Picking up Huskee 22-ton next week...saw an old friend today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ecocavalier02 said:
I didnt have time to read all the posts. but Will tsc not take it back and give you a new one? i had a problem on mine and had to bring it back and swap for a new one. they even credited me 50 bucks for the hassle. just stick on them and make them give you a new one. shouldn't be a problem

To save you time reading all the posts: he already did that.

The letter has been mailed...actually seven of'em....executive officers, board of directors, and Speeco. I had a little help editing it, was suggested (as many of you suggested) to shorten it...it's still four pages but no mention of third eyes.

We'll see if they respond....

Ed

I just called two businesses fairly close to me that are listed in Speeco's "store locator". The first place I called said we're too far south for log splitters and that the freight is too high...that TSC has them and that I could them...I thanked him for his help. The second call I made state that the number had been disconnected. Kinda sad.

Ed

Ed, I do hope you get some response; positive or negative. Just get some response. Hopefully this company will also look at this as a good feedback on how those stores are doing in the customer service or customer relations area. However, I just hope this all has a positive ending to this sad story.

Yeah, Dennis, I hope I get a response. I got "delivery confirmation" for the letters so I'll know when they arrive at the destinations. I need to hurry up and decide what to do about a splitter, though, so I can get some of these rounds split and drying!!! ;)

Ed

You'll get a reply. Tractor Supply is publicly traded and no CFO can sit back and let something like this go unresolved. A paying customer can't get satisfaction despite three attempts? Somebody is gonna get taken to the woodshed, pun intended.

richg said:
You'll get a reply. Tractor Supply is publicly traded and no CFO can sit back and let something like this go unresolved. A paying customer can't get satisfaction despite three attempts? Somebody is gonna get taken to the woodshed, pun intended.

I guess my signature line is causing a little confusion...only two attempts so far. The 3rd one is yet to be seen. :)

Ed

It really stinks you have had so much trouble with your splitter. I just ran the thirteenth cord through mine this weekend and it has been ok so far. After reading your thread I pulled it in the garage this afternoon changed the oil and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Hope it gets resolved for you.

certified106 said:
It really stinks you have had so much trouble with your splitter. I just ran the thirteenth cord through mine this weekend and it has been ok so far. After reading your thread I pulled it in the garage this afternoon changed the oil and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Hope it gets resolved for you.
certified, I'm glad your splitter has done you good. I splitter really isn't the issue, it's the wasted time but mostly the attitudes that I ran into while trying to get a good one that has put me in a funk. I would *probably* buy another Huskee but looks like TSC has a monopoly in them down here.

I'm sure the situation will be resolved one way or the other.

Glad you checked your unit over...did you find anything that you had to tighten or whatever?

Ed

certified106 said:

Hey certified, I started my splitter Friday afternoon and split for just a little while. I'd guess we are on at least our 213th cord now or somewhere in that vacinity. I hope yours lasts even longer than ours.

Intheswamp said:
certified106 said:
certified, I'm glad your splitter has done you good. I splitter really isn't the issue, it's the wasted time but mostly the attitudes that I ran into while trying to get a good one that has put me in a funk. I would *probably* buy another Huskee but looks like TSC has a monopoly in them down here.

I'm sure the situation will be resolved one way or the other.

Glad you checked your unit over...did you find anything that you had to tighten or whatever?

Ed
Nope couldn't find anything wrong with it. I will say that the return hose will be getting replace with one that has strain relief on it eventually as its prone to linking to easily.

Backwoods Savage said:
certified106 said:

Hey certified, I started my splitter Friday afternoon and split for just a little while. I'd guess we are on at least our 213th cord now or somewhere in that vacinity. I hope yours lasts even longer than ours.

Dennis if im still able to pick up a chainsaw after 213 cords I will consider myself lucky. I hope you get another 213 out of it. Keep on keeping on!

Every time I look at this thread I am reminded of my splitter. Bought it in 1988. From day one it sounded different than any splitter I had used before or have used since I bought it. After twenty years of splitting five to six cord a season I was rolling rounds out of the trailer one day and one took off down hill and hit right on the end of the Briggs carb and broke it in half. Best I could find for a new one was ninety bucks. I said the heck with that and bought a HF Honda clone and went to take the old engine off. When I pulled the cover off the Lovejoy coupler there was no doughnut to be found. The coupler was not installed correctly and the screws were tight. Obviously installed wrong at the factory and ran without the doughnut all these years. Ran metal to metal the whole time. One tough hydraulic pump I am here to tell ya.

BrotherBart said:
Every time I look at this thread I am reminded of my splitter. Bought it in 1988. From day one it sounded different than any splitter I had used before or have used since I bought it. After twenty years of splitting five to six cord a season I was rolling rounds out of the trailer one day and one took off down hill and hit right on the end of the Briggs carb and broke it in half. Best I could find for a new one was ninety bucks. I said the heck with that and bought a HF Honda clone and went to take the old engine off. When I pulled the cover off the Lovejoy coupler there was no doughnut to be found. The coupler was not installed correctly and the screws were tight. Obviously installed wrong at the factory and ran without the doughnut all these years. Ran metal to metal the whole time. One tough hydraulic pump I am here to tell ya.

