Picking up split hardwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Local Craigslist ad for about 3 cords of cut and split hardwood (maple, oak, etc...no pine). Been down for about 2 years, buyer is asking for $200 obo, its local to me so I'll go have a look. Obviously I want to minimize my outlay for the maximum return, what is reasonable for this, assuming its not rotten or waterlogged and that I can drive right up to it and toss a load in my pickup. I can carry probably 1/2-3/4 cord in my pickup I think (full size chevy with 6.5" bed). I wouldn't mind running down there ar lunch daily to get a load till its gone since its about 15 minutes from my office.

Should I offer $100 for the pile and I'll move it out as best I can or offer $20 per truckload or somethign along those lines? There were no photos on thier ad.

I am concerend that I will not have enough wodd for the winter (being my first year with the stove I was the grasshopper this year and didn't start cutting and seasoning in the spring so now everything I've got is green.

Thanks.

If the ad is realistic, and the wood is in good shape... I'd say it's a pretty good deal at todays prices. Go over and take a look with 200 in you pocket, but feel them out... maybe it will be a pain to load, or not near 3 cord..... offer less, and see what they say.

If its two cord and dry $200 is a steal at this time of year.
Tough to know how much is really there and what shape its in until you get a look at it.

Just got the photos off the phone. Don't really think its 3 full cords, more like 1.5-2.0 but maybe my eyes are wrong too, What do you guys think? Looks like good wood...about half or 3/5 split, the rest is large rounds and a couple 6-8' lengths. I'd say the biggest length or round is under 20" diameter.

Thoughts? I'm inclined to offer $100 for the lot and see where it goes, under the presumption that its more like 2 cords, but I don't want to intentioanlly be a dink either.

Attachments

• IMAGE_138.jpg
    IMAGE_138.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 733
  • IMAGE_140.jpg
    IMAGE_140.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 624
Well the split stuff certainly has not been split for 2 years. Tough to say on the total that's there. Since you yould have some work to do cutting and splitting. Looks like its in a decent spot for loading. I'd say a good deal for $100 without being a dink.

On another note.... what the He** is that thing in the left of the first picture with all the tassles hanging down?

Also, looks like some of the split wood might be a bit long - will it fit in your stove? That's another bargaining point - you'll have to split the rounds, cut some of the longer split stuff, etc. Don't pay more than $100.

I am not kidding when I say I would charge him the wood for cleaning up that part of the yard.

Harley said:
On another note.... what the He** is that thing in the left of the first picture with all the tassles hanging down?

I was wondering that myself. It looks like a poolside bar or maybe Lucy's Phyciatrist booth from the Peanuts all dressed up. Looks kind of beat up to me...in fact almost everything there looks kind of beat up. The owner of the home looked kind of beat up...

$100 offer it is. There is alot of work there, but it all appears to be decent wood. I'll toss it in and see if it hisses...can't be worse than the green birch I'm hissing through right now.

Stove is a Morso 3610, so it can hold up to 22" splits. Most everything there already split looked short enough to stuff in my stove.

isn't it funny how everything on Craigslist sounds nicer than it ever is? At least I can pull the truck right up to the pile...

I looked at the pics again and change my opinion - I agree with BrotherBart. If you took it for free you'd be doing the guy a favor. Not sure about your area, but where we live you can just about drive around and get all the wood you need free. I keep gloves in the truck and often stop on the way home from work to ask if I see wood in somebody's yard. The wood you posted pics of should be free.

mayhem said:
isn't it funny how everything on Craigslist sounds nicer than it ever is? At least I can pull the truck right up to the pile...

Ain't it the truth? I don't think I have ever seen a wood stove on craiglist that has been used more than five times.

Including this one.

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 492
Well it was used 5 times...but each time it was run for 700 consecutive days in a damp environment.

Or it was used 5 times, but then they took it out put it outside for 6 years.

Harley said:
Well the split stuff certainly has not been split for 2 years. Tough to say on the total that's there. Since you yould have some work to do cutting and splitting. Looks like its in a decent spot for loading. I'd say a good deal for $100 without being a dink.

Harley,I can tell you what it is but i dont want to get baned from this site. :coolsmile:

When the neighbors see you cleaning that up they may just come out and pay you for doing it!

First thing I thought of when I saw that "White thingy"

Attachments

• Eat me.jpg
    Eat me.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 288
I offered $100 for the two piles they have...cash is in my pocket. They went pellet instead of wood so I'm guesing they got a score a year or so ago and then got the other stove so they probably are trying to get a pallet's worth of money for the wood.

They said it took 2 trips with a "large truck" and a landscape dump trailer to get it all there...I think I can haul it all away with 3-4 trips in my pickup.

Guess we'll see what they say. If they turn me down I might go up a bit becuase I really do need the wood, but I don't think its worth $200 to me. She said they started at $250, but didn't get any nibbles at all. I'm guessing I might be the only interested party at the $200 obo they posted on the web. They advertised it as all cut and split, which it clearly isn't.

mayhem said:
I offered $100 for the two piles they have...cash is in my pocket. They went pellet instead of wood so I'm guesing they got a score a year or so ago and then got the other stove so they probably are trying to get a pallet's worth of money for the wood.

They said it took 2 trips with a "large truck" and a landscape dump trailer to get it all there...I think I can haul it all away with 3-4 trips in my pickup.

Guess we'll see what they say. If they turn me down I might go up a bit becuase I really do need the wood, but I don't think its worth $200 to me. She said they started at $250, but didn't get any nibbles at all. I'm guessing I might be the only interested party at the $200 obo they posted on the web. They advertised it as all cut and split, which it clearly isn't.

pay 100 if the want more its up to you
don't forget you need to cut and split as well asmove it
185 bucks for cord here in mass i would saty 100-150 tops
200 is for one cord and then you have to haul then cut and split a cord?
you figure people get truckloads of logs delivered for 400-500 and get 8-9 cords
thats 50 bucks a cord delivered!

babalu87 said:
First thing I thought of when I saw that "White thingy"

That's hilarious . . . "Cut the cake !"

$100 at most, let Sanford and Son call you in a couple days when they figure out you are a decent guy and am
doing them a favor

Status
Not open for further replies.