to expect. I will set her tonight at her/my normal settings. If everything looks good tomorrow after cleaning, & Home Depot still has them, there WILL BE a ton or 2 setting in my garage before the end of the weekend. VERY HAPPY!!

I burned a bunch of Stove Chow last year and for me they were the pellet of the year. They didn't take a back seat to even the few bags of the boutique brands I bought to test for fun. And the kicker is I was paying $3.74 a bag for the things. Unfortunately, I have not seen any around this year.

Stove Chow are great for me this year, I've been burning them for the last 2 weeks and they're good! I'm averaging temps between 225 and 245 degrees( output of convection blower) with my stove set on low. We've had some 5 to 10 below zero nights earlier this week and the Stove Chow kept my house around 70+ degrees with no problem. They're burning clean with very low ash. I only have to vac my stove out every 4-5 days. Stove Chow is in the top 10 for me this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.