HEY!!!....my splitter ran metal to metal, too....just not as long as yours. :shut:

Ed

Ed, I hope they make it all good for you and their respective stores received some badly needed training! I'm taking a chance and will be picking up the 22 ton splitter at TSC this coming Saturday...my daughter knows the store manager and I got a $$ deal I could not pass up...sure hope I made the right call!

I pulled the trigger on this as it appears they are phasing out the non-carb compliant models and the newer ones are considerably more $$.

muncybob said:
Ed, I hope they make it all good for you and their respective stores received some badly needed training! I'm taking a chance and will be picking up the 22 ton splitter at TSC this coming Saturday...my daughter knows the store manager and I got a $$ deal I could not pass up...sure hope I made the right call!

I pulled the trigger on this as it appears they are phasing out the non-carb compliant models and the newer ones are considerably more $$.

I think you'll have a good splitter. Just check out all the bolts and screws (lovejoys) and the fluid levels. Change the oil at the initial break-in period. After only maybe a hour or so of actual running time the oil in the one that I had was already silvered up. If I manage to grab another one I think I may make two break-in oil changes...one at maybe 2.5 hours and one at the 5 hour mark.

Great on getting a deal on the splitter!! Tell the manager you've got an evil twin brother down in Alabama that needs a deal, too! ;)

Ed

Ed, be happy to get you one but I think your drive up will eat up your savings! This is good timing for me as I just lucked out on a CL ad and she has several cords for me to take.
Good luck...will be interesting to see just how responsive/caring TSC big-brass are.

Well, the letter that I ended up mailing was four pages long. Backwoods Savage helped (alot!) on taming the raging beast within it. He agreed it might be better if it was shorter but after wrestling with it for a few days I decided to send it on in it's (edited) entirety...without mentioning my third eye. :) Thanks Dennis and all of you for your help, suggestions, and support.

The letters were delivered to TSC this past Saturday. Today around 4:30cst I was surprised to receive a sincerely apologetic phone call from a gentleman from TSC in Brentwood, TN. The gentleman that I spoke with assured me that what I experienced is not what TSC wants their customers to experience.

Apparently they are investigating my experiences to some degree and by some statements the gentleman from TSC made they have already talked some to both stores involved. I don't think this was merely a "we've got to respond" type of contact that was made with me.

He asked me if I was still interested in a splitter and I told him that I was. He told me that if I would give them another chance that the assistant manager of the Greenville store will call me when they have the unit that is there checked out *well* and ready to be picked up. He went on to ask me what days would be convenient for me to pick it up.

During the entire conversation I felt that he was genuinely concerned about keeping my business. He was very apologetic and seemed appreciative that I took the time to write them. I don't know if he would want me to name him but he wasn't one of the people that I addressed or cc'd the letter to. He did state that his office was about 25' from the president's and the chairman of the board's offices and that one of them brought the letter to him. He gave me a direct number to him and I think I will be hearing from him again to follow-up on the outcome.

Basically, by the end of the business day that they received my letter they have responded in a very timely, receptive, and apologetic way and if nothing else have made me feel a good bit better about doing business with TSC. I'm beginning to feel that even as big as they are that they do care about the folks that made/are making'em that big. I'm impressed...so far.

And the best thing about it....hopefully I'll be splittin' wood by the weekend!!!!!! ;)
Now if somebody will turn the temperature back down...it's gettin' hot in Dixie!!!

For now, refer to the last line of my signature...that's where we're at.

Ed

ETA: Of course it could all be a trick and when I get there they all jump on me and start beating me with liverwurst dog treats!!! "RUN BABY!!! IT'S AH SETUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :p

That's good news! It would have, of course, been better if they would have treated you like this the first time. Hopefully they take these kind of customer problems as a wake up call. So thanks for sending it in.

When you talk to that guy again would you mention that they could use some price tags and try restocking drill bits and sockets more than once every 2 months ;-)

Yelp, it made me feel better about things, Jack Wagon. About an hour ago SpeeCo called...fast response from them, also. They're talking with TSC now and hopefully folks won't run into the situations that I ran into.

When talking with the SpeeCo guy I inquired as to what size bottle of oil was Briggs&Stratton; shipping with B&S675; engines. He told me (which I already knew) that they were 18 ounce bottles...the engine manual calls for 20 ounces. Two ounces doesn't seem like much but that is 10% of the required oil in the B&S 675 engine. I think in the future customers won't have as much problem with low oil in the new 22-ton units. ;)

The Speeco guy was just as nice and apologetic as the TSC guy was yesterday. At least both of them seemed to be sincere with what they said to me.

The assistant manager also called to let me know that they had a splitter ready for me and wanted to set up a time for me to pick it up so that she will be the one that I deal with. She seemed as nice as the two gentlemen were. She definitely wants to be there when I pick it up, though as she said she could come in early if that would help. I may try to pick it up tomorrow sometime...otherwise it will be Thursday. I'm still a bit hesitant being as I guess the same mechanics will be working on it. ??? :blank:

Ed

I'd hope that TSC would knock 10-15% off the price for all your trouble and inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.