Picking up Harbour Freight 20 ton splitter by myself. How much do the heaviest pieces weigh inside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I heard that the whole box is 440lbs. I'm getting it put on a trailer but I'm worried about unloading it.

Its pretty heavy.. the beam is whole so your going to need to move that and the other heavy piece is the motor, pump and hydrologic tank. Thats one unit.. i dont know how old you are or what shape your in, but you may need a friend or 2..

Reactions: Todd67
They're so heavy that I would never buy one in a crate. I'm talking about 22 ton splitters in general. I have no experience with the Harbor Freight splitter.

As mentioned already, you will need some help assembling it, at least two friends to left, and hold things in place while the third person bolts things together.

Man, i sure wouldn't do that. I'd have them assemble it and tow it home proper. Or buy one from Tractor Supply that's already assembled. The price isn't much different.

When I bought my Iron & oak 20ton, the hardware store loaded the crate onto my trailer, I put the splitter wheels together on the trailer then rolled it off the trailer and did the rest of the stuff in the garage

I bought a 22 ton Dirty hand tools splitter it was unloaded by truck in my driveway. The beam was quite heavy but not not impossible to move by yourself. If I had to do it again I would buy from tractor farm supply fully assembled with fluids.

Reactions: TreePointer
by your self you are going to need to get creative with some jacks and jack stands, or good old fashioned de-commissioned pallets made into supports for assembly. Chain hoist, cherry picker, all depends on what you might have. I have moved, assembled machine tools with not much more than 2x4's come-a-longs and pieces of pipe.

I put 2 different splitter together. One a 22 ton the other a 27 ton. Me and my 6 year old son did it.. he mostly watched and handed me icetea.. theres an art to it.. no hoist, no tripod. Its not super hard..

Thanks for the input. I just need to get it off the trailer really so that I can return the trailer. I'm glad to know what I'm up against now.
Man, i sure wouldn't do that. I'd have them assemble it and tow it home proper. Or buy one from Tractor Supply that's already assembled. The price isn't much different.

I live in Canada where neither of those were options for me. I had to get the HF one shipped just across the border (I'm 90 mins away) and I picked it up in my trailer today.

Thanks for the input. I just need to get it off the trailer really so that I can return the trailer. I'm glad to know what I'm up against now.

I live in Canada where neither of those were options for me. I had to get the HF one shipped just across the border (I'm 90 mins away) and I picked it up in my trailer today.
What kind of trailer is it? If it’s a ramp or tilt trailer then you can tie something to the crate and slowly pull away leaving the crate on the ground. Or you can take the crate apart and you should be able to get everything off. I’ve done it to two splitters myself and the last one was a nearly 600 pound 37 ton splitter. I did need a neighbors help on that one to raise the beam to attach it to the reservoir and wheels section but I got it all off my truck myself. Just watch your fingers and feet etc. Is this the splitter that splits in both directions?

What kind of trailer is it? If it’s a ramp or tilt trailer then you can tie something to the crate and slowly pull away leaving the crate on the ground. Or you can take the crate apart and you should be able to get everything off. I’ve done it to two splitters myself and the last one was a nearly 600 pound 37 ton splitter. I did need a neighbors help on that one to raise the beam to attach it to the reservoir and wheels section but I got it all off my truck myself. Just watch your fingers and feet etc. Is this the splitter that splits in both directions?

It was a U-haul trailer. My own utility trailer is half full of manure at the moment and it was only $20 for the day to rent this one.

Yes this is the bi-directional one. That's the main reason that I bought it. I went through a lot of trouble to get this one so it better be good. I'll find out in the spring.

It was a U-haul trailer. My own utility trailer is half full of manure at the moment and it was only $20 for the day to rent this one.

Yes this is the bi-directional one. That's the main reason that I bought it. I went through a lot of trouble to get this one so it better be good. I'll find out in the spring.
Don't forget the pichers...

I heard that the whole box is 440lbs. I'm getting it put on a trailer but I'm worried about unloading it.
I picked up the same splitter a couple years ago myself. As long as someone helps you at the store load it, I opened the crate up inside my truck when I got home and unloaded everything separately. The only thing that's heavy is the main beam and hyrdo

Reactions: VirginiaIron