Picking up Huskee 22-ton next week...saw an old friend today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the store manager wants you to go in the back room to show you something, don't do it! :lol:

BrotherBart said:
If the store manager wants you to go in the back room to show you something, don't do it! :lol:

I don't know about this. He did state that the store manager was a "she". ;-)

Ed, this is great news and hopefully in the end all will be well for both you and the company. For a company to respond so quickly and favorably says much about the company. Let's hope the product exceeds the expectations.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ed, this is great news and hopefully in the end all will be well for both you and the company. For a company to respond so quickly and favorably says much about the company. Let's hope the product exceeds the expectations.

Ditto that on everything working out for all parties concerned, Dennis. I was impressed by how fast both companies responded. There words seemed sincere both in wanting to have my business and apologizing for the situation. The gentleman from Speeco understood the "food chain" of retail business so that even though the bulk of the issue was a personnel issue with TSC that it affected him and Speeco, also. He stated that they will be re-evaluating their training courses for TSC employees. I will be watching for the 2nd stage to kick in (or not) and will probably video it when I get to splitting some tough stuff.

Zags and BB....I'll be on high alert if I'm invited to the back!!!

Ya'll reckon' I need to carry that last round of the #&^$&@#!!! p*ss elm with me to let them demonstrate to me how well the splitter works? I could video the certified mechanic splitting it. Thoughts anyone? :coolgrin:

Ed

I can't imagine why you wouldn't take a couple of rounds with you, just to test run the machine before taking it home. After what you've been through, I think they'd understand why you want to do this. If there's a problem on the first couple of rounds, they'll see for themselves what's going on.

By all means. Take something that is tough to split and make them show you it is okay.

I'm disappointed that you had to suffer through some idiots, but around here TSC is actually pretty good for a big box store. There are people there who actually have owned tractors and know something. When I was shopping for my splitter, the sales associate showed me how it split some elm and maple rounds they had on site and said that if there's any wood that I thought would be a challenge for it, bring it in.

Ed, glad to hear that you may have a positive outcome after all! I know for a fact that the store manager(and I'm assuming all TSC full time people) can buy most anything at TSC and get a 15% discount....I would be disappointed to hear from you that this was not done for you! Heck, they ought to deliver the splitter to you and offer to split the first cord for you! :)

Short note here...

I received a letter from Jim Wright, Chairman/CEO this morning. Basically following up on my situation and apologizing personally for my troubles. He also allowed that the Regional VP that I talked with earlier had worked out a discount for me. We'll see what that's about. So far they've been a class act A.L. (after letter).

I'm leaving in a few minutes heading over there and going to carry with me that knarly piece of elm.

Thanks for the feedback and well wishes. I'll report back with the outcome.

Ed

PS...BB and Jags, I'm carried my wife with me to keep me safe! ;)

Intheswamp said:
PS...BB and Jags, I'm carried my wife with me to keep me safe! ;)

Good thinking. Nobody messes with a ticked off woman. :)

Well...

I got a splitter. The associate manager that wanted to be there when I picked the splitter up wasn't there (she told me she worked from 12noon til quitting time...I don't think she told me she was off on Thursday afternoons but...). Anyhow, *everybody* there was super nice and *everybody* knew I had had problems.

The "certified" mechanic came up while I was beginning to look the machine over (I think they called him in while I was at the checkout counter). The engine oil was ok but when I checked the hydraulic fluid it was basically at the bottom of the breather cap...kinda overfull-looking. I noted a little concerned/defensive/angry/fear/panic look streak across the mechanic's face when I noted that but after a moment he pointed out that we were sideways on an incline. We moved the splitter up to a level spot and it helped a bit on reducing the level...but it was still overfilled and I think he was still worried about it...I told him not to worry, that it'd spit it out if it was too much....he offered to take some out. It wasn't long before we had a good banter going and got him smiling. The younger guy was a lot more friendly this go'round, too. There was also a lady clerk that was there most of the time with us kinda overlooking things.

After checking the fluids I told them I had a couple of pieces of wood I wanted to split. I think I startled them a little when I opened the back of the Expedition and grabbed that big big piece of @"(*&$@!!! elm. ;) I really think the mechanic got a kick out of it because it had to drop down into granny gear to bust that knarly piece up. The motor loaded up just a tad, the ram slowed down and smashed on through that twisted @&(#&@(&!!! elm. I did not let off the valve handle and the motor did not bog down as bad as the first one would. This one really seemed to split better. I went ahead and busted that piece up...it was about an 18" that had a nice flare to it from being so close to the stump...it slowed down a few more times but when I had a quarter of a round it would split it with little problem. After finishing that piece up I grabbed a 14" piece of red oak and quickly split it up. No problem.

I feel this splitter is a better splitter than the first one. When I was splitting the @(#&#$*$!!! elm it did not bog the motor down to the point where I felt like I needed to back off of the valve handle...the first splitter made me back off when splitting rounds of the same tree. After shutting the splitter off I talked with the mechanic some and he said that he had talked with the customer service that I spoke with on the phone. He also talked with Kevin who he said walked him through checking every bolt, nut, screw, etc.,.

