Picking up Huskee 22-ton next week...saw an old friend today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine will run the tank absolutely dry.
I can split close to a cord per tank in about 90 mins.
Sounds like there is more than 1 issue with your machine, see what they will do for you.

I had problems in the beginning with an ash fouled plug and oil consumption. Seemed to improve the more I used it, no problems now.
I am guessing ring it was a ring seating problem.

I doubt if the shaft/pump or anything besides the couplers were damaged, but those are not real cheap items. Take it back and let them deal with it. Pull out of the store with a new one all juiced up.

Intheswamp said:
One other thing that I noticed is that it runs out of gas fairly quickly...quicker than if I was cutting grass with a push mower. Looking down into the gas tank it appears there is still an inch or so of gas in it when it runs out. Do ya'lls tank go dry when it runs out of gas?

Ed

My runs out of gas in exactly 45 minutes if running wide open. I can set my watch by it. (Actually I put an hour meter on it right after the initial test to see everything was working)

Well, for now I don't own a splitter. Took it back to TSC not sure of what I would do. Walked up to the girl at the checkout and said I had a splitter I wanted to return. No questions, she started pecking at her screen, a minute later she asks "Is something wrong with it?". I respond "It broke". She continues on pecking and a minute later gets me to sign a refund slip for my credit card. She acts like we're through and I ask "Do I need to pull around back and unload it?". "Uh, yes. Hold on." Then she calls someone (in the back I guess). Hangs up and tells me to pull around back. The biggest, most noted part of all of this to her was that I had a round of wood stuck on the splitter. I got around back and two guys (that I hadn't seen before) unhook the splitter without making any conversation with me. I did attempt to make conversation with them to be sure they weren't deaf mutes.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have fixed that splitter, or swapped it with another one, or whatever. But, there was no attempt by anyone to salvage the sale. The only person that has actually ever given me much hope was the lady manager that was there when I picked the splitter up to start with...everyone else has left me with a negative, unappreciative feeling at that store. That store is only 21 miles from my house, the next nearest one is 28 miles away.

I'm considering getting another one but it won't be from the close-by store...I kind of like to be appreciated when I give someone my business but I've never really felt that at this store.

As for Huskee/Speeco, I think this was just a "it's your lucky day" situation with the problem with the splitter. Speeco would have repaired it, but I'd have a splitter sitting out in the weather for a few days with a ram extended (rain on the way) and then have a repaired splitter once I got it back from a service center somewhere. Had I sensed a more hospitable atmosphere at TSC...I'd probably be getting it fixed.

Anyhow, I may buy the same model or something different. The Huskee seemed to work ok the short time that it worked. I need to do something soon, though, so I can get some of this wood split and drying!!! ;)

Ed

Spend a few more bucks next time and buy one made in the USA. (ducks and runs to go put my flame suit on)

Huskee is speeco... my 22 ton has been going strong for 5 years. It will be running again this weekend for a few cord. Bummer for you, at least they made it right...

Dieselhead said:
Spend a few more bucks next time and buy one made in the USA. (ducks and runs to go put my flame suit on)

No flaming from me, but I wonder if it's like the USA car makers. (You probably have heard that you can buy a Honda or Toyota with more USA parts than some GM, Ford, or Chrysler models.) Are ALL PARTS for I&O/Brave, Timberwolf, etc., made in the USA? SpeeCo/Huskee does use many foreign parts, but they are assembled in Colorado, USA (corporate HQ).

Here's another interesting twist. Last summer, SpeeCo was acquired by Blount International. If you use/buy any chainsaw products form Oregon, Carlton, or Windsor, guess what--they're all Blount brands.

It really is getting difficult to keep up.

I'll be honest about it....the short time that I used the Huskee it seemed to split the oak "ok"...and I found that it was enjoyable...at one point I started worrying about running out of wood to split. ;)

Everything seemed fairly sturdy, but I have no experience with other splitters to compare it to.

From a newbie's eyes it seemed that the "stand" that holds the hitch-end up was a little "iffy"...seems it would rock a little back and forth....I like the stand on the Speeco splitters better.

I like the cheap B&S motor (if it only had a bigger gas tank)...I had almost thought about buying a spare engine to "mothball" for the future. Seemed to crank pretty good. One thing I noticed was that the oil "silvered up" pretty quick. I probably only ran it maybe two hours, probably more like an hour and a half, and the oil definitely was getting a silver-look to it. If you get one of these motors you definitely want to do the 5-hour break-in oil change!

I don't think putting a file on the wedge would hurt things, but as it was it split that water oak pretty good.

Even when working on the nasty elm I checked the hydraulic fluid reservoir and it was warm but not really hot....that's a good size tank on it.

When I got home with the splitter I check the temperature of the wheel hubs. One was only mildly warm while the other one was hot...not so hot to blister your hand but definitely warmer than the other one. I could tell a little grease and slung out from under the grease caps. I could also tell that one cap was caved in from being beat onto the wheel after the wheel was installed...that was assembler abuse.

Paint on the base of the B&S 675 engine was already flaking off...may have been from being roughly handled by person assembling it. The rest of the machine looked pretty good, though. I don't know how the paint would have held up.

The cradle is very nice. You can sit a bit round on it and you don't have to worry about it rolling off like I would imagine it could on a flat beam. It's also easy to spin the round on the cradle to a more favored spot for the wedge to hit it at. The cradle for horizontal splitting is a nice feature.

The valve worked ok, I guess. It would engage the ram when held and stop when released, except when it got pushed to the very end of it's stroke and then it seemed to keep the engine loaded up. ??? Once you nudged it firmly to retract it would fully retract the ram. The only part I was a little curious about was it loading the engine up when it came to a stop at the end of a full stroke. ...at least that's the way I remember it.

It is a basic machine, probably like most of them...so simple a cave man could do it. :roll:

continued to next message....

...continued from previous message.

When I carried it back I actually drove slower than I did when I brought it home (35-40 rather than 40-45 mph). I figured if I decided to let'em fix it it would have 60 miles on it by time I got it home and I wanted those to be at least "gentle" miles.

I talked with Kevin with Speeco's customer service. I had talked with him prior to buying the splitter and he helped me by explaining different things about splitters. He offered to do what he could to get my splitter up and running and was a perfect gentleman during it all. Had it not be for the attitude of several people at TSC I would probably have fixed the machine and gone on about things. But...when I ask the manager about the quality of their assembly and he responds nonchalantly "We've never had a problem" and really doesn't seem interested in selling me a splitter...when I have a self described TSC "certified mechanic" stand there and tell me that it's ok that the engine oil only touches the tip (maybe to the shoulders) of the dipstick and then he gets aggravated when I point out further that the hydraulic fluid is 1/2 inch below the add mark I couldn't help but wonder about them fixing the splitter for me or for that matter assembling a replacement unit for me. I just didn't feel good about that prospect.

Equipment breakdowns happen to all brands...and normally at the beginning of service during the "BREAK-in" period...somebody didn't tighten a set screw tight enough or use some loktite on it. I've not ruled out another Huskee primarily due to two things...my experience with this one while it was working and for Kevin's at Speecos honest desire to make it right for me. I think Kevin should be considered an "undocumented" luxury feature of the splitters.

Nope, as mad as I was at the splitter, I'd probably still have it if some people at this particular TSC had treated me like I wasn't an idiot or something. (Which I may be an idiot or something, but they didn't have to treat me that way!) I very well may buy another one...but it won't be at this TSC...and the $120 or so of dog food each month will come from elsewhere...along with the occasional book, trailer part, oil, etc.,etc.,.

Anyhow, I think the Huskee's are ok but a few folks at this particular TSC...maybe not.

Ed

Oh, and I lost a piece of red/water oak in the return...I would've had to cut it out from between the wedge and the foot. It made the 21 mile ride held tightly in the death grips of the Huskee.

Ed

Same exact issue with the one I picked up today. It is getting taken back tomorrow. Haven't decided if I will return it or have them fix it.

Ed, it is a sad fact of life on how some businesses are run. We have found the very same thing at different tractor supply stores. One is good, another is terrible. It was the same with the Quality Farm and Fleet stores. Well, we also find the very same thing at Home Depot or Lowe's. One store might be good and the other rotten; it all depends upon the people and from there it goes to the management. After all, they are the ones who hire and train the people on the floor. So you can not judge all stores by the experience you have at one store.

We've even run into a store that maybe was the first time we've been there and found it to be terrific. However, the next time we went back they were jerks. A shame to run business that way.

Good luck on your next splitter.

lukem said:
Same exact issue with the one I picked up today. It is getting taken back tomorrow. Haven't decided if I will return it or have them fix it.

I sent you a pm. Contact the Speeco rep.

I took a refund and today more or less "ordered" one from a different TSC....your timely experience has me re-thinking the purchase.

Ed

Yeah, this sucks. The 22 ton splitter has a good rep too. I KNOW that you shouldn't have to, but really this is a 90 second check/fix if you get a new one. It is nothing but an allen screw and proper adjustment. Its too bad that some slacky is the cause of so many bad feelings over a proven piece of equipment.

Well, I was supposed to pick up the new 22-ton splitter this evening. Nice lady from this TSC called and said they couldn't get the unit to prime. I asked her if she was talking about the hydraulic system and I think I lost her, but she was nice enough about it. They will be putting another one together for me tomorrow and I'll be picking it up Thursday.

Jags, thanks for reminding me...I'll have a hex key set in my pocket when I show up. ;) It might be a learning experience for them and help some body else out down the road. :)

Ed

Intheswamp said:
Well, I was supposed to pick up the new 22-ton splitter this evening. Nice lady from this TSC called and said they couldn't get the unit to prime. I asked her if she was talking about the hydraulic system and I think I lost her, but she was nice enough about it. They will be putting another one together for me tomorrow and I'll be picking it up Thursday.