After checking it out and getting some feedback from them regarding the preparation of the splitter I went back up front and paid for the splitter. They knocked $100 off, basically 10%, not equal to the manager/employee price or whatever but I appreciate what I got.

I got my receipt and went to the back where I'd left them hooking up the splitter. There was a problem when I got there.

Seems my 2" ball that I have used for the last ten years on the Expedition to pull pontoon boats, john boats, trailers, etc.,. was too big for the Huskee's 2" hitch. :-/

I kid you not. I was about to throw my hands in the air, walk back up front, get a refund and leave but the mechanic was determined to get it fixed. The 2" hitch on the Huskee would only go half the way down on my 2" ball. We tried everything but the ball was too big or the hitch was too small. The mechanic got some 2" hitches off the shelf and they fit the ball....he took the OE hitch off the splitter but then none of the aftermarket hitches fit the Huskee's tongue...either the bolt pattern was wrong or width was wrong. He ended up getting a new 2" ball and trying it in the Huskee hitch...it worked. So, I've got a new 2" ball...it just seems kind of strange that my old ball wouldn't fit. I've got a cheap plastic set of calipers I'm going to use to compare those two balls to each other. We finally got it hooked up and went home.

When I got home I checked the wheel hubs and they were even warm after the 20+ mile ride home....the first splitter had one hub that was warm and the other hub very warm to mildly hot. For some reason I feel that this splitter is a better build and if the mechanic followed Kevin the Speeco rep's instructions I feel that things are put together ok. That ball/hitch thing is kinda strange, but I'll check some of my other hitches out on the ball and see how they do.

continued....

...from previous post.

As for "consideration" that they gave me I figure that they paid for all my wasted gas and then paid me 65-cents a mile for my time and trouble...
$100 plus tax off of the splitter ($109.50)
new hitch ball I offered to pay for but they "donated" it ($10.94)
Total consideration: $120.44.

I figure I spent about $35 on gas for the trips involved prior to this one so let's say they gave me $85 for traveling 130 miles, my time, and wear-and-tear on the vehicle. Nothing great, but better than nothing and better than them simply writing them off. What I feel is better than the $$$ is that the mechanic, the younger guy, and myself I think are "ok", and that means a lot. I've found that as I get older that having contention and strife are things that I really detest. I'd much rather smile and greet someone than to see them and have contempt for them...being human it is easy to fall into the latter situation but it's very good when you get rid of that situation.

When I left the TSC store me and the mechanic shook hands. He told me if I had a problem with the Huskee to bring it back to them.

I told him not to worry, I would. ;)

Ed

. . . and they all lived happily ever after. ;) :)

Good ending Intheswamp. Valid, well written letters of complaint when justified often result in a positive outcome . . . as do letters of praise when someone or some company goes above and beyond what is expected. After a few weeks of use if everything is working out well I would not hesitate to send the very same people (and the store) a thank you letter expressing just how pleased you were . . .

Glad this situation worked out for you in the end. I'm a bit surprised at the discount they gave you, in a disappoointed way after the hassle you've been through, but whats important here is you, the TSC customer is happy with the outcome.

You are a stronger Man than I....Had problems with a new 260 and 880 that was set up wrong! After telling them on the 260 they had the wrong sprocket 10 times the teck ask well where in the hell did you buy this from! I said YOU! lol sometime you just get into a nightmare, but things also seem to work out if they have good people in place.

It worked out....kind of figured it would when I read the initial reply you received from your letter(s). I won't be receiving my splitter until Monday(4/18) afternoon but you can bet I'll be checking EVERYTHING on it bfore I start the engine!
I thought for sure you would have received the 15% discount but as you said what you got was better than nothing....happy splitting to ya!

I decided to delete this post as it did come across as sounding greedy on my part regarding the discount they gave me. I didn't feel good about it when I posted it. If it hadn't been good enough I didn't have to buy the splitter, right? ;) Thank you, Treepointer, for the reality check.

Ed

TreePointer said:
If it's $100 off the $999 sale price, then I'd be happy at this point.
Yelp, I'm happy, but the thing I think I'm happiest about is that the unit was gone over very carefully before I picked it up. Hopefully this spitter won't leave the vicinity of my woodpile any time soon. ;)

Ed

Ed, this is fantastic news, even if your balls are wrong!

It sounds as if this will all be a happy ending and I'm so happy that the mechanic and others came across. You did excellent by taking that $%*#^& elm with you and now you know what the splitter will do. May this thing serve you even better than ours has and may it last even longer.

Congratulations Ed. You did fine.

I've got about 5 tanks of gas thru my new huskee that had the same broken coupler as your first one. It has been a champ. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow for good measure. I think you'll be happy with it.

Intheswamp said:
TreePointer said:
If it's $100 off the $999 sale price, then I'd be happy at this point.
$999 is the regular price, not on sale.

Ed

Hmm, maybe there's regional pricing. Here, the regular price moved to $1099 last year, and it will drop to $999 for a week or two on sale. And there also is the additional 10%-off coupon that comes around every so often. Regardless, I think $100 off whatever the sale price may be is something with which I'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.