Jags, thanks for reminding me...I'll have a hex key set in my pocket when I show up. ;) It might be a learning experience for them and help some body else out down the road. :)

Ed

Bring a SAE and a metric set. I wish I could remember what sizes I ended up having to use. I think one was M4.

lukem said:
Intheswamp said:

Ed

Bring a SAE and a metric set. I wish I could remember what sizes I ended up having to use. I think one was M4.
Thanks for the heads-up. I've only got a SAE set, looks like I need to pick up a metric set.

Ed

What happened?

the little chinese guy that put it together the first time screwed up the 2nd time too.

Ok, here goes.

I called Monday and ordered a splitter. TSC, Troy, Alabama says it will be assembled and ready the next day. That is fine with me.

I get a call the next day...they couldn't get the splitter to "prime". They'll have to assemble the other one for me but they are getting in inventory that day so it will be two days later when it will be ready. Well, we were supposed to have very heavy rains for Wednesday so Thursday is fine.

Thursday afternoon I call Troy and inquire about the splitter. A guy I hadn't spoken with (had been a lady up until now) told me to hold on and he would check on it for me. I was on hold for a couple of minutes and he came back with "yeah, they've got one put together back there" and I said "...and it's got my name on it, right?". "Yeah" is the reply. Ok, so after work I hook my trailer to my old Cherokee and make the 30 mile trip.

I walk in and inquire with the girl at the checkout counter. She calls the back and talks with somebody. She then starts checking some folks out that came up after me. Me? I'm just standing over there trying to figure out if someone else is coming to help me or what. Finally after a few minutes a guy (turns out to be the manager) comes from the back pulling the splitter. He doesn't say howdy or kiss my **s or anything. I look at the splitter and the first thing that gets my attention is that the engine is completely covered in greasy hand prints. I then see a big puddle of hydraulic fluid on top of the tank. Hmmm, I'm beginning to feel a little bit like...what shall we say....like someone that didn't give a rip put this thing together. Ok, but not to pass judgement so quickly I ask the manager who is standing there like a mute zombie if I can check the hydraulic fluid....he goes and finds me a crescent wrench. The fluid is actually a touch overfilled.

I replace the breather cap and proceed to the engine....engine oil again only touches the very tip of the dipstick...actually lower than the other unit was. About that time I see the valve lever...it's just kinda hanging there....the pin and cotter key is in the lever but the lever isn't attached to the valve!!!...it's just hanging there. The mute zombie realizes something's wrong when I hold the lever up and ask "what's this?"...by the time he gets back with the pliers I already had the lever installed and the cheap cotter key bent over.

The zombie manager wanders off to do managerial nothings at the counter. It's about this time that I spot two little bolts. You know, those two insignificant bolts that attach the tongue assembly to the tank/engine assembly. You know....the ones that hold things together and keeps the tank and engine from breaking free while you're traveling down the road and crashing head-on into a family of circus midgets coming home from the bingo palace. Yeah!!!...*THOSE TWO BOLTS*... Well, it's nothing big really, but I notice that the lock washers are, well...loose enough to wiggle between the nut and the flange on the tank/engine assembly...one nut freely loosens when I twist it with my fingers...the other nut I had to strain as much as I would to take the cap off of a bic pen to loosen it. They were not even finger tight. The manager/zombie is close by and I ask him what holds this thing together when your pulling it down the road...he kind of stutters and I interrupt with "how about those two loose bolts?".

That's when I tell him I think I will pass on this unit. And that's when he casually grabs the splitter and pulls it toward the back...not saying "I'm sorry about this, we'll get it right", or "I'm sorry you drove all this way", or "I'm late for the night of the living dead", or nothing...he just walks away apparently not caring that he's losing a thousand dollar sale. I'm left standing there so I turn and walk out....not getting the $50 worth of dog food I needed to have got. This is what just blows me away....the "I don't give a sheet" attitude. I may end up ordering a splitter after all...I'm running out of nearby TSC's to try....and running out of patience, too.

I've penned a letter to TSC that I'm putting in the mail tomorrow. Who knows?...somebody might just respond...or they might just stand there mute like a zombie.

This is getting to be ridiculous!<sigh>
Ed

Wow, that really stinks.

For what they are, I like the the two TSC's around me. The guy that puts equipment together at the one closest to me did a good job on my 35-ton splitter, but your experience is totally unacceptable.

I'm wondering if I should go thru mine and check all the bolts now!

Ran it for about 45 minutes last night with no issues. Coupling still where it should be.

I was looking at the product reviews on the TSC site yesterday and the latest two reviews (not mine and prob not yours) mentioned defective couplings too. Looks like they need to tighten up a manufacturing process.

This is to the point beyond ridiculous now. What is wrong with this company? I can understand a mistake now and then and even some bad experience from a store, but this is way beyond that. So sorry to hear all this.

Prediction: Ed will never again enter a TSC store.

I didnt have time to read all the posts. but Will tsc not take it back and give you a new one? i had a problem on mine and had to bring it back and swap for a new one. they even credited me 50 bucks for the hassle. just stick on them and make them give you a new one. shouldn't be